Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Where do you buy your thread for long arm machines? >

Where do you buy your thread for long arm machines?

Where do you buy your thread for long arm machines?

Old 08-10-2014, 05:50 AM

I'm also a big fan of Glide...but I also take in many quilts...if I were quilting for myself solely I might suggest you try metro embroidery thread ...you can Google them for the web site. They sell large 5,000 cones for around $2.75. It runs fine through my machine though I recommend a thread net.
Old 08-10-2014, 05:52 AM

I got an Avante for Christmas, a gift from myself. I absolutely LOVE it. I have quilted 35 quilts since getting it going. I get my quilting thread from www.createforless.com. They carry many brands, but my favorite is YLI. I find their prices very good, free shipping over $100 spent, very easy to do when buying cones of thread. They also carry other crafting and sewing supplies. I have found the cheaper threads to be lintier than the more expensive threads. I would also suggest you practice with threads you intend to use. You get a better feel for tension settings, etc. They don't all stitch out the same, I found. I also have a Viking Mega Quilter, which is the same as the Tin Lizzie, but have had many issues with the machine having to go back to the factory for months at a time for bearing replacement. That machine is very picky about thread and needles. The Avante is very "amiable" to any thread.
Old 08-10-2014, 06:08 AM

I have the Avante and get my thread from Superior, good variety and their daily deals are good.
Old 08-10-2014, 07:18 AM

I've tried different ones and settled on Connecting Threads Essential Pro - the price is good and I've never had any problems with it!! Happy quilting!!!
Old 08-10-2014, 07:59 AM

I would suggest to anyone to try different brands & types of thread in both your domestic sewing & your mid/longarm machines. Some you will like, some you won't, some work great, others so-so. Just because others are having great luck with one brand doesn't mean you will. I know thread isn't cheap, but sometimes you get what you pay for. Ask me how I know!
Old 08-10-2014, 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by MamaHen View Post
I would suggest to anyone to try different brands & types of thread in both your domestic sewing & your mid/longarm machines. Some you will like, some you won't, some work great, others so-so. Just because others are having great luck with one brand doesn't mean you will. I know thread isn't cheap, but sometimes you get what you pay for. Ask me how I know!
I agree! Start with a single spool of brand and see how it works for you.
Old 08-10-2014, 08:35 AM
Power Poster

Another vote for this. I also quilt for others and myself. I use many types of threads and some of my favorites are superior and glide but I found this out over time.

Originally Posted by bigredharley View Post
I agree! Start with a single spool of brand and see how it works for you.
Old 08-10-2014, 02:58 PM

I agree with buying single cones of different types and finding the ones that both you and your machine like best. My Gammill seems to like King Tut or SoFine best(but different size needles and tension settings); YLI is ok but I sometimes have top tension problem, and while I like the look of Glide on some(too shiney on some)quilt, I have to use a thread net on it and find that the ends fray, so have to be aware of that. Bottomline is good in the bobbin when you don't want to change bobbins often!
Old 08-10-2014, 07:16 PM

love my Juki QVP - had some issues with skipped stitches using the regulator, however got excellent service from Grace Co and problem solved. I buy from Superior Threads - mostly the pre-wound bobbins and King Tut yarns. I also get my needles there too. I like the red snappers for putting my backing and top onto the Grace Co apron leaders.
Old 08-10-2014, 09:12 PM

I have the Tin Lizzie 18 and I only use "Signature" thread from this site:
http://www.longarmsupplies.net/