Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Martelli rotary cutter questions >

Martelli rotary cutter questions

Martelli rotary cutter questions

Old 04-05-2018, 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by Rhonda Lee View Post
I've been looking at the Martelli website and was impressed with what they had to offer. Since I've been having trouble with my wrist I need a different type of rotary cutter. Then there is their mat and rulers and lots of other things. Gives me a lot of food for thought. I am also retired and look at the expense involved. Hopefully the products are worth the investment. Still a bit on the fence. Hope all works out for you Prisim.
It's probably been mentioned but be sure to sign up for their email list. They have 50% off sales several times a year.
Old 04-05-2018, 10:55 AM
Power Poster

Well, I ended up getting both the 45mm and 60mm with a few replacement blades from Amazon. The prices there are better than on the website, especially when you have Prime and don't have to pay shipping. I am currently in the middle of piecing a quilt so will probably never get to some serious trying-out of the Martelli cutters for awhile. I'm pretty sure that, if I can get used to them, they will be easier on my hand/wrist/thumb.
Old 04-05-2018, 12:59 PM

Wow, Prism99, I just did the same thing last night. I was trying to order from Joann's online but having a problem with the lower shipping coupon, so I decided to check Amazon. We are prime too, and their prices were amazing! I got both the 45mm and 60mm for $32.72 plus I had a $10 gift card credit I didn't even know I had. LOL.. so ended up paying $22.72 total. I can't wait to get them and try them out.
Old 04-05-2018, 02:08 PM
Administrator

i know everybody says you can't, but i think you actually can use some other brands of blades in the martelli cutter.
you have to compare the shape of the hole in the center because they are not all the same.
Old 04-05-2018, 10:05 PM

I just got mine today! Went over to my cutting table to find something to cut. It feels weird when I open it- it seems like it cuts the matt, but I suppose I'll get used to it.
Old 04-06-2018, 06:25 AM

There is a learning curve with the Martelli cutter. It really helped me to watch the youtube video that explained the way to hold it properly. Stick with it if it feels awkward at the outset, because you'll get the hang of it, and it's a much less stressful way to cut.

The Martelli blade has a circle in the center, rather than a notched circle like the Olfa and other blades. You can use other blades with the cutter, but the notches will eventually damage the bolt, and you'll have to replace it.