Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What is the scoop with Joannes fabric vs QSQ? >

What is the scoop with Joannes fabric vs QSQ?

What is the scoop with Joannes fabric vs QSQ?

Old 10-03-2013, 04:11 AM

I stay away from Jo Ann's fabrics and instead use the coupons on the other stuff for quilting like batting, threads and notions.
Old 10-03-2013, 04:22 AM

Haven't bought any fabric at Joann's is quite some time, use my coupons for rotary blades and maybe thread. I stock up on basics at Lancaster PA shops, quality fabrics and low prices. The fabrics maybe last year's designs but who cares? I like to buy wider widths in creams or beiges for backings and leftover pieces are great for piecing. Think I'm pretty much stashed out. I was at a retreat in a quilt shop in Lancaster the other day and didn't even check out the fabrics, even the ones on sale! I'm trying to use up extra blocks and finish UFOs with fabrics from my stash which, although small, is getting out of hand for the small space I have for my sewing room. I used to use my coupons for Hobbs 80/20 batting but Joann's no longer carries it and I don't really care for the 80/20 that they are now carrying.
Old 10-03-2013, 04:25 AM

I don't buy much fabric from there anymore. The selection is terrible, quality mostly terrible and prices are horrendous! Many shelves are empty throughout the store. Fabric seems to be an afterthought. Lines are long, both cutting table and checkout. Sale stuff is in short supply (I need 6 skeins of yarn in blue..gee they have 2). Sales staff for the most part..not too bright or friendly!

I have shopped at Hobby Lobby. Their selection is VERY limited, quality varies, but I did find a few nice pieces at reasonable prices.

We used to have hancock fabrics, but they went by the wayside several years ago. I liked their stuff back then.

Fortunately central OHIO has several excellent LQS!!

I just stay away from Joann's on priniple. I feel like they try to pull a fast one on shoppers every chance they get.
Old 10-03-2013, 04:44 AM

Talking about fabric quality - I'm staying in the Southaven/Memphis, TN area for about 3 weeks, so I'm wondering where the best places are to shop for fabric??
Old 10-03-2013, 04:56 AM

I didn't see anyone mention it here, so let me suggest to you that you check out connectingthreads.com They have really nice fabric at very reasonable prices. I've never had a problem with ordering from them. I am almost always dissapointed when I go to our local Joannes(60miles away).
Old 10-03-2013, 05:00 AM

I buy online from Missouri Star Quilt Co. and they have very good quality fabric. I have also bought from Quilt in a Day and gotten great fabric. You just have to know who you are buying from.
Old 10-03-2013, 05:08 AM

Hancock's of Paducah is my go to place. They are having free shipping today and tomorrow. enter 32459812 in the promotional box at the bottom of the order page. Their Web sale prices can't be beat. Much better than in store sale prices. Their website is hancocks-paducah.com
Old 10-03-2013, 05:23 AM

I agree that Joann's and Hancock have inferior quality. Also, just because you find a fabric "just like" what you saw at your LQS it doesn't mean it is the same. Fabric manufacturers have at least three different levels of greige goods. These go from a nice tight weave to almost see thru. Then manufacturers may print the same design on each level and sell to different customers. While what you see at Walmart or Hancocks is just like the fabric you see at your LQS it may not be the same grade of fabric. Feel them and you can tell the difference.

I have had great luck at Hancocks-Paducah which is in no way related to Hancock's fabrics. Their catalog goes to great length to confirm this. Also from equilter.com and webfabrics.net. I have no LQS right now - all have closed so unless I want to drive 2 hours I shop on line.
Old 10-03-2013, 06:03 AM

I don't think JoAnn's fabric has changed. They just decided to raise all the prices. Makes it pretty expensive to make anything.
Old 10-03-2013, 06:11 AM

PLUS - Joann's coupons are for items "not on sale" and EVERYTHING in the store has a percentage off - sometimes a very small amount - just enough where you can't use their coupons.