Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • New Laundry Detergent >
  • New Laundry Detergent

• New Laundry Detergent

Old 07-10-2014, 05:52 AM

I use it and have no problem with it. It smells clean and it works.
    Old 07-10-2014, 05:59 AM

I haven't tried it, but I like other Purex products, so I'll look for it at the store next time.

As far as what I normally use, I usually just buy whatever's on sale and/or what I have a coupon for. If you watch for deals, you can get name brand laundry detergent really cheap ... often $1.50 or less. Sometimes I make my own by using Fels Naptha soap, borax, and washing soda.

I actually don't care for Tide. It costs too much (even on sale), and it doesn't agree with my nose.
    Old 07-10-2014, 09:33 AM
    Power Poster

Tide has many scents and unscented. Tide is the only detergent that will clean heavily soiled clothes and will take the grease and grunge out of my kitchen towels in the type water I have. I do not like using a stained up dingy kitchen towel or dishcloth.
    Old 07-10-2014, 09:46 AM

My quilts are washed in whatever detergent I am using. When they are given away you can bet that the recipient will not use a special detergent/ soap for quilts so they better hold up to normal washing!
    Old 07-10-2014, 10:00 AM

I buy the Tide with no perfumes. I hate it when my clothes smell from perfumes. We recently got a new washing machine. I found out that the "energy saving" models save energy by not using hot water, smaller tub size, and shorter wash cycles...voila! less energy used. What a rip off.
    Old 07-10-2014, 10:27 AM
    Power Poster

Energy or detergent savings is very low on my list to think about. I wash small loads and in hot or warm water. I do not like having a big load of laundry to deal with. I wash two to three small loads a day. One for towels, linens, etc. One of the clothing DH and I wore the day before and one of have to be white items if any. I never have laundry piled up needing to be washed doing three small loads a day. It works for me.
    Old 07-10-2014, 11:56 AM

I make my own detergent too. Five gallons at a time. Give half to my friend. For some reason I ordered 2 cases of Fels Naptha soap on line. I've got enough to make detergent till the world looks level. Go figure. My daughter uses Ivory soap in her detergent and gets good results.
    Old 07-11-2014, 05:03 AM

Default Tide did well in the August 2014 Consumer Reports rating of laundry detergents.

Originally Posted by Peckish
    Why?

I've used Purex detergent for a few years now and I really like it. The stores in my area seem to carry Tide, Tide, Tide, Tide, Tide, Gain, Purex, and Tide. I am so sick and tired of the scent of Tide I could barf. I really like the Purex scent, the clothes actually smell clean when they come out of my front-loader, unlike all the other detergents.

I have yet to see the special no color-transfer detergent you're speaking of in my area, but I'll be sure to look for it and give it a whirl.
    Tide did well in the August 2014 Consumer Reports rating of laundry detergents.
    Old 07-11-2014, 05:31 AM
    Power Poster

I have made the Naptha soap detergent with the washing soda and borax. It wasn't great but would do in a pinch and the novelty wore off after about the second batch. LOL.
    Old 07-11-2014, 06:40 AM

Originally Posted by sewmary
    My quilts are washed in whatever detergent I am using. When they are given away you can bet that the recipient will not use a special detergent/ soap for quilts so they better hold up to normal washing!
    Same here. There's NO way I'm going to give someone a quilt, then tell that person the quilt needs special detergent, etc. I would hate to be given a 'gift' like that.