Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Now that it is almost time to open gifts >

Now that it is almost time to open gifts

Now that it is almost time to open gifts

Old 12-24-2011, 04:42 AM

I put them away.
My decorating style is simple and spare. You don't see your gift, I use it at "this" time of the year, or last Christmas. When I move, (I have 4 times, I purge). The only things I DO keep, religiously are from my kids. I'll gift the ugly stuff back when the time comes.
MaryKatherine
Old 12-24-2011, 04:54 AM

For those of you who will get gifts you are going to regift, try labeling the gift as to the year you received it and who gave it to you. " Received from Suzie Jones, 2011" That will ensure that you don't give it to Suzie in 2013 or to her nearest relative. Merry Christmas to all.
Old 12-24-2011, 05:06 AM

Originally Posted by Kim Bohannon View Post
I love gifts like that, because I usually keep them a year or two and regift them to someone else! Only problem is in remembering who gave the gift to me originally so they don't get it back! lol
Put a little piece of label on the bottom with the name of the gifter.
Old 12-24-2011, 05:33 AM

Originally Posted by TanyaL View Post
For those of you who will get gifts you are going to regift, try labeling the gift as to the year you received it and who gave it to you. " Received from Suzie Jones, 2011" That will ensure that you don't give it to Suzie in 2013 or to her nearest relative. Merry Christmas to all.
Good Idea.
Old 12-24-2011, 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo View Post
I say all the usual stuff like thank you, how charming, etc. and I make a game of it for myself to see how I can get the item in someone take home pile without them knowing. I have even slipped the box/bag into their car in with their other items. Sometimes I receive a call saying I got someone's gift by mistake. I say 'oh no one has mentioned losing a gift to me. This works if you have a group of people that don't see each other a lot.
Too Funny!
Old 12-24-2011, 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by TanyaL View Post
Now that it is almost time to open gifts are you dreading to find gifts from people you truly love, but gifts that you don't want at all? I am frequently given knick-knacks that are meant to sit upon my shelves or tables and look decorative. My question is, how many years do they think I will dust these things? I have a few dearly loved pieces I have willingly dusted for 37 years or more. I have some I have dusted for 2 years. I have others that are kept in a drawer and only brought out to display when the donor is coming to visit. Most of the gifts are in the category of, "If I put this on the shelf,I have to take off what is there now. NO WAY. I'll regift this new gift, or just put it in for Goodwill." But that gives me a guilt complex. How do you deal with this problem? How do you keep from getting your decorating all messed up with things you would never ever have chosen to buy yourself? I usually use them for awhile, but then what?
I just tell everybody in advance what I want. That is what I get. My house looks like a flea market from all the past knick knacks I have received.
Old 12-24-2011, 11:03 AM

this makes me think of the time we went to DH's aunt's 90th birthday party. We got her a card and an angel pin. I figured, people who have them, like them, if she didn't have one she could have this one, if she didn't like it, at least it was small. I mean, what can you get for a 90-y.o.?

We went with DBIL and DSIL - SIL announced she had bought a gift that was "From all of us" - a carousel horse on a stand, well over a foot tall. Totally useless. At least she did not expect us to contribute. I hope no one ever buys me a carousel horse, especially when I am 90.
Old 12-24-2011, 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by ptquilts View Post
this is why I have asked NOT to get presents. too much stuff...

Now cookies and photos of GK's are exempt from this request...

BTW, if you ever get caught in the situation of a gift-giver being at your house and asking "where is the gift I gave you?"
--- the best answer is, "oh, (fill in the name of someone from the other side of the family that gift-giver does not know) was visiting, and she loved it so much I gave it to her." It's even better if you can add, "and she collects them!"
I can't IMAGINE anyone having the nerve to ask where a gift is!!
Old 12-24-2011, 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by ptquilts View Post
this makes me think of the time we went to DH's aunt's 90th birthday party. We got her a card and an angel pin. I figured, people who have them, like them, if she didn't have one she could have this one, if she didn't like it, at least it was small. I mean, what can you get for a 90-y.o.?

We went with DBIL and DSIL - SIL announced she had bought a gift that was "From all of us" - a carousel horse on a stand, well over a foot tall. Totally useless. At least she did not expect us to contribute. I hope no one ever buys me a carousel horse, especially when I am 90.
I would've loved the horse. I've collected carousel horses for years, little ones on up to a full-sized real one from comedian Lou Costello's private carousel.
Old 12-24-2011, 11:38 AM

What a marvelous idea. Everything is useful to someone.