Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilting on a budget... >

Quilting on a budget...

Quilting on a budget...

Old 03-29-2018, 06:29 AM

Hello ladies. I have found that making rag quilts with your stash are colorful and fun to make. Some of the fabrics I also no longer like. But, once you put the squares together and wash and dry the quilt, it's a different fun look. Look at the different ways to make a rag quilt and see what you think. Enjoy, and have fun!!!!!
Old 03-29-2018, 06:36 AM

if your middle or high schools offer home ec classes you can ask the teacher for scraps, they are so glad to get rid of them and kids being kids usually cut a square right in the middle of a yard of fabric and discard the rest. I have accumulated quite a variety of novelty prints, not good for backing but great for baby quilts.
Old 03-29-2018, 06:42 AM

I have been checking out my local thrift shop for fabrics and flat sheets. You never know what you might find. I try to keep stock in neutrals for background fabrics so I'm rarely without. Also those fabrics I feel I'll never use I donate to my local thrift shop too. I keep tabs on our local fabric shops for when they have sales plus I found Marshall's.com has nice fabrics at a reasonable price. Picked up some backing and am very impressed with the quality. My new "go to" online store.
Old 03-29-2018, 06:53 AM

When I moved and had to move my workroom, my storage and the 900 sq. ft. space at my store, I vowed to always 'shop my stash' first. You can use the fabric that no longer has much appeal in different ways. I found a corn on the cob fabric that I can not understand why I would ever have bought it! But, it had a vibrant dark blue and a bright green bit to it. I paired it with those colors and made a great block that I used to make a very cute table runner for picnics. The corn became part of the pattern rather than a focal point. The other problem is large backing pieces. I piece my backs. Whether it is just 4 rectangles put together or a couple of extra front blocks or maybe just a few diagonal stripes inserted, the all make smaller pieces go a long way and can quickly use up a stash. I also think it gives the back a bit of surprise! I also make lots of tote bags and messenger bags of assorted sizes and use them as gift bags instead of wrapping boxes in disposable and expensive wrapping paper (and, a bonus, it becomes a part of the gift). You can use your truly odd fabric as linings - it always works!!
Old 03-29-2018, 07:02 AM

What's the smallest scrap that you use? Is anyone making postage stamp quilts with 1 1/2" squares? It sounds like it'd be a way to continue quilting on a budget.
Old 03-29-2018, 07:16 AM

If you google flat sheets you will see many options of where to buy these. You can also use a fitted sheet if you cut off the elastic edging and trim square. So if you can find an inexpensive sheet set you have enough for two backings and can use the pillowcases as part of a pieced backing too. I have a used sheet set in which the fitted sheet shrank enough to make it difficult to make the bed so have set it aside to use as backings.
You can use mattress pads and old blankets as filling in quilts, table runners etc.. I've heard of people using old bath towels as filling in potholders, etc. too.

Only buy fabric and supplies when on sale or you have a good coupon. There are ways to stretch your resources.

Last edited by selm; 03-29-2018 at 07:19 AM.
Old 03-29-2018, 08:07 AM

I believe recycling is the solution to two problems 1) protecting our children and grandchildren's future ecosystem 2) providing an inexpensive alternative for quilting. I believe in rescuing things. I have a rescued dog that has brought be unspeakable joy. I have a wonderful rescued stash of sheets and other cotton fabrics to use for quilting. To me, what I rescue means much more to me than the latest line from some designer. I find that my work actually reflects more creativity using the rescued items and without the guilt of gobbling up all the goodies I can grab in this life. For anyone thinking of trying to recycle sheets, I advise reading labels. Sheets are labeled clearly with fiber content. 100% cotton and Egyptian cotton are real treasures. I skip percale that does not clearly list the fiber content and other heavy closely woven fabrics if they are not labeled. Someone mentioned bedskirts in this thread. I agree, many times I find beautiful cotton prints in bedskirts. I use the part that goes under the mattress to set up practice squares for FMQ and harvest the prints for my stash. Many of mine came to me unused and I only paid $1 each. For anyone practicing FMQ, I encourage you to try using recycled fabrics to make practice squares. Perhaps you will enjoy using recycled goods and learn something about recycling as you learn new techniques.
Old 03-29-2018, 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by Irishrose2 View Post
What's the smallest scrap that you use? Is anyone making postage stamp quilts with 1 1/2" squares? It sounds like it'd be a way to continue quilting on a budget.
As a newbie, while cutting my latest project I kept anything that was a minimum of 2.5" and squared it up into a rectangle. I debated about 1.5", but I wasn't sure if those were designed to be machine quilted. Do you have any experience with these, can they be machine quilted?

I appreciate all of these tips! So far, with the exception of some 1/2 off goodwill scrubs (perfect cotton fabric!) and some cheap amazon fabric (with the intentions of using these to practice FMQ), I've tried to only purchase what I need (plus extra for mistakes). I've also started trying to precut scraps so that when I'm ready for a project, but lack the money to invest, I can use some scrappy quilts as inspiration.

Last edited by sef0181; 03-29-2018 at 08:11 AM.
Old 03-29-2018, 08:40 AM

The Target brand has some nice sheets that are sold individually...I've used them a few times for backing. Also, I use a Singer machine I got for free from a friend of mine (he was clearing out his late aunt's house)...like any hobby, I think you can put as much (or as little) money into as you want...
Old 03-29-2018, 08:53 AM

You could always arrange a "stash exchange" among your quilting friends. You might have fabric in your stash that appeals to someone else and vice versa.