Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • Never too Old to Learn.............Maybe! >
  • Never too Old to Learn.............Maybe!

• Never too Old to Learn.............Maybe!

Old 03-17-2012, 03:39 PM

That sure had me shaking my head!!! LOL
    Old 03-17-2012, 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by LenaBeena
    I recently attended, with several friends, a cooking demonstration at our little rural church. We are all in our 70's and have been cooking for many years but still interested in learning new things. Well, seems we are hopelessly old fashioned. At least that is what we were told.

All of the foods we sampled were very spicy. All the recipes included garlic, hot peppers, Indian curries, Cajun spices, plenty of salt and other tongue tingling things. The young ladies liked them but we had to scrape the coatings off before we could eat them. When we mentioned we liked our foods more naturally cooked without added flavors we were told we were way behind the times and, get this, older people have to eat very spicy foods because our taste buds are nearly gone! Well, to each her own of course, but don't tell me about my taste buds!

Then came the cooking helps. Did you know you can use your cappacino machine part that makes frothy milk to scramble eggs and your paper shredder to cut pasta? Neither did I. I just use a fork to stir and a sharp knife to cut.

Best part is when we were told how to actually grow our own foods! Just buy special plants, put them in special soil you buy, in a special container you buy, under a special grow light you buy, wear special plastic gloves you buy, fertilize with special packages you buy, pick when ripe and wash in a special cleaner you buy, and eat. When they said it was so "organic" we nearly lost it. We all grew up and still live on farms, have gardened all our lives using dirt and manure and no plastic gloves, and canned and froze many, many foods to feed our families for years and years.

After another hour of such help we left, thanked the presenters profusely, and continued to do things our old fashioned ways.

Like I said, you are never too old to learn!
    I'm with you on all your points!
    Old 03-17-2012, 09:19 PM

Location: Asheville, previously Lake Vermilion, Tarpon Springs, Duluth, St Paul, Soudan

My mom learned how to put lumps into instant potatoes so my brother would think they were real. I also always thought that she was light years ahead of her time because she made frozen burgers, but then would take the inside part out with a wooden spoon, so that when one of us got home from school or work the burger could go under the broiler straight out of the freezer and the middle would be cooked.
    Old 03-17-2012, 11:23 PM
    Power Poster

....You were a very gracious group indeed. I am not quite 50, and have been doing things using the "old ways" for years. I even taught my kids what "weeds" were safe to eat and did not freak out when they tried cat/dog biscuits. Both grew up healthy with great teeth and allergy free. They still make me smile when they say mud/sand/earth is "clean dirt"....

I banned myself from attending tupperware parties. They bring out the worst in me....not a fan of plastic. Give me a glass jar anyday.

Why on earth would anyone use a paper shredder for making pasta??? Got to tell my husband this one (he's Sicilian).