Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Yikes! Is this true? >
  • Yikes! Is this true?

• Yikes! Is this true?

Old 07-31-2014, 07:14 AM

They tell you to change your car oil every 3000 miles but most of the books say 7500. Go figure. I go by the sound of my machines. I clean for lint often and even have one if those little vaccums that you attach to a reg vacuum.
    Old 07-31-2014, 08:33 AM

I don't mind taking mine in for a checkup each year; I paid more for my machine than I paid for my first 3 cars put together (literally, I did the math) so I don't mind protecting my investment with checkups. I knew about that requirement up front and figured that in as part of the cost of buying the machine. I don't sew every single day but I sew pretty much every single weekend, and some weekends I don't do much besides sew; so I figure I'm putting some decent mileage on the machine.

Plus I kind of like visiting my dealer and checking out what's new and exciting. I don't usually buy anything, but I like to look around and chat up the shop owners and look at the vintage machines that have come in. Never hurts to be on a friendly, first-name basis with your local dealer.
    Old 07-31-2014, 09:25 AM

What she said!
    Originally Posted by Peckish
    The "oil-emitting bearings" are sealed, so the oil will not dry out or evaporate.
    Sounds like the tech was trying to make you anxious so you'd come back to him more often. Would have the opposite effect on me.....
    Old 07-31-2014, 09:22 PM

My new Bernina 880 will be going in for regular checkups every 12-18 mo. I want it to last for a long time. DH sells & services FW's. & singer 301's so I don't even have to take care of them.
    Old 08-01-2014, 03:46 AM
    Power Poster

I go along with Sewbizgirl. Give me the old time machines and I am happy
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]485857[/ATTACH]

This is a picture of my long arm set-up; which is an early model Singer 66 that my husband redid for me. I love them
    Attached Thumbnails redone-singer-66.jpg  
    Old 08-01-2014, 04:56 AM

I have an old Bernina 930 that sews beautifully. It was about 10 yrs old when I bought it and I never took it for a tune-up for about the first 10 yrs I had it because it just kept purring along. I cleaned what I could get to and oiled what I knew to oil. The foot petal came apart, so when I took it to be put back together, I decided to have the machine cleaned and tuned up. First thing they did was replace the feed dogs. (They were about smooth!) Then gave it a much needed de-fuzzing all in the motor area (which I could not get to) and general cleaning and going over. When I got it back home, I felt like I had a new machine. It even sounded different! Now it take it back every couple of years for a good going over and, while it appears to be sewing fine before I take it, it always sounds different after a good cleaning. I want this baby to keep purring a LONG time, so I've decided I will not wait 10 yrs any more before cleaning.
    Old 08-01-2014, 06:12 AM

Very few newer machines have built-in oil wells. The Bernina's oil wells are all consumer accessable. I don't know about the Brother embroidery machines.

The reasons the newer machines don't need as much oiling, is 1) because there are so many plastic parts. We oil where metal rubs on metal -- not where plastic rubs on plastic. And 2) because the stitches are created with stepping motors, not with cam stacks and tracers -- there's just not as many mechanical parts.

When you take your machine in for a service, we remove the covers and clean deep, to get the lint out of the gears. We also oil the internal shafts. That's something you are not likely to do yourself on a newer machine. I tell my customers that if they sew every day, they need to have a service every year. If they don't, please don't go more than 5 years without a service. Believe it or not, that lint can damage the gears. You'll know the gears are in trouble when your machine sounds rough or binds when you turn the hand wheel.

The older machines that are open on the bottom, can easily be cleaned and oiled. However, the older your machine gets, the more likely the old oil will turn into a gummy substance. They also need a deep clean by a professional every once in a while, to remove that old oil.
    Old 08-01-2014, 06:30 AM

I take mine in when it needs service, that is usually every year or 2. It gets expensive, but my last reading was 325,000 + hours on embroidery, was used when I bought, but that is the only thing I use it for. I guess when you use it that much they get in need of help. Each is different, my mechanical machine is 45 years old and has only been in 4 times, so you just have to go by each machine.
    Old 08-01-2014, 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl
    I wouldn't buy a machine that needed to see the doctor once a year. I don't neglect it, either. I do what it needs myself. Our 'foremothers' didn't bring their old Singers in for an annual checkup! But then... I don't have any computerized machines. Strictly mechanical and vintage.
    Our foremothers didn't have machines that did all the beautiful stuff our newer computerized machines do. I think that having vintage machines is fine for those that that is all they need, but some people like all the goodies on some of the computerized machines (I'm one of them) and I don't consider it a big deal to take them to the "doctor" once a year. Heck, I go once a year, my dogs go twice a year, why shouldn't my other "best friend" have the same treatment?
    Old 08-01-2014, 01:05 PM

I have a Bernina 930,its easy to get into and oil. The Bernina 1031 has an inner "skin" that prevents me from getting in there to oil, I can only oil the hook; 16 screws to get inside it.
    My HViking 875 is mostly plastic, it goes in every 2 years for service.
    Sharon