Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
first time paper piecer!!! >

first time paper piecer!!!

first time paper piecer!!!

Old 01-10-2012, 06:02 AM

These are great. I have not tried this yet but, I will get brave enough someday.
Old 01-10-2012, 06:37 AM
Power Poster

they look great. i've never tried pp.
Old 01-10-2012, 06:42 AM

Great job!! I just use the cheapest copy machine paper I can find, and shorten my stitches way down.
Old 01-10-2012, 06:55 AM

Welcome to the world of PP - I am also a recent convert but I love, love, love it! I recently joined another thread, the BOM 50 paper pieced stars using Carol Doak's book of the same name. We are piecing a star a week for 50 weeks. You should join in - the blocks are fun and it is a great way to learn.

I use plain old copy paper to piece on. The only drawback I have found is a tendency to curl when the iron is too hot. I have not tried any of the PP papers (Carol Doak also has her own line like June Taylor) but when I have some extra money, I may give it a whirl. So far the copy paper is working just fine!

Great job on your blocks - you have some nice colors going on there. Have fun and check out the thread on 50 paper pieced stars under BOM/BOW.
Old 01-10-2012, 07:13 AM

I love to paper piece. With the exception of having to pull out all the paper when I am done. But I do love the results. it makes everything look fab. I am currently paper piecing a full size top for my dd. it is taking around a year but it is my project that is on the back burner because I want to take my time and do it right. I am thinking of entering it into a quilt show when it is done. Carol Doak is the one who I learned from from her books. I also love to get free patterns from the internet. if it is free its for me. As for the paper I just use printer paper. it works for my purposes. and it gets the job done. I would like a thinner paper and have used note book paper before. but I am too cheep to buy special paper that is more expencive.
Old 01-10-2012, 07:14 AM

Love your blocks - they are a great style and colors are wonderful. Perfect way to start out your PPing journey!

No one ever told me that I should fear PPing, so I just dove right in, used patterns from Quilter's Cache, printed out on recycled printer paper, read her easy instructions - and have loved every one I've done. Also helped that I saw a demonstration while on a Shop Hop so I saw how simple it really was. I guess it's like everything else, it always seems more formidable than it really is, just start small and simple and work your way up ... and don't forget to stop and ask for help here on the QB if you hit a snag. Have fun on this new adventure!
Old 01-10-2012, 07:18 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by sahm4605 View Post
I love to paper piece. With the exception of having to pull out all the paper when I am done. But I do love the results. it makes everything look fab. I am currently paper piecing a full size top for my dd. it is taking around a year but it is my project that is on the back burner because I want to take my time and do it right. I am thinking of entering it into a quilt show when it is done. Carol Doak is the one who I learned from from her books. I also love to get free patterns from the internet. if it is free its for me. As for the paper I just use printer paper. it works for my purposes. and it gets the job done. I would like a thinner paper and have used note book paper before. but I am too cheep to buy special paper that is more expencive.
SAHM ... I use 20 lb photocopy/printer paper.

I found the paper removal annoying too ... til I shortened up my stitching real tiny. Sometimes the pieces pop off a little too easy, and some painters tape works as a bandaid til the block is done!

To avoid a mess when removing, I keep a small shallow tray next to my machine. When it's time to take off the pieces, I pull them off and put them in there. Then to the garbage can. Makes for a no-mess easy clean-up of those pesky little pieces.
Old 01-10-2012, 07:23 AM

For paper piecing, I bought a 3 pack of newsprint sketch pads at Staples, went to the copy shop and had them cut 1/2 inch off width of the paper so that it would run through my printer. the pads of paper were relatively cheap, and cutting all three of them only cost $2.50. the pads were 9 x 12 but I only cut it to 8.5 by 12, the extra inch wasn't a problem with my printer, or you can tell your printer you are using a custom size paper and change the size to 8.5 x 12 Can print my paper piecing designs on this, and it tears off much easier than anything else I've tried, including paper sold as paper piecing paper. . My daughter in law has done 2 large paper piecing quilts and the pieces were printed on newsprint.
I also use this paper to print applique designs and quilting and embroidery designs on so that I can just sew over them, works great. I did several gift bags this way for Christmas

I imagine you could by reams of newsprint paper online that are the standard 8.5 x 11.
Old 01-10-2012, 08:17 AM

Great job. Don't you just love paper piecing? I do, and I always just use cheap, cheap, cheap copy paper. I can get a ream at Wal Mart for a bout $3.00. I use a 90/14 needle most of the time, and use a very, very tiny stitch. I've never had a problem getting the paper off. I did read on this board that someone suggested dampening the seams on the paper side if you have a hard time removing the paper backing.
Old 01-10-2012, 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by jcrow View Post
I need to buy that book. I took a paper piecing class one time and feined a headache to leave because I wasn't following the teacher and couldn't figure it out. It seemed hard. But if there is a good book that does step by step instructions with pictures and actual blocks, I'd love to try it. Does this book have all that?
Once you learn the basics of peicing it really isn't hard. One of the lady's at the fall quilt retreat in Astoria taught me the basics and I have done a scrappy heart top and a tulip basket wall hanging so far. I love the technique. Carol Doak also has a web site you can look up with free patterns to use. To me the hard part is making sure that the fabric is in the right place when you sew, so that it will cover the area it is meant to. I love the technique.

I use tracing paper you can buy in the craft section.

Davis2se; I dampen my seams with a damp Q-tip, it does help in tearing the paper.

Last edited by valsma; 01-10-2012 at 08:28 AM.