Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How would you respond to this? >

How would you respond to this?

How would you respond to this?

Old 04-11-2015, 05:21 AM

Originally Posted by luvstoquilt301 View Post
Where is the class being held? If it is a LQS or some place like that---you could say it is their policy. I think the 10 per cent discount is perfect.
I can answer that, Audrey's class is held in her quilt studio, which is attached to her house. It is a beautiful quilt studio, the envy of all.

Dina
Old 04-11-2015, 06:00 AM

Grammie bj has the best answer...Have it printed on the class announcements and also post a sign in the classroom! If your friend has enough nerve to ask if she can come with her friend it will be easy for you to explain why that is not a good idea. She could come to the shop and look around while the class is in session so her friend wouldn't have to come alone.
Old 04-11-2015, 06:39 AM

You probably don't usually have anyone help you get people paid etc. but you could for this one time to alleviate the issue...

One of my local shops has a different person at the register who does the business part of signing people up and payment and such. Here's how they do it: they have a 1/4 sized sheet of paper printed up with blanks for your name and class name/time etc. and lines running down the page and then they run it like a tab. If the teacher shows a book, or recommends a new presser foot, marking pen, or something during the class and you want to purchase it the teacher writes it on your tab. The tab continues (even payment for the class can go on it when you haven't pre-paid) until the end and then you cash out. It was a surprise to me to see it done this way, but it is very efficient and separates the business side of things from the fun side. It also gives them a chance to "sell" during the class. Maybe you could work something out like that and have a friend/shop owner work that out with you, at least a time or two to get it rolling. After that you could go back to being on your own but using this procedure.

In the case you presented it might be a shock for the person who is being so rude as to want to come with someone for free to get a "bill" with the class fee on it but you could say something like you're trying the pay as you go style and let it go at that. Or make a bit of a joke of it in the class setting if confronted directly in front of others..I think of it as a user fee...or maybe something about everyone being equal and each seat in the class is for paying customers. Peer pressure alone should nip it in the bud. Good luck with it!
Old 04-11-2015, 06:41 AM
Power Poster

Just be honest and say I have had a couple of people come to be with new students and not take the class for themselves it didn't work at all. Your friend will be dependent on you and that makes me feel uneasy all during class. For the future have the No Pay, No Stay rule printed on the sign up list. My guild had to post in big letters NO PAY NO STAY at all workshops and classes. Some thought it was just fine to sit and visit and not take the class.
Old 04-11-2015, 06:58 AM

I can see all sides but the suggestion I like the best is "she is welcome to come and get the friend settled but not stay, come back and pick her up after". I also have a hard time going places I don't know anyone.
Old 04-11-2015, 07:08 AM
Power Poster

I would let her know that her friend needs to sign up for the class if she wants to attend at all. Then she can try to play catchup and no discounts. One time full fee!!
Originally Posted by AudreyB View Post

I am a quilt teacher and teach several classes a month. One of my students, who comes to many of my classes, is a good quilter and a very nice lady. She told me today that her friend wants to take my beginning quilting class---and she will come with her! She didn't ask if she could come with her friend, just told me that she would.

I don't need an assistant. Someone attending my class and not "taking" the class is a distraction not only to me but also to the students. My classes are small because of limited seating and I take care of every student.

She said her friend was shy and wouldn't know anyone in class. Most people in my classes don't know one another before class. I appreciate her kindness to her friend, but not the interference with my class.

How do I tell her, without offending her, that I don't want non-students in class. I don't want to lose her as a friend/student, and she didn't take the hint when I suggested her friend would be okay.

Sadly, this isn't the first time this has happened. It is the third, and it's been three different people. I don't understand the presumption of people, but mostly I don't know how to handle it.

Any suggestions?
Old 04-11-2015, 07:24 AM

Are you sure that when this lady said she would come with her friend, she meant, as a non-paying observer? The other times this happened, did you know ahead of time that the observers were coming? I think, first, you should take some definite steps to eliminate this problem for future classes. Establish an official policy in your mind, and then have it clearly stated in your sign-up materials, your studio and in any other promotional materials you prepare. I'm not sure what the best way is to state what should be obvious: If you don't pay for your seat at the class, you don't attend the class. I think including the idea that 'observers are a distraction' would be good. This might not occur to non-teachers, who may think, the more the merrier. In the future, when someone informs you that they're coming with their friend to class, you will have an answer ready: 'You're welcome to come if you pay for the class, but you already know all the techniques I'll be teaching, and observers tend to be a distraction to me and to the people who are there to learn.' It's best to deal with it when the subject is brought up.

As far as the current situation, you may have to choose between having the class environment you want and insulting/losing your friend/customer. If you tolerate her presence this time, you can preclude it happening again by taking the steps mentioned above. You would avoid a direct confrontation, and though she might suspect, she won't know that the policy change connects specifically to her. If she asks, you could just say that it's been a problem several times, so you had to make an official policy.

If you don't want to deal with your friend attending this class, I think being frank is your best option. Tell her you've been thinking about what she said about coming with her friend, and it's been weighing on your mind because of past experience of people's friends attending class with them, and would she please tell her friend that she won't be able to accompany her because you have a policy that only those paying for the class can attend.
Old 04-11-2015, 07:49 AM

I have a shy friend that wants me to go along w her to Disneyland. Can I go for free??? Same shy friend want me to accompany her to the movies. Can I go for free??? As I see it, the same applies here? Only tact will be required.
Old 04-11-2015, 08:26 AM

You could give her a call and say "I was finalizing the class preparations and headcount for Saturday's class and noticed that you have not signed up (paid your fee) for the class as yet. Do you still plan on attending? If so, I will need you to signup and pay prior to the class."

She shouldn't but excuses of she argues: You need to make special seating so she can sit next to friend, more food/snacks (if you supply), parking... And the main one: You don't let non-paying into class anymore because of seating, not fair to paying students, etc. AND the Disneyland reason (love that one).
Old 04-11-2015, 08:39 AM
Power Poster

Tell her this class is full and maybe her and her friend want to sign up together for your next class. Both paying of course.

Last edited by Annaquilts; 04-11-2015 at 08:42 AM.