Help please....

Old 10-24-2012, 07:58 AM

Originally Posted by Downtown View Post
Hi Dee,

Yeah, I've been buying those machines as well and I guess I'm too hard on them (although I haven't tried Brother... yet). I need something that can handle quilting through layers and layers. Thank you!
No, you are not being "too hard on them", the machines as sold by WalMart are JUNK. They are three rungs below the bottom rung of the quality lader. WalMart forces manufacturers to sell them the products CHEAP so they can sell them CHEAPER. The manufactures are not going to sell WM the good stuff and take a loss on it. That ain't how it works.

If you want a machine that will "handle quilting through layers and layers" you're going to have to drop some serious cash and buy a good solid machine. ~OR~ Go back in time and buy a Singer 15-91 or a 201 or one of the early all metal ZZ machines.
The modern ones just won't cut the mustard.

Joe
Old 10-24-2012, 08:11 AM

I have a 1951 Singer 15 that I LOVE. It has a reverse stitch and sews like a charm. I paid $75 for it and it's in a beautiful (and perfect condition) cabinet. I think you would be much better off with something like that than some new cheapo machine that will break in 3 months.
Old 10-24-2012, 09:10 AM

Both the Singer 201 and 15-91 will sew through several layers of denim and they both have reverse. As for a modern machine, I purchased a "cheapie" Brother CS6000i three years ago to have something light to take to classes. It is a decent machine, but balks a bit at thick seams.
Good luck in your search.
Old 10-25-2012, 02:53 AM
Power Poster

Here is a fun link maybe you can learn a lot: http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...p-t164361.html
There are other really nice older machines - search this board for a while and you will see better advice than buying a new plastic wonder.
I wish you lived closer... There are so many vintage machines out there that can easily be made to work. The 15 clones are really easy to up date the wiring, easy to clean and maintain - parts are available.
Old 10-25-2012, 03:13 AM

Any machine that I have ever used in a cabinet that had a knee lever was pressed against the foot pedal. Most of the time it is easy enough to remove the pedal and put it on the floor. IMHO, if you try the knee lever, you will prefer that action to using the pedal on the floor. It will keep the pedal from scooting around and may keep your leg from cramping.
Old 10-25-2012, 04:09 AM

Originally Posted by k9dancer View Post
Any machine that I have ever used in a cabinet that had a knee lever was pressed against the foot pedal. Most of the time it is easy enough to remove the pedal and put it on the floor. IMHO, if you try the knee lever, you will prefer that action to using the pedal on the floor. It will keep the pedal from scooting around and may keep your leg from cramping.
That was my experience, also, until I purchased my 101. there is no foot pedal, the knee control is wired directly into the machine! I talked with an OSMG and he told me Singer did this on their first all electric machines and then went to putting in a cradle for the foot pedal later on.