Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
portable ironing station >

portable ironing station

portable ironing station

Old 10-29-2009, 10:44 PM

Originally Posted by smitty
but wouldn't the extra ones make great Christmas gifts for some of your quilting buddies ? smitty
LOL quilting buddies! i don't even know anyone that ownes a sewing machine. Much less anyone that quilts! Sad isn't it?

Great idea for someone that does have quilting buddies though.
Old 10-29-2009, 11:40 PM

I BOUGHT A PIECE OF PLYWOOD AND HAD IT CUT TO 24 x 72. I BOUGHT FOLDING TABLE LEGS AT HARBOR FREIGHT TOOLS AND ATTACHED THEM TO THE PLYWOOD. I COVERED THE PLYWOOD WITH LEFTOVER BATTING AND MUSLIN. I HAVE PLENTY OF ROOM TO IRON A WHOLE QUILT TOP. IT COST ABOUT $40 FOR THE WHOLE THING.
MY GRANDSON MADE A BIKE JUMPING RAMP OUT OF THE LEFTOVER PLYWOOD SO HE WAS THRILLED!
Old 10-30-2009, 07:12 AM

Hey, I use the wooden tv tray too. I put a towel oon top and stretched and old bassinet fitted sheet ;it was very tight and set it beside my chair. I love it but I don't get up enough so I plan to move it. :)
Old 10-30-2009, 07:54 AM

You people are all genuises. I purchased one of the June Taylor Quilter's Cut and Press II for a workshop. So in order to get my money's worth out of it, I just put in on a little chest of drawers. It's the perfect height. But honestly, most of the time I set up my ironing board in the utility room on the far end of the house from the sewing room. This is my exercise so the old legs and feet won't swell so much. ONly thing is, I've got to pass the kitchen on my way back and forth. Those snacks are awfully inviting. :lol:
Old 10-30-2009, 09:27 AM

hubby made me a large board to cover my regular board...it is 20"x48".

We covered it with insulbrite by spray glue. then glued a layer of warm and natural over that.

I then made a removable muslin cover with a pull tie for washing (they do get stained or scorched). Worked really good.

mj
Old 10-30-2009, 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by mjsylvstr
hubby made me a large board to cover my regular board...it is 20"x48".

We covered it with insulbrite by spray glue. then glued a layer of warm and natural over that.

I then made a removable muslin cover with a pull tie for washing (they do get stained or scorched). Worked really good.

mj
How does it stay on the ironing board?
Old 10-30-2009, 03:23 PM

He placed three 1"x1" strips of wood on the underneath part of the board in a "U" shape, the width of my regular ironing board.

It slides right onto my regular board, nice and snug.

It can be taken off very easily when the board is needed for regular clothes ironing..........which is not too often........!!!!!!!!

The board makes pressing for all quilting needs much simpler..

MJ
Old 10-31-2009, 08:39 AM

My husband made me one out of a cabinet that our old tv sat on. I'm not sure what the cabinet was for originally. It worked out great. It has a cupboard with doors on the bottom and an open shelf above that. I copied the idea from an online site. I thought maybe I still had it, but unfortunately, I don't. My DH made a wood frame on top of the cabinet and put a plywood piece the size I wanted on top of that. I then covered it with pretty thick batting and then insulbrite. I love it. It is so much easier to iron fabric on it and also it is thick enough I can pin items to it to make it easier to iron them, like binding.
Old 11-07-2009, 07:51 AM

At the LQS I sit and sew at, they have one that sits at the last row of tables,so we dont have to get up to walk to the iron around the corner. It is a wooden TV tray with 3/4 inch holes drilled in it to let out the steam and moisture, insul-brite(sp?), batting, and some pretty fabric on top. The layers are staple-gunned underneath and it works great! Light-weight and portable...
Old 11-07-2009, 08:16 AM

I made 2 different sizes from wood from an old cabinet I got from a thrift store for $6. I added insul bright and 100% home decor fabric from my stash. Eventually I'll get the silver teflon and add that.

size 24"x24". I use this more when piecing.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]12823[/ATTACH]

the back
[ATTACH=CONFIG]12868[/ATTACH]

My monster one for when I iron the fabrics, size 16 1/2" x 72". I just plop it on top of the ironing board or table.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]54202[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-12823.jpe   attachment-12868.jpe   attachment-54202.jpe