Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Folded wreath question >
  • Folded wreath question

• Folded wreath question

Old 03-22-2016, 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by lwbuchholz
    I was hoping someone else had tried a smaller version but I am just going to have to experiment and see what I can come up with. I wish there had been measurements for the one with 9 points because I keep thinking it had to have fewer points to use smaller squares.
    Lynda
    I've got the pattern but haven't done it yet, but just from looking at the wreath and using my (limited) knowledge of math and geometry, I don't think a wreath with smaller squares will use less blocks.
    Old 03-22-2016, 11:46 AM
    Power Poster

Oh it's beautiful!!! She will love it!!
    Old 03-22-2016, 02:30 PM

It looks great. Love the Fairy Frost fabric and the decorative stitching. Looking forward to seeing your next one.
    Old 03-22-2016, 07:37 PM

Oh, so very pretty. What a wonderful winter wreath. Don't point out any goofs and she'll never know--lol.
    Old 03-23-2016, 05:58 AM

Originally Posted by klswift
    I make 3 versions - all have 12 squares. The largest is 6 1/2" finished squares and the smallest is 4 1/2" finished. The smallest have the centers almost touching. I found my favorite is the medium size one with a 5 1/2" finished square. This has a center space just the right size for inserting a candle or a small bowl full of treats. I also make them both with frames and without. This depends on the fabric choice. If I am not going to 'stuff' the petals, then I put some sort of embellishment over the hand tacked spot (found little firecracker buttons for the 4th of July one!). But, I leave it plain if I am 'stuffing' the petals (easter eggs on the easter one and I little mummies and ghosts for the halloween one). The medium one can be made for under $6 (without embellishments) so it is a great item for a bazaar sale (sell from between $20 and $23). When you get comfortable with making them, you can do one in about an hour - selecting the fabric and cutting it takes the most time!
    Have you posted pics of your wreaths? I would love to see the different sizes.
    Old 03-25-2016, 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by lwbuchholz
    I just finished a wreath for my mother and it is much bigger than I thought it would be. Has anyone made this using smaller squares or somehow made it smaller. I think I will experiment and see if it can be made smaller. I saw a picture in a Google search that only had 9 points so wondered if it was made with smaller squares. I would like to know if anyone has made a smaller one.
    Thanks
    Lynda
    The size of the blocks will determine the size of the wreath whether you use 12 blocks of 9 blocks, if you only have enough fabric for 9 blocks the angle you sew them together will have to be changed so that it lays flat when completed. Sorry not good with math to be able to give you any help, maybe there is some one out there with the necessary skills to help.
    Old 03-25-2016, 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by Kathy T.
    I think you wreath is delightful - the decorative stitching makes it look in the photo like it was made with antique handkerchiefs - love that look with the blues!
    I thought that too! Nice job!
    Old 03-25-2016, 05:54 PM
    Power Poster

looks very nice!!!
    Old 07-07-2016, 06:26 AM

I've made these and they store great on a clip hanger (like you would use for pants).