Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Rag quilt question? >
  • Rag quilt question?

• Rag quilt question?

Old 09-26-2013, 05:43 PM

Haven't been told they've choked, but if you're worried about it, I wouldn't do one.
    Old 09-27-2013, 02:35 AM

Originally Posted by DonnaPBradshaw
    I think you will regret not doing an x in the middle of the sandwich. Flannel is just like any other fabric and needs to be sewn to stay together. Just my opinion, if you find it works let us/me know. Oh and I just want to add that I bind my rag quilts that I've made. I cut the binding 3 inches wide so the binding is a little bit wider than other quilts. I like the look because I don't like the itchy thought of the raggy end on my chin.
    I don't bind my rag quilts, but it sounds like a good idea, and I will probably try it on the next one.
    Old 09-27-2013, 05:07 AM

Originally Posted by piepatch
    I don't bind my rag quilts, but it sounds like a good idea, and I will probably try it on the next one.
    If you do, don't cut the quilt before you bind it. Let me know how you like it. I'll try again to down load a picture for you to show how a raggy quilt looks my method. My quilting friends thinks I'm crazy to bind a rag quilt. Oh and I open up the seams when I put the binding on.
    Old 09-27-2013, 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by antiquegirl68
    I am making a rag quilt for my son and the rag quilts I have made in the past I used cotton,batting and flannel. This time I am using cotton and two layers of flannel and no batting. I did not put an x in the middle , some where I read if you have two layers of flannel together it will hold without the x. Now I am second guessing myself. Will this hold without the x?
    Having made several rag quilts, I suppose it might hold without the x in the middle, but doing the x provides
    the 'quilting' so that when it is done, it is also quilted. It has to be washed a number of times to get the frayed
    look, so I think the x would insure that the flannel in the middle won't bunch up. Just my suggestion.
    Old 09-27-2013, 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by antiquegirl68
    I am making a rag quilt for my son and the rag quilts I have made in the past I used cotton,batting and flannel. This time I am using cotton and two layers of flannel and no batting. I did not put an x in the middle , some where I read if you have two layers of flannel together it will hold without the x. Now I am second guessing myself. Will this hold without the x?
    If you are using something other than batting in the middle, you can make it the same size as the outer squares. Then no x. If whatever is in the middle is smaller the u need the x.
    Old 09-27-2013, 04:41 PM

I'm overcautious and would do something if it were mine, but it's yours so do what you feel comfortable with. jmho

Originally Posted by Geri B
    ...X keeps it from clumping later... But you can also do a circle, star, or whatever..
    Old 09-27-2013, 05:02 PM

I made one with all three layers of the blk the same size. I used flannel for all three and did not quilt with an x and did not have any problems. My squares were 7 inches.
    Old 09-27-2013, 10:46 PM

Hello from one Charlotte to another!

Originally Posted by ArlaJo
    My avatar is my first attempt at a rag quilt. I used 5 1/2 inch squares with 5 inch flannel "batting" with an X.. I am very happy with it, as is my grandson.
    Originally Posted by charlottequilts
    This is my first post, although I have learned a ton from reading your posts every day. Thanks for all the information you generously share.

There's something I've always wondered about rag quilts for babies. They seem so soft and cuddly, but do babies pull and 'worry' at the frayed bits? I know mine seemed to be able to loosen (and swallow) the darndest things, and I was always checking the stuffed animals.

It would be fiber, I guess. . . .

Hugs,
    Charlotte
    Old 10-02-2013, 08:05 AM

This was a great thread! I've been intimidated a great deal about rag quilts and I finally want to do one. I'm looking at a pattern that's half denim and half flannel. With the size I'm cutting, 6.5" squares and a 1 inch seam, the blocks are 5.5 inches finished and I will not include batting since it's denim and flannel, but I don't think I'll have to sew the X either. I hope it turns out nice. I love picking up new tricks and such on techniques I haven't done yet, in case I do them, I'll have more notes.
    Old 10-03-2013, 03:17 AM

Originally Posted by mpeters1200
    This was a great thread! I've been intimidated a great deal about rag quilts and I finally want to do one. I'm looking at a pattern that's half denim and half flannel. With the size I'm cutting, 6.5" squares and a 1 inch seam, the blocks are 5.5 inches finished and I will not include batting since it's denim and flannel, but I don't think I'll have to sew the X either. I hope it turns out nice. I love picking up new tricks and such on techniques I haven't done yet, in case I do them, I'll have more notes.
    Hi. "It seams" like a 6.5 square with a 1 inch seam yields a 4.5" block lol assuming 1inch on all four sides. Either make your square 7.5 or use a 1/2" seam. Personally I prefer and use only the one inch seam. It curls up nicely and is easier to clip. Denim and flannel will be plenty heavy w/o the middle layer. One thing about denim is it comes in weights. I never thought abouT it til I made a denim qayg and noticed the weights on the bolt labels. I used a 6 oz. for my qayg an it was plenty heavy, but if I was making a garment I might go with something a little sturdier such as a 10 oz, which does cost a bit more. Have fun.