Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Precuts issues >
  • Precuts issues

• Precuts issues

Old 05-16-2013, 04:32 AM
    Power Poster

Moda pre cuts have never given me a problem. I love precuts, they make up most of my stash.
    Old 05-16-2013, 04:36 AM

Yes! I have had that happen! I have so much fabric, I don't usually get precuts. But I did just recently get a charm pack from MSQC because it was a design I had been looking for. Anyway, the squares measured 5" x 5 1/4". To me, that's just NOT accurate enough! I can cut inaccurately myself - if I'm going to order a precut, it had better be dead on! I don't think I'll be getting anymore.
    Old 05-16-2013, 05:01 AM

I just got a beautiful Jelly Roll from MSQC, Moda Circa 1835 (I think), so I was glad to read this as I had not thought about it. Thanks for the link to BearPaw Quilting, I will have to remember this when I get ready to sew them into something!
    Old 05-16-2013, 05:29 AM

I recently opened a Hoffman Bali Pop, and was very disappointed to find that the strips were anything but straight! I laid them out on my cutting grid which showed the glaring imperfections, took a picture and emailed Hoffman Fabrics. I have used many of their bali pops and never had a problem before. Sadly, they have not even acknowledge my email. I am thinking that I will find it hard to purchase any more of their fabrics, let alone precuts. A simple "sorry, you encountered a problem" would have saved them a customer!
    Old 05-16-2013, 05:37 AM
    Power Poster

I bought some on clearance and now I know why. Was informed the pattern was being discontinued (I can deal with) but 25% of the Jelly Roll strips were 2-4" short. Thank goodness I only purchased it because it was on sale. You get what you pay for. as the saying goes.
    Old 05-16-2013, 07:25 AM

I use all the pre-cuts-I do cut them and sort them and play with them. I have 4 quilts in progress right now with pre-cuts. The biggest problem is ME!!! I do enjoy shopping for fabric and I do cut my own patterns-but I can be as wonky as anything else!
    I love the MSQC 'deal' and have quite a collection. I also make my own 'kits' with yardage.
    A straight line can be harder than anything else to achieve!!
    I guess my wonky sewing makes up for any wonky cutting!!! LOL
    Old 05-16-2013, 07:31 AM

Originally Posted by tessagin
    I bought some on clearance and now I know why. Was informed the pattern was being discontinued (I can deal with) but 25% of the Jelly Roll strips were 2-4" short. Thank goodness I only purchased it because it was on sale. You get what you pay for. as the saying goes.
    Did you iron them before measuring? I have found that because of the way they are rolled up ironing is often needed to help the fabric "relax" again. Some fabrics still on the bolt will measure much less than 44" as well.
    Old 05-16-2013, 07:41 AM
    Power Poster

[QUOTE=sarahspins;6067209]Did you iron them before measuring? I have found that because of the way they are rolled up ironing is often needed to help the fabric "relax" again. Some fabrics still on the bolt will measure much less than 44" as well.[/QUOTE

Many fabrics are only 42 inches wide or narrower. (Even some of the brand names like Hoffman and Kaufman were that narrow 20 years ago)
    Old 05-16-2013, 02:01 PM

Yes, absolutely, and some manufacturers are worse than others about this. I've found Moda to be the most reliable. I suppose this begs the old maxim: measure, measure, measure!
    Old 05-16-2013, 02:05 PM

I only buy Moda also. One time I found one square was half gone. I called MSQ and they had me send it back and the6 sent me a new .