Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Where should a beginer begin? >

Where should a beginer begin?

Where should a beginer begin?

Old 02-08-2014, 08:09 AM

check out craftsy.com, They have some free BOM sampler quilt classes that are free, and another beginner class that is also free. Easy patterns, irish chain, rail fence, log cabin, warm wishes. Welcome to the board!!!
Old 02-08-2014, 08:19 AM

Missouri Star Quilt company has lots of videos about quilting. If you haven't looked at that site, you would learn a lot there. If you are looking for an easy pattern to start with, try Warm Wishes, which is free online. If I were you, I'd sign up for the classes but go ahead and start a quilt now. I'd make a small quilt first. I have only been quilting four years, but I had sewn all my life. If you love it half as much as I do, you are in for a lot of fun!

You can learn a lot about quilting by googling too. Plus the folks here will answer any question, at any time of the day. I couldn't have changed the blade in my rotary cutter without help from this group.

But the best advice I can give is to not "stew" about decisions too long. Just select fabric you like and go with it. (I used to get really really upset when selecting fabric. I finally figured out that if I made a wrong decision, well, it would probably look okay when I finished, and it usually does!) Welcome to the hobby!

Dina
Old 02-08-2014, 08:23 AM
Power Poster

I would suggest looking at the website www.quiltinaday.com. Eleanor Burns has TV shows that are shown in some cities on your PBS or the RFD station. Do a search for quilt on your cable box. She is the originally simple teacher (was a kindergarten teacher) that walks you thru each steps. Always start with something small that you like. Her books are sold in JoAnn's fabric stores. I also made the transition from sewing to quilting in the early 80s. Good Luck !!
Old 02-08-2014, 08:31 AM
Power Poster

Jenny also has videos for beginning quilters. Since you already have been sewing, you'll do fine. Also You Tube has videos for beginning quilters.
Originally Posted by Knitette View Post
Hello and welcome to the board! You don't say which country you're in, but I would go to the local library and get a couple of books out. Also, some quilting magazines have basic instructions on how to quilt.

Can you sew already? (I couldn't thread a machine before I learned to quilt!) If so, quilting uses 1/4" seams unlike dressmaking. ALWAYS cut away from you and remember to keep your fingers away from the edge of the ruler!

Jenny Doan of Missouri Star - here - has a lovely relaxed way with tutorials which involve the use of pre-cuts which may be a good introduction.

Happy quilting! (WARNING - it's addictive!)
Old 02-08-2014, 08:33 AM
QM
Power Poster

I am glad I had the encouragement of my quilty guild sisters, but there is a lot of encouragement right here. I agree about starting small and simple. www.quilterscache.com has a great many free patterns, all rated as to difficulty. there are lots of good tutorials on the web, especially on you tube. Be sure to feel free to ask questions as you go along. yes, quilting is addictive! In 2000, I moved to a new town. My neighbor informed me that I would be a quilter now. I did not think so, but 500+ quilts and lots of blue ribbons later, I am very glad she was a little bit pushy.
Old 02-08-2014, 05:04 PM
Power Poster

Don't make any promises for quilts to anyone until you have finished your first projecg.

I think the biggest difference is getting used ti a 1/4 inch seam .
Old 02-08-2014, 05:07 PM
Power Poster

I would say washing your fabric before cutting it - but I know that is not really what you are asking.
Old 02-08-2014, 09:51 PM

Thanks everyone! I did play with some scrap fabric left over from scrubs I have made myself. I made two blocks, will have to get the picture off my phone, but plan on making them pot holders. I was impressed, as I winged it and they turned out pretty good!!! I will look at all the links that were sent to me! Appreciate the help!
Old 02-09-2014, 04:36 AM

Go to a LQS and sign up for a beginning quilting class! Even though I have been sewing for over 40 years and knew that I could do the sewing, I took a beginning class. It helped keep me motivated to finish, gave me someone to ask questions, and I learned a lot of tips and tricks that I would never have learned on my own.
Old 02-09-2014, 05:02 AM

I say it depends on what kind of a learner you are - but for me, I purchased a beginner book with quilt patterns that I liked, and just did it. If you are more of a "show me" type, then there are plenty of on line opportunities. Craftsy is very good, and the Missouri Star Quilt tutorials are good also - however they assume you know some basics already. I see that they have a new magazine that might be worth checking into for more detailed instruction. I was also a long time sewer, and am having a ton of fun with quilting!