Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: How to use Elmer's Washable School Glue (because y'all asked)

Quote Originally Posted by susiequilt View Post
    This is one of those depends questions.
    If I had an 8 oz washable Elmer's school glue container would that be way too much for say a queen quilt or would I need two?
    Trying to see how much is too much!
    Based on my last quilt (abt 77" x 77") you will have more than enough.
    I had just a tiny bit left in a bottle and diluted it and I managed to baste
    the whole quilt with it. In fact I much prefer to dilute the glue just to
    avoid those thick spots - not good for the needle.
    I dilute the glue maybe 1:3 or 1:4. I don't measure. It was same consistency
    as whole milk. I use a paint brush to apply then set it with the iron. Try on a
    small sample and see how you like it.

This sounds like a wonderful idea. I am new to quilting & have one in process, so I definitely will try it when I am ready to make the sandwich. Thanks for sharing.

Quote Originally Posted by EasyPeezy View Post
    Based on my last quilt (abt 77" x 77") you will have more than enough.
    I had just a tiny bit left in a bottle and diluted it and I managed to baste
    the whole quilt with it. In fact I much prefer to dilute the glue just to
    avoid those thick spots - not good for the needle.
    I dilute the glue maybe 1:3 or 1:4. I don't measure. It was same consistency
    as whole milk. I use a paint brush to apply then set it with the iron. Try on a
    small sample and see how you like it.
    Thanks! That helps.
    "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
    Susan

Wow! Thanks for the tute!
    Has anyone ever tried glue basting the three layers together and then hand quilt it in a hoop? I'm wondering how the glue would hold up from the pressure of the hoop rings.
    ~~Cathy~~

Blog Entries
    On matching of seams, how much glue? and how do you apply?

Elmer's also came out with a clear school glue, which I think is better to use.
    Be kinder than is necessary because everyone you meet is
    fighting some kind of battle

in front of this dang computer instead of my Bernina!(Naples, Florida)
    Quote Originally Posted by susiequilt View Post
    This is one of those depends questions.
    If I had an 8 oz washable Elmer's school glue container would that be way too much for say a queen quilt or would I need two?
    Trying to see how much is too much!
    I just finished a slightly-less-than twin quilt, and between piecing, sandwiching, and binding, I a little more than one bottle. Better to have extra on hand!
    aka Chicken McLittle

If it's true we learn from our mistakes, I'm going to be a genius!

in front of this dang computer instead of my Bernina!(Naples, Florida)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wanabee Quiltin View Post
    First of all, thank you for your tute, it was very informative and clear. I saved it for later today to use on my binding. Second, when I go to glue my batting: I just bought some Quilter's 80/20 from Joann's. Will the glue work for this type of batting ? I have read other posts about gluing methods and thought that there were some posts about the type of batting to use. I really want to use the glue if it works. Anyone out there use 80/20 with glue ?
    Wanabee, all I use is 80/20. It works just fine. Apparently all-poly batting doesn't appreciate ironing.
    aka Chicken McLittle

If it's true we learn from our mistakes, I'm going to be a genius!

Blog Entries
    When doing large appliqued quilts, I use freezer paper for the largest pieces where fusibles would be a waste and iron to the right side of the fabric, cut out then glue around the edges, put in place, iron to set and peel away the freezer paper. Now it is ready to stitch. I also make card table playhouses from nylon fabric and make my appliques this way since nylon can melt before the fusible sticks!
    Debbie
    Machine It

Quote Originally Posted by cricket_iscute View Post
    Could you give us a link, please?
    I hope this works
    http://www.sharonschamber.com/Search...s.asp?Cat=1836
    Have a blessed day.

Linda

thanks so much for the tips, very helpful

I've been using the washable glue on bindings for years. I love the NO pins factor. Also have used it when matching a print, before sewing the joining seam. It holds everything in place so the print matches exactly.

Thank you so much for the tute and thanks to everyone who asked and answered questions and gave additional comments. I am definitely going to try this on my next runner and then work up to full size and larger quilts!

awesome........................ty

I'm thinking it wouldn't work to mix up diluted glue and put in a spray bottle, if you are planning on saving the extra. The glue would dry shut in the nozzle and trying to clear that would be a pain or impossible.

Blog Entries
    I"m printing this and putting it by my machine. Then I'm going to keep following this thread to learn more...

This is as radical to piecing as a rotary cutter was to scissors.

Many thanks.
    Mountain Woman

Thanks for the info...been using Elmer's School Glue for a few years on binding that I also learned here on the Quilting Board - here is a link to the first of YouTube series of three how to videos ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4PE0Yq9iGlc

Blog Entries
    Thanks for such a great tute.

Great tutorial! Thanks for all the info. I am going to give it a try.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by applique View Post
    When doing large appliqued quilts, I use freezer paper for the largest pieces where fusibles would be a waste and iron to the right side of the fabric, cut out then glue around the edges, put in place, iron to set and peel away the freezer paper. Now it is ready to stitch. I also make card table playhouses from nylon fabric and make my appliques this way since nylon can melt before the fusible sticks!
    Great idea. Thanks.

Linda

Amazing Grace, how sweet the sound, that saved a wretch like me. I once was lost but now am found, was blind, but now I see.
    [John Newton (1725-1807)]

http://sewextremeseams.blogspot.com/

Thanks for a very informative tutorial on using Elmer's Washable School Glue. Kelela

In one of the last Quilters Newsletter the cover photo had a quilt that had framed blocks in white, etc. They were very narrow. She said that in order to get the quilt like that she used glue too. Oh, on the batting, try using the scraps of fuseable. I took a class where the lady used lots of the stuff and you always end up with lots of scraps. Those scraps would be collected and then sprinkled on the backing and then on the batting. Hope this might help. I think that the glue on the back may be having the same problems as gluing on paper. The moisture causes the fabric to act like paper (both cellulose, and buckle) you might be asking too much of the glue done in that way. If you could try to make it aerosol. Maybe try adding water to a spray bottle and mix the glue with it. Kind of 50/50--or what the aerosol pump can handle.
    Keep away from people who belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you too can become great. Mark Twain

Blog Entries
    Thanks for the good instructions...I haven't gotten up the nerve to try this yet, but may give it a try on my next quilt project. Am in the throes of handquilting a twin coverlet now.....slow going. May have to also try something new and have my project quilted by machine. Some of them look absolutely beautiful.

I am a convert. When I read about using the glue to sandwhich the layers knew that was my method next time I layer a quilt. Using the glue to piece, I thought, not for me. Well I tried it to join the long rows of the blocks, always my least favorite part. Just amazing what it did for my accuracy. Can't honestly say it saved me any time but it sure did wonders for quality.

Blog Entries
    Bravo!! I will surely try Elmers glue next.
    Thanks for sharing your awesome tips!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast