Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
My first panto quilt..not as easy as it seems! >

My first panto quilt..not as easy as it seems!

My first panto quilt..not as easy as it seems!

Old 08-14-2018, 04:15 AM
Power Poster

Wonderful quilt! I am also 'panto challenged'. Just can't get the hang of following with the laser & working from the back.
Old 08-14-2018, 04:38 AM

Handiquilter has HQ Live once a month and they're invaluable for the 45 minutes to an hour instruction they give on all kind of quilting machines, mostly long arm, but some sit down as well. Last March they had one specifically on pantographs and groovy boards as well. Every month gives great stuff. Go to:

https://handiquilter.me/hq-live/
Power Poster

Thanks for the kind words and encouragement. DianneK what a great suggestion, thanks.
Power Poster

I don't know anything about LA's but your quilt looks great!
Old 08-14-2018, 04:45 AM

I never think that would be easy! You did a beautiful job.
Old 08-14-2018, 05:11 AM

nice job...luv the colors of your fabric!!!
Old 08-14-2018, 05:43 AM
Power Poster

This was a very easy quilt to make...I sorted my 1 1/2" strips into brights with a white tone to them, then sewed 1 1/2" strips in a long strip to equal +72"...made 8 of them. Next folded a 2 yard length of white fabric in half selvage to selvage (the short way). Then made 9 cuts parallel to the selvage in varying widths starting at 2 1/2". Then sewed the pieced strips to the white to create the quilt. All fabric was from my stash, as was the backing pieces. Will use a bright yellow that's in the pieced backing for the binding.

Will check out the HandiQuilter site...thanks JoBelmont...
Old 08-14-2018, 06:06 AM

Don't be so hard on yourself! For a first panto, you did an great job. That was not an easy one to choose for a first time, as you probably realize now. I think the easiest are pantos of flowers, leaves, etc., things that don't have to be perfect. Every flower is different, no one will be able to tell if you veered off the line. Avoid geometric patterns where a design repeats over and over again and any slight differences will be obvious.
Now, to help you round out your circles, you need to push the machine a bit harder---get a little more speed. The machine sits on two bases: one moves vertically, the other moves horizontally. So the machine moves easiest in those directions. If you aren't going fast enough or have too light a grip on the machine, you won't overcome the machine's tendency to go straight horizontal or straight vertical on the curves. Diagonals, circles are the hardest things to execute well.
One thing I do with every panto, whether I've done it before or not, is practice it with the machine off and just the laser light on. Sometimes I feel I am executing the design well after a couple of passes, sometimes I practice all day or two days before I stitch it. Another thing I sometimes do when I am approaching an area I have a hard time with (like where circles or curves want to square off instead of being round) is I put a teensy bit of body weight into the movement at that one part. My feet stay still but I swing my body into the movement.
One of the hardest things I had to learn was how to take a step while quilting without interrupting the smooth lines. I learned to take my steps when I was quilting in the direction I wanted to move.
Good luck, keep practicing, you're off to a great start! And have fun!
Old 08-14-2018, 06:33 AM

That's such a pretty quilt & I think you did fantastic on the quilting. I only quilt on my domestic machine so I know nothing about pantos or long arms, etc. I would think it would be sort of like when we first learned to color & tried so hard to stay within the lines. Following lines was not easy for me but I eventually conquered it. I really think the swirls compliment the quilt beautifully.
Old 08-14-2018, 06:36 AM

Beautiful work, bet it is difficult