Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Storm at Sea >
  • Storm at Sea

• Storm at Sea

Old 09-06-2013, 05:39 AM

I can make 18 inch templates in a PDF through EQ7 if you would like, but you would have to make sure they printed correctly on your printer.
    Old 09-07-2013, 04:24 AM

Originally Posted by ozichris
    I've just completed a Storm at Sea (Not seasick anymore!) thread. The pattern I had was for a 15" block but I wanted a 12" block so got out the graph paper and drew it up. I also did mine using the foundation piecing method as I thought with all those bits and pieces floating around there was a huge risk of more chaos than I ended up with. Don't forget that the middle square in a square is the actual block and what is around it is the sashing. Hope this helps.
    I had figured that out about a minute before I got to your post. The diamond and square-on-point strips are SASHING.

Those diamonds would be so much easier with paper piecing. No special rulers needed. Paperless paper piecing would be even better. You fold your pattern at the seam line and sew NEXT TO the paper, not through it. You can use the same piece of paper to make about 20 or more of that block.
    Old 09-07-2013, 06:16 AM

Draw your pattern out on graph paper and photocopy. I had the best success with Storm at Sea when i paper pieced it and then there were no problems. love to paper piece anyway. It is by far the easiest way to go.
    Old 09-07-2013, 06:46 AM

Check out Pam Bono's site. She has some 18" blocks that will blow you away. Her patterns are easy to follow, prices are very competitive and if you join her club then many of the blocks are free. I've been a member of Pam's Club for four years and have never had a bad experience yet. Also Deb Tucker, 180 Degree is in the title of the site, has some beautiful patterns with large blocks. She is, of course, selling her rulers which are totally amazing; but she also is a major talent.
    Old 09-07-2013, 07:35 AM

I'm doing my Storm at Sea with Fast2Cut TRIMplates. Of course, I am a ruler addict, but I've talked to people who have made Storm at Sea before and have tried these rulers, and say this is much easier. The rulers allow you to make your block components accurate.
    Old 09-07-2013, 07:51 AM

Take a diagram of any size of the block to either Staples or Kinko's and have them enlarge it for you. Measure it to make sure it's the accurate scale before you accept it and pay. Anyplace that prints blueprints can do it too, but they generally charge more.
    Old 09-07-2013, 10:17 AM

If you really want to learn how to make perfect triangles you need to learn the Square in a Square method by Jodi Barrows. She has a lot of you tube videos to study, just search just by her name or by Square in a Square you tube videos.
    Old 09-07-2013, 12:32 PM

Do you know anyone who has EQ7 computer program? I know there is a pattern on it........can't remember size....but think it even has a one block quilt you might could size in the program.
    Old 09-07-2013, 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by GrannieAnnie
    I'd be afraid 18" would lose the "storm". I'm going to do 12" when I do mine.
    I agree with GrannieAnnie, as soon as I read your post this was the first thought that came to me.
    Old 09-07-2013, 08:45 PM

Creative Grids has a Storm at Sea ruler that goes up to a 16 inch block. Take a look at their video on You Tube. It makes it look very easy with this ruler. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3QifeXERhs