Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Thimbles >

Thimbles

Thimbles

Old 01-06-2016, 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by NJ Quilter View Post
I use a stainless steel 'Thimblelady' thimble. They are relatively reasonable - about $25-35. The sizing instructions on their website are VERY accurate in my opinion. I started out with one of their plastic ones to see if I liked the configuration as well as to check for size (plastic ones @ $10 I think??). Sizing was perfect and I much prefer pushing with the pad of my finger vs the tip. Most times I use a hoop but sometimes not. I have also found service from their website to be quite good.
I'm so glad someone asked the question. Thanks for your input! I just went to her (the thimblelady) website and found some great information. I've hand quilted for years with the rocking method as I was taught, but am interested in learning her method. It looks like it could help make my stitches smaller, more consistent, and less painful to the hands.
Old 01-06-2016, 12:13 PM

Thanks for all the great ideas!
Old 01-06-2016, 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by Kris P View Post
I also use the thimble pads. I usually order them from Connecting Threads. I EPP every day and use the same pad for around a month before I need to replace it. I just stick it on the outside of my plastic EPP container when I'm not using it. I have noticed that if I use hand lotions just before sewing, it doesn't stick as well. The oils in it tend to break down the adhesive.
http://www.connectingthreads.com/too...L60050120.html
Kris, I found that when the adhesive breaks down, a little piece of double sticky tape works great. We had a old roll of carpet tape and that extends the life the the dot. I have forgotten I have it on and started to wash dishes with it.
Old 01-06-2016, 03:23 PM

I have tried a lot of different thimbles and collect them as well and yes I also have large fingers I like the Raised-Edge Thimble by Colonial Needle. The last thimble I purchased was from "Tooltron" not affiliated with them just was the only place I could find my thimble in my size "size 10" I actually have thimbles from children up to size 13! So your size is out there and keep looking, don't forget to wear it on your finger for awhile to get used to the feel before you start quilting with it.
Old 01-06-2016, 06:47 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by AZ Jane View Post
Oh my, I have the exact opposite problem, finding them small enough! LOL I have used the Clover thimbles that have a metal tip that has a ridge around and a silicon body (helps to keep it on my finger). I use the small but usually have to order on line, everyone that carries them carries the medium size. http://www.clover-usa.com/en/thimble...-thimbles.html
[ATTACH=CONFIG]539524[/ATTACH]
I love these thimbles. They are one of the best tools I have in my quilting supplies. I don't even feel like I haveanything on my finger. One on top of my work and one under. Glad these were posted before I had to go take a picture of mine to post!
peace
Old 01-06-2016, 11:15 PM

I like the Poke-a-Dots sticky thimbles. http://www.jillilystudio.com/shop/No.../PokeADots.htm

Also, wanted to add that I just got a set of the plastic Thimble Lady thimbles for Christmas. I measured & came up with 5.4mm according to the instructions. A Medium size says "5.3cm" and Med-Large says "5.8cm". Here are photos of each of the thimbles on the finger I measured (middle finger). I must say that the one disappointment was that it talked about that it would cover over my knuckle, but really unless I push it way down on my finger, it does not cover the knuckle. I guess it depends whether your fingers are long like mine or short like Liuxin's.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]539585[/ATTACH] Small-Medium
[ATTACH=CONFIG]539584[/ATTACH] Medium
[ATTACH=CONFIG]539583[/ATTACH] Medium-Large
[ATTACH=CONFIG]539586[/ATTACH] Large
Attached Thumbnails img_0282.jpg   img_0283.jpg   img_0284.jpg   img_0285.jpg  
Old 01-07-2016, 04:02 AM

I have a Roxanne's brass thimble I use on my thumb, so it's pretty large. Check those out. My quilting buddy says her fingers are fat, too, and the one I use on my thumb fits her finger. I think mine is a size 9, but I don't remember what the largest size is. The dimples are nice and big/deep, and they cover the entire thimble so you can push from the pad of your finger or the side. The top is open for a fingernail to stick out, but there's a lip there so the needle can't slide off and stick you. I think the brass one cost me around $75 several years ago, but it'll never wear our or get holes in it like sterling silver can.
Old 01-07-2016, 09:56 AM

Like you I have fat fingers too and have tried many of the others, problem on some if it fits over the tip of your finger it falls off easier and the stick on ones just didn't work for me. Came across the open sided thimble and found a winner. It's adjustable, doesn't fall off and give me the right amount of room for my fat finger. Here's a link at Connecting Threads:

http://www.connectingthreads.com/too...eThimbles.html
Old 01-07-2016, 01:36 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
Buy an inexpensive metal thimble and using a hammer, tap it into an oval shape around the rim. It will fit your finger tip much better. Finger are not round.
My mom did that. Helps a lot.
Old 01-07-2016, 01:44 PM
Power Poster

Seems with all the exercise your hands get with hand quilting they would be skinny. LOL