Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
dealer machines vs boxed - seepost 55 for mfg response >

dealer machines vs boxed - seepost 55 for mfg response

dealer machines vs boxed - seepost 55 for mfg response

Old 07-08-2014, 06:53 PM

Totally untrue. I also agree that companies would not go to such great lengths, you are paying for dealer support and classes and sometimes the online prices are from actual dealers depending on where you buy 1600 seems pretty steep price to me
Old 07-08-2014, 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by Lisa_wanna_b_quilter View Post
I have no facts to back up my feeling, but I think I'd call BS on that one. No manufacturer is going to make two different quality machines and label them the same. The nightmare of keeping things straight in the factory would be enough to deter it.

I don't know how it works with sewing machines, but if you buy a Ford car all Ford dealerships must honor the warranty. If your dealer is 4 hours away, they are not going to be much help to your anyway should you need it.

I'm going with Lisa. Sounds like BS to me.

I bought my Accu-Quilt Go from Amazon. Am I to assume that it is a lesser quality machine since Amazon sold it? NO!
Old 07-08-2014, 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by Treasureit View Post
Perhaps Box stores don't sell the same model as the dealers?
I understood the poster to say she had priced the same machine!
Old 07-08-2014, 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by Maureen NJ View Post
I don't know about a sewing machine, but I've been told that is true when buying some things from Home Depot vs. small businesses. Eg, bath fixtures and appliances. So I don't know about the sewing machine. Anyways, I would only buy from a reputable store which is not far away so you can take advantage of classes and will be close for servicing and remedying any problems.
You are talking about a company that has its own distributors. Many of the brands found at Home Depot are Home Depot products, made specifically for them. They will not be the same as what Joe's Plumbing has, unless he buys from HOme Depot.
Old 07-08-2014, 08:32 PM

I have 3 machines. Two Juki bought on-line ( 600 & 2000). he other is a dealer purchase. I will probably never buy from a dealer again. Absoulately no after sales service. Sadly they are still in business. Also there is no guarantee they will be in business when you need them . All Brands were very helpful (on the phone) with setting uo my frame, they even called me a week later to make sure everything was working as it should.
Old 07-08-2014, 10:50 PM

What I have found is that often the machine is the same but the other things that are included in the purchase can be different. It is just like buying a computer from one big box or another. The difference in the prices is what programs and extras come with it.

At least with the computers there is a letter code included with the model to indicate the build configuration. When buying on line I want a list of everything in the box. If the purchase involve programs be sure to verify that everything is exactly the same then go for the best pricing.As far as the included lessons go be sure to find out what they plan to teach you for that extra $$$. $600 sounds like an awful lot for a lesson on how to thread the machine. Any dealer that is wanting to sell me their machine better be prepared to spend some time with me at the demo machine showing me how to thread it and use the machine.
Old 07-08-2014, 11:02 PM

That's the way I remember that thread, too. And it makes sense.
Originally Posted by Stitchnripper View Post
I wish I could find the post from one of our members who asked this question from one of the manufacturers and that person said they were the same machines inside - it would be prohibitive to have to manufacture separate inferior ones. I hope I remembered it correctly. Maybe someone else does?
Old 07-08-2014, 11:04 PM

when I purchased my Brother PC420 it was from a dealer here in Vegas. but she said if I purchased the same machine on Amazon.com, she would still honor the warranties and repairs as it is the same machine regardless of where purchased. She gave me a great deal and I got to take it home with me that day instead of having to wait for it to be shipped by Amazon. I love my PC420! sounds like your dealer is trying to bs you.
Old 07-09-2014, 12:12 AM
Administrator

it's extremely important to also compare the return policies of any vendors from which you are considering a purchase. this applies whether buying online or in person.

some will accept a return for any reason at all within a certain time period.
some will accept a return only if the time is defective. some in this category will have you jump through many hoops and endure all sorts of inconvenience until they are satisfied it's defective, can't be fixed, etc.
some will not refund, but will only exchange - after you have endured months of their process.
some will refund the whole amount paid - including shipping.
some will only refund the item price; they might or might not pay for return shipping.
some will charge a re-stocking fee.
the list of "ifs" goes on, but you get the point.

even the very best manufacturers on the market will let a lemon slip through their inspection processes every huge once-in-a-while. so it's important to make sure you can be confident you will get what you paid for; not just what they are willing to sell.
Old 07-09-2014, 03:34 AM

I have old machines that my dh can work on, I have boxed machines from Wally World that so far needs nothing, I have expensive machines from the dealers that I had service work done and not thrilled with either dealers on there service work. I would have no problem ordering off amazon. I understand juki's are good machines. Good luck with your decision.