Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Quilting on a budget... >
  • Quilting on a budget...

• Quilting on a budget...

Old 03-28-2018, 05:43 PM

that fabric that you've fallen out of love with--remember that if you cut it small enough it sometimes looks pretty good! Also, like a friend said--you pay for both sides of fabric--so flip it over and see if you like the back better! I found some backing fabric that was little too much until I turned it over.
    Old 03-28-2018, 06:42 PM

I am really bad at bargain shopping and typically buy whatever I want when I want it...with that said, I have never used sheets for backing. My LQS will sell me discontinued bolts or bolts that just aren't selling at $5.00/yd and, if it is versatile for backing than I will buy the bolt. I buy, end of bolt, fabric at discounts, too.

Someone should start a swap for 1/yd fabrics to help recycle everyone's stash that no longer appeals. That would be a hoot!
    Old 03-28-2018, 07:25 PM

When I was still working I spent quite a bit of money on quilting supplies and fabric. Now that I am retired I am using a lot of what I bought so I don't have to spend too much. I hadn't planned it that way but it is great.
    Old 03-28-2018, 07:54 PM

Take those stash pieces that no longer appeal to you and piece them into backings. I have one large quilt with bright fat qts on the back, and this one, shown below, that has been pieced with various neutrals:
    Old 03-28-2018, 07:58 PM

sorry, forgot the picture:

QB Doesnt want to load picutes right now.......

Anyway, the idea works well for me. Give it a try.....
    Old 03-28-2018, 09:07 PM

I am like Conmitch ....When I was a manager of a quilt store I built up my stash while I was working...now I am trying to use it up. I will use my big pieces as backings if I don't have enough I will piece it with left over fabric from the top .I now mostly spend for thread, needles and cutter blades and other needed items.
    Old 03-28-2018, 11:28 PM

I use duvet covers from Ikea for quilt backings. I can usually get a set with duvet co really and pillowcases for £15. That will make two backings and a baby quilt backing. I often buy men's cotton shirts from charity shop.
    Old 03-28-2018, 11:37 PM

Originally Posted by quiltingshorttimer
    Also, like a friend said--you pay for both sides of fabric--so flip it over and see if you like the back better! I found some backing fabric that was little too much until I turned it over.
    I too will often use the wrong side of fabric. Particularly in scrap quilts when I need lighter colours, as when I began quilting I realise that I tended to buy fabric that read as medium.
    Old 03-29-2018, 02:02 AM

Make quilts that take a long time to make and take your time making them. This is my hobby and I do it for the pleasure of the making of the quilt. While I admire Eleanor Burns quilt in a day techniques, I have no reason to finish a quilt in a day and that sure would be expensive.
    Old 03-29-2018, 03:00 AM

I piece my backings, sometimes using fabric I no longer like. I also use wider unbleached muslin for backings but make sure to get a good quality one. They really show off one's quilting. I don't have a long armer do all my quilting, just the quilts that I feel merit it. Usually I use my walking foot to quilt as free motion is too stressful for me. I make good use of the "free" table at my local guild meeting. You are right, though, quilting is expensive. When I look at what I've spent each month, it's mostly on quilting-related stuff now that I'm retired. No matter - it keeps me sane!