Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
First Quilt >

First Quilt

First Quilt

Old 12-09-2013, 04:36 AM

Don't discount the jelly roll race quilt pattern. It can be quite striking and it's very easy for a beginner.
Old 12-09-2013, 05:27 AM

Turning Twenty, Yellow Brick Road and Just Can't Cut It have been firsts for me... I guess it would depend on each of their tastes... as far as patterns go.
Old 12-09-2013, 05:35 AM

I realize that this comment reflects the teacher in me. The real question: Do they want to learn to quilt or do they want to make a quilt? If they want to make a quilt (in the time available) then select a pattern that is straight line sewing and joining that requires no points or special combinations. That gives the opportunity to do 1/4 inch seams (and is very forgiving) pressing, sandwiching and simple straight line quilting. A very simple binding technique would be to bring the backing fabric to the front and stitch it down. Now, if the goal is to 'learn to quilt' perhaps a sampler type quilt is in order. Provide them with a book with lots of techniques and squares using those techniques. If buying books is too costly, make one of your own by downloading information that is readily available on the internet. Have them construct small quilts, sandwich them (don't forget Elmer's school glue) quilt in a simple manner and teach them to bind in the traditional manner. This is a n opportunity for fun and fellowship sans frustration. Meet them 'where they are' and whet their appetites for a life-long passion. It sounds like you already have it.
Old 12-09-2013, 06:02 AM

Loved your answer quilterpurpledog. Over the years with friends and nieces, it's been wanting to make a quilt , not learn to quilt. After the first couple of times, I learned to ask that question, It saved a whole lot of time for us both.
Old 12-09-2013, 07:50 AM

I started a quilt with my 11 yr. old GD (before she had to go home over 100 miles away)... and kept the squares manageable... each to be 9" finished. We used her choice of scraps of colors (purples) in my meager stash...

Start with one patch: simple 9.5" square; next is a two-patch: 2 - 5"x9.5" sewn together; next split rail fence with 3 sections; next a 4 patch which now gets into matching corners, but simply... and then you can get more creative... when they see how one patch goes next to another (or get into those sashing strips... ) they will be hooked!!

Of course a smooth running machine(s) and plenty of thread is a must.
GD not only had to learn piecing but measuring, and some cutting and how to run a machine! She caught on very quickly but we still need to put these together and make it a true quilt... in time.

Good luck and most of all, have fun!
Old 12-09-2013, 07:54 AM

They are wanting to learn to quilt so that when I die they will be able to utilize all my stash and notions etc... LOL
They didn't say that is why, that is me talking... Anyway they are 51 and 52 years old... I spoke to them yesterday and we decided that they are going to go to Quilterscache website and pick out 12 blocks and make a sampler. That way they will be able to learn to make HST, Flying geese, log cabin etc. Getting excited for Feb. to come so that I can have this retreat with my daughters... They invited my 3rd daughter that lives in CO but told her if she is not interested in learning to quilt she cannot come... I think she should come so that she can cook and wait on us... What do you think?
Old 12-09-2013, 11:32 AM
Power Poster

I like 9-patch blocks paired with snowball blocks for making simple, fast quilts. Mary Ellen Hopkins always said she made simple blocks but picked fabulous fabrics - it's worked for me. There are so many simple blocks out there, I'd go to quilter'scache.com for ideas, as well as Jenny on MSQC or you tube. The possibilities are endless.
Old 12-09-2013, 12:01 PM

Disappearing Nine Patch or Disappearing Four Patch
Old 12-09-2013, 12:15 PM

Eleanor burns books on log cabins using the stripping method is the best for beginners... !! rail fence is a good one too!! Yellow brick road quilt is another easy quilt pattern...
Have fun with them .... and set up the sewing area with all the supplies needed and of course lots of hugs!!
Enjoy!!
Quiltinmama
Old 12-09-2013, 01:12 PM

I agree with the others that have said a rail fence. And I think a simple quilt of 4 1/2" squares (or whatever size you prefer) is an easy & pretty quilt, too. It's simple to cut & you get the practice of nesting up your seams. Then you can add a pretty border or two to dress it up.