Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Tutorials
  • How to use Elmer's Washable School Glue (because y'all asked) >
  • How to use Elmer's Washable School Glue (because y'all asked)

• How to use Elmer's Washable School Glue (because y'all asked)

Old 03-28-2013, 03:26 AM

MaryAnn, you are not a Chicken McLittle and your good instructions have made me feel brave enough to try these tips! Thanks!
    Old 03-28-2013, 03:45 AM

I have used Elmer's on my last 3 bindings as seen in the Binding Angel on Youtube... and love it.
    Old 03-28-2013, 03:55 AM

Thanks MaryAnn, I'm glad to see the way to do written out. Usually all I see is that someone used the school glue but not how it was done. Thanks a lot.
    Old 03-28-2013, 04:19 AM

I have glued two quilts and did a table runner and placemats and love the method. I am about to do a queen size quilt that I have in three sections. The sections are full length of the quilt. I plan to glue the three sandwiches withing two or three inches of the edges, do the quilting and then join. Then, I will finish any quilting I need to do in the areas of joining. I appreciate the tip about using a damp paintbrush to smooth out the glue so it doesn't glob up. Iappreciated the lighter weight of the quilt compared to pins. In my quilting life, pins are a thing of the past!
    Old 03-28-2013, 04:30 AM

If you are going to use the glue method, don't use a polyester batt. It will just go flat if you iron it and it won't recover when you wash it. If you aren't sure make a sample piece with scrap fabric, batting and backing and iron it to be sure this will work for youl.
    Old 03-28-2013, 04:49 AM

I'm definitely going to try this for my next sandwich. I've used glue instead of pins when making binding - a la - Sharon Schamber and I used it on my last quilt to glue the binding down before stitching (I machine stitch my bindings) and it was the first time my bindings looked the same size on both sides. Yay! So the sandwich is definitely the next step.
    Old 03-28-2013, 05:36 AM

I don't have any tips just a question. Can you dilute the Elmers glue with water or something else and spray it
    on the layers? Did anybody do an experiment with this? I would not mind to have suggestions and try it out.
    Ty for your response. This board is marvelous for new tips and tricks of the trade.
    Old 03-28-2013, 06:15 AM

I too read about Elmer on this awesome board and when I tried it I fell in love with Elmer, that is washable glue... I have hardly used pins since starting to use Elmer. I now have awesome bindings and matching seams. Yes, this is one of those times that less is better. If you haven't yet tried this method, do it...you won't go back!
    Old 03-28-2013, 06:29 AM

First of all, thank you for your tute, it was very informative and clear. I saved it for later today to use on my binding. Second, when I go to glue my batting: I just bought some Quilter's 80/20 from Joann's. Will the glue work for this type of batting ? I have read other posts about gluing methods and thought that there were some posts about the type of batting to use. I really want to use the glue if it works. Anyone out there use 80/20 with glue ?
    Old 03-28-2013, 06:49 AM

I tried this on binding and love i.. Someone one here had a metal one. Went looking for one. Someone said hobby lobby in the paint area. Was not there. Tried the glue area not there. I did find in the art dept. Small plastic bottles with very small tips. $2.99 plus my coupon. If I do not like it I am not out a lot of money. Would really like the metal one because it screws right on the bottle. Any ideas where and how much? Thanks!