Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Binding, Bias or Straight-cut? >
  • Binding, Bias or Straight-cut?

• Binding, Bias or Straight-cut?

Old 05-12-2013, 12:58 PM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by auntpiggylpn
    99% of the time I will cut my binding strips on the bias even if my quilt edges are straight. To me, it just feels like it "hugs" the edge of the quilt better than straight of grain. If I only have a smaller piece of fabric for my binding, then I cut it straight of grain.
    You expressed how I feel about using bias binding well.

I figure it takes the same number of square inches for a length of binding (length x width) no matter which way it's cut.
    Old 05-12-2013, 03:10 PM

I was taught that it's not necessary to bind with bias unless you are doing a curved or scalloped quilt. Otherwise I use straight binding.
    Old 05-14-2013, 03:05 AM

Ditto to straight cut binding for quilts with straight edges and bias binding for those with curved edges. While bias binding does take more fabric, it is lovely to see how nice it looks on a quilt!
    Old 05-14-2013, 03:30 AM

Originally Posted by AlienQuilter
    I have done both. I determine the cut based on the type of fabric. If I use a thick backing, then I prefer bringing the backing to the front and doing a hem around it rather than binding. I posted a tutorial over in the tutorial section on how to do this without excess bulk on the corners. The thick backing (like minkee or fleece) is much sturdier than cotton binding.

I do have one quilt with frayed binding that I need to cover up. It's been much loved so I'm not sure if it's because of the straight of grain or just lots of use over the years. The ones that I have hemmed show no stress on the edges.

The worst that I have done was buying that ribbon binding for a baby quilt. After a few washings it looks horrible.
    What is 'ribbon' binding? My first thought was 'blanket' binding, but can't imagine using it like you would bind a quilt, only edging on a blanket. Thanks.
    Old 05-14-2013, 05:24 AM
    Power Poster

Jenny from MSQC has a tutorial for binding. That's how I do it. or I purchase binding.
    Old 05-14-2013, 05:37 AM

Straight cut unless there are scallops on the edges.
    Old 05-14-2013, 07:45 AM

Oh thanks so much for asking that question. I"m working on a quilt now and it will have a striped binding, and I really wanted to used the stripes a certain way. I don't do curves ( at least haven't yet ). So it's kind of like to wash or not to wash your fabrics. Whatever suits my needs. Thanks so much.
    Old 05-14-2013, 09:37 AM

I always do bias. I actually like the little bit of stretch it gives. I usually pull on it a bit as I attach the binding to the quilt edge, so that when it "relaxes", it brings in the edge of the quilt, which may sometimes be a little bit wavy or wonky.

I don't understand why bias binding is considered more difficult, and it doesn't really waste fabric. It's the same square inches -- but I will admit the leftovers are triangular scraps instead of squares. Even if I only have narrow piece of fabric to start with, I still make diagonal strips and join them. I don't mind the seams.
    Old 05-14-2013, 09:47 AM

I usually use straight cut unless I am using a stripe material for the binding. It is so attractive to see the biased stripe bindings.
    Old 05-14-2013, 09:57 AM

I only use bias bindings and I prepare them using the "continuous strip cutting" - Wouldn't think of using any other method!