Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Scrap quilt - mixing fabrics >

Scrap quilt - mixing fabrics

Scrap quilt - mixing fabrics

Old 12-04-2013, 04:28 AM

You can mix the fabrics as you desire, however if there are a few that are really thin or coarsely woven, I would discard them as they won't wear with the rest.
Old 12-04-2013, 05:37 AM

The name of that quilt just turns me off..........and the quilt itself is a bit shabby looking....I like scrappy quilts, but not this one........look around, there may be another you will like too, even if you may have to add a neutral background to the mix.
Old 12-04-2013, 06:36 AM

i mixed batiks with cottons
[ATTACH=CONFIG]449847[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  
Old 12-04-2013, 07:12 AM

being a happy to do scrappy person- and that is my totally favorite kind of quilt to work on, I would look at the Bonnie Hunter website and check out all her free patterns before settling on this particular quilt. some pretty stunning quilts can be made that are scrappy- my favorite one that I have made is a crumb block one. I don't know if I can go back to my stash to do anything but scrappy after doing some of Bonnies.
Old 12-04-2013, 07:13 AM

I wouldn't call it Scrap Vomit either; be willing to bet you were joking about that. Please prewash the batik and any other really dark fabric that might cause problems. As far as combining fabric types (not quality), that's up to you. Everyone has their own opinion as to why or why not; none are really wrong. That's why it's an opinion not a fact and you get to develop those that all your own.A few people have mentioned throwing out the poor quality fabric. Instead of that the idea of using it to practice cutting and getting your seam allowance correct is great. Then, because it will still be poor quality, donate it to someone for stuffing for bears, dolls, or my favorite. someone who makes beds for shelters or rescues. I wouldn't make it into finished beds/pads because these items must be washed hard and often, so will probably break down fairly soon and could cause injury to the animal. At the end of it all have fun; life's too short. Good luck and let us see what you decide on. Joyce and the beagles pack in DE
Old 12-04-2013, 07:18 AM

Romille, I forgot to add -- welcome and when you feel frustrated or overwhelmed just remember that all the inventive and incredible quilters on this board were beginners at one time or another, no questions are dumb except the ones you don't ask that cause you problems later on and most important, you will never find a more informed and generous group of people than all of those I've encountered on QB. I can't tell you the number of times I've gotten answers to questions before I even knew there was a question to ask. So welcome and have fun. Joyce
Old 12-04-2013, 08:22 AM

Go for it.

I mix in Scrappy Quilts.

Wash before using, may bleed or shrink.
Old 12-04-2013, 09:03 AM

I love making scrap quilts and put all types of fabric together. I do use 100% cotton or a good tight weave polycotton, but nothing that is a loose weave that will come apart. I am very careful that the fabrics are pleasing in a block, they are not planned, but I do check everything out so nothing stands out. I do like the quilt you want to make, but hate the name.
Old 12-04-2013, 09:52 AM

Edyta Sitar (Laundry Basket Quilts) mixes print and batiks in her fabric lines all the time. I encourage you to try it. Bonnie Hunter is the queen of scrap quilting....love love love everything she has to teach. However, I will warn you many quilters these days prefer not to pre-wash. They say you don't have too! I beg to differ. Every smidgen of my fabric gets pre-washed. And believe me, batiks DO bleed! I see what comes out when I wash! There is too much time and expense put into quilts to have them bleed!! Even some of the quilt shop grade bleeds....not all but some!
Old 12-04-2013, 10:04 AM

I often mix batiks with other fabric, and I always prewash so bleeding and uneven shrinkage are not an issue.