Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Is It Time to Replace My Cutting Mat? >
  • Is It Time to Replace My Cutting Mat?

• Is It Time to Replace My Cutting Mat?

Old 01-16-2012, 06:18 PM

Many have asked for the name of the company where I bought my cutting mat. It is Modern School
    Supplies with a website of modernss.com (I think). The item number is GBM1824 and costs $18.99.

Last edited by Learner747; 01-16-2012 at 06:20 PM. Reason: misspelled a word
    Old 01-17-2012, 04:32 AM

I rarely use the mat measurements. If you avoid using them, your mat might last forever. And a larger mat gives more opportunities to avoid the same-line-syndrome.
    Old 01-17-2012, 05:22 AM

Wow! My last large mat lasted about 12 years. Guess they don't make things like they used to! Are you using an Olfa cutter? I used a Martelli cutter on one of my smaller mats and could see some fast wearing. A friend told me only to use Martelli cutters on the Martelli mats (super expensive) so I only use Olfa cutters.
    Originally Posted by jaciqltznok
    I have noticed that like all things NEW, they don't last like the old ones..I have mats that are up to 18 years old..and I bought a NEW one and guess what...within the first year I noticed it had grooves worse then my old one!
    same company, same rotary blades as always...but it is like it just dissolves when you cut on it!
    Old 01-17-2012, 05:35 AM

Originally Posted by Fabriclovr
    OMG, if your mat is only three years old, you have a bigger problem than just needing a new mat. I have had my mat for over 10 years! It is perm attached to my cutting table and I use if for everything. I have olfa mats that are just about that old and look brand new. I do a lot of quilting and I don't go through a lot of blades, sounds like you are just pressing to hard when you are cutting. I had a friend that could not cut a whole quilt out because her hand would start hurting. I watched her cut one day and she was not only holding her blade wrong, but she was putting her whole body weight into each cut! 2 layers of fabric are not that thick and heavy to need a lot of pressure. She was also cutting at an angle, which was putting groves in her board. She came over and was using my board and left a couple of deep groves in mine after just a couple of cuts.. I am thinking your having the same issues. As they say 'lighten up' on the pressure, get a new board, and a new blade and start fresh with a light hand and see what happens
    Navy Mom, I think you might be on to something here. I tend to go through blades much faster than most. I usually get 1.5-2 quilts out of a blade. I know that is abnormal from what I have read here. I did a search on this board for wearing out blades quickly and it seems that there are a few of us who do that and there does not seem to be an explaination for it. I am going to try and see if I can alter the way that I am cutting, because I do find that I have to press really hard to go through 4 layers (which is my standard as I do not have room to spread out my fabic more than 24 inches until my new basement sewing room is completed). I am also left-handed so that might contribute as well.

I will buy a new board when my room is ready (if anyone is interested, I am posting pictures on Mission: Organization as the work progresses) and see if maybe I am using a bad angle.

I did try soaking the mat but that did nothing. I do like the idea of keeping it for a back-up or cutting it down into smaller sizes. Thanks!
    Old 01-17-2012, 05:45 AM

Originally Posted by humbird
    There was a thread here on the board awhile back (probably quite awhile!) about rejunivating (SP?) mats. Putting them in the bath tub with water was one way, not sure if it was soaked or not. Maybe you could find the post. I don't know how, but wouldn't mind reading it again.

My mat must be 15 years old. Still working well. I don't use the lines on the mat to cut on however. I line up the fabric on the lines at times, but use the ruler measurments to cut, so am always cutting in a different spot.
    This was now I was taught too. The lines on the mat can vary and mess us the accuracy needed for a square block. I always use s ruler to measure.
    Old 01-17-2012, 06:12 AM

I was given some instructions for cleaning a mat. Put mat in bathtub in a solution of 1/4 cup of white vinegar to every gallon of cool water. Soak for 15 minutes. Then use a squirt of dishwashing soap (ivory) and clean the mat with a soft brush e.g. mushroom brush. I would try this first before buying a new mat.
    Old 01-17-2012, 06:54 AM

I'm another that doesn't use the lines on the mat for measurments - simply to line/square up my fabric. I'd flip it over and use the back side for the time being until you get your new room set up.
    Old 01-17-2012, 07:05 AM

Just remember to reuse it for other things like bottoms of purses, etc.
    Old 01-17-2012, 07:10 AM

I have had my matt for like 10 years and it looks almost new I have a new smaller one that has been used a lot and it looks brand new, both are Olfa - wait til joanns has a 40 % off sale or use your coupons but definatly buy a new one and maybe go to a local quilt shop / guild and ask several people how the cut
    Old 01-17-2012, 07:27 AM
    Power Poster

Olfa recommends soaking them in the tub and perhaps scrubbing with a soft nylon scrubbie first. lay flat to dry. can't hurt.
    I have two large ones and the oldest is about 15 years old. still going strong and i haven't soaked it at all. no grooves. is your's new? I would contact the company. perhaps they aren't as good as they used to be.....