Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
UPDATE!!!  How does Jenny do it? >

UPDATE!!! How does Jenny do it?

UPDATE!!! How does Jenny do it?

Old 06-01-2014, 02:46 PM

I did not think it was critical either. You will learn SO MUCH from this board. Enjoy it and continue to ask questions.
Old 06-01-2014, 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by KalamaQuilts View Post
For some here Jenny whoever will always be a sacred cow. I don't get it.

On the other hand don't even think of criticizing Bonnie Hunter

My post is with smile firmly in place...

I remember WAY back in 1996 I discovered WadesList... a whole community in what was egroups which became yahoogroups eventually.
Totally about Janome computerized machines, I thought I'd died and gone to heaven. my 9000 was the pride of my life.

Until one day I asked innocently if the person who sent **** to the list could do it in a group rather than individually.

I got fried. One person even said I should never have been born, my parent should have killed me.
It was years until I posted on another forum. The dear jane one in 1998 actually. There were flame wars there at least once a week, and it all went right over my head. I was busy quilting
Oh, how awful. I feel so badly for you. Glad you found this board ,
Old 06-01-2014, 06:26 PM

Glad you joined in on the Board. Welcome! It is hard to tell sometimes if someone is being critical. Other times, it's very plain. However, your post was not critical, but just questioning how someone can be so fast and have things turn out well. That's a question I've wondered about, too. I measure twice, cut once, and it's still usually off a bit! So when I see TV quilters just whip off something...man, I am jealous of their confidence!
If someone took your post the wrong way...oh well. Keep coming on...it's overall a friendly place to be!
Old 06-01-2014, 07:24 PM

I didn't think you were being critical. I'm a slow quilter and I wonder when I read about or someone tells me that made X number of quilts in the last month how they can possibly do it. There is a person in my guild that churns out king size quilts like there's no tomorrow but when I stopped to analyze it she uses the same pattern all the time that have few if any matching seam/points and she sends them out to a longarmer to get them quilted. That's just not my style. We don't know how many "takes" the videos that Jenny makes take so what might seem fast isn't really. Just do your thing and be comfortable with it. Quilting is to have fun regardless of the speed.
Old 06-01-2014, 07:27 PM

Glad you joined us and especially glad that you weren't put off or run off by a possible misunderstanding.

I was always taught 'if you can't say something nice....don't say anything at all'. That is still good advice to remember even in our Golden Years.

I, like you, admire Jenny Doan and her family. Her quilting skills, and people skills are to be complimented. The work that she and her family have done to benefit Hamilton MO is outstanding.

Having said that, she is encouraging a lot of beginners to try the world of quilting and doing it with a smile and an easier way to begin. Now how great is that?!

Good luck in your journey. Be sure to keep a journal of the work you complete with pictures, dates, and who received the quilt. Enjoy.
Old 06-01-2014, 07:41 PM

Welcome! Didnt think u were critical! She is quick! Amazes me! I am slow even after 4 yrs,i think ive gotten better n faster but not like jenny! Something to strive to!
Old 06-01-2014, 08:11 PM

I didn't post on the first thread, but I did read it. I didn't find your post critical, and I didn't really see any responses that seemed that others thought that, also. No harm no foul. As someone else said, there are a lot of people in the world who are just waiting to be offended.

Something that occurred to me that I didn't see anyone else touch on: They're taping a video segment, so Jenny probably only has so much time to cover a number of instructions. She could very well be speeding along to make sure she hits all the high points in as short a time as possible.
Old 06-02-2014, 03:47 AM

Originally Posted by dunster View Post
I didn't take your post as critical either. You have to remember that conversations on the board are just like conversations in real life. Someone says something, another person adds to it, and eventually the conversation takes a twist that the first person may never have intended, but it's what other people want or need to talk about.
I also did not take your post as critical either. Actually, I took it as a compliment to Jenny & all that she has done for the craft of quilting. Her business has revitalized the community she lives in & she & her family deserve a ton of credit. Thanks to you she got some of it this past couple of days with daily posts by members.
Old 06-02-2014, 03:55 AM

Originally Posted by Lisa_wanna_b_quilter View Post
It's funny how differently people can read the same post. I read your first post more as "Jenny breaks all the "rules" and yet makes great quilts." To me, it read as a compliment to Jenny and an instruction to all of us to think outside the box and work in whatever way gives us results we are happy with.

Since I'm pretty lousy at "rules", I agree completely with your post.
Yes, no worries!!! I commented, but just wanted to express my interaction with Jenny. Welcome to the blog and keep on posting!
Old 06-02-2014, 04:54 AM

Originally Posted by coopah View Post
It is hard to tell sometimes if someone is being critical. Other times, it's very plain.
If someone took your post the wrong way...oh well. Keep coming on...it's overall a friendly place to be!
Sometimes I have written something, and when I reread it before posting, I think that maybe someone might take umbrage with what I have said. You can't hear tone of voice here. I often put "LOL" after such statements telling people to take it with a grain of salt, or some such thing. We can make ourselves feel upset over the smallest things sometimes. LOL LOL LOL