Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Guys help! >

Guys help!

Guys help!

Old 01-18-2019, 03:59 AM

Kinda' sad isn't it? There are not many people who understand quality anymore and that, when you purchase most things retail, you get what you pay for. Poor quality and no one seems to care because you get rid of it at the end of the season and get something new next year. But, quality is part and parcel of quilting. I would rather give something away than to sell it for a pittance.
Old 01-18-2019, 04:47 AM

I also would rather give my quilts to someone who would appreciate it versus selling cheap.
Old 01-18-2019, 04:51 AM

to me it is like giving it to her.... this is very sad ... and then the door is open for similar requests from "friends"

I would either sell it for a lot more or just give it... but 20$ for me is an insult in my book.
Old 01-18-2019, 05:01 AM

I am in the camp where I'd donate it to charity rather than sell for $20.
Old 01-18-2019, 05:06 AM

$20.00? Not a chance. The materials cost more than that and then you put in your time. Explain this to the prospective buyer and propose a reasonable amount. Not accepted? Then thank the buyer for the complement and move on.

I just saw the comments about donating the quilt. I agree. If you cannot gain a reasonable cost, donate the quilt. Someone will appreciate it more than $20 worth.
Old 01-18-2019, 05:41 AM

I agree with JJBlaine. Tell her you will not sell this because it was a gift, but you would be happy to make her one if she will purchase the supplies. Tell her how much fabric to buy, how much and what kind of thread, how much batting and what kid, plus the backing. That might change her mind about wanting one.
Old 01-18-2019, 07:37 AM

No way would I sell it to her for that price. You didn't say what size the quilt is but even lap size I wouldn't sell one for less than $150.
Old 01-18-2019, 07:40 AM

My DIL whom I love dearly asked me if it was cheaper to make a quilt than buy one in the store. I gave her a fast lesson in quilting costs. I had just gifted them with a “Tree of. Life” quilt made from Mayeood flannels. Cost of fabric, batting and custom LAQ was close to $700.00 but to mention hours of labor. I hope she has better appreciation but this is a woman that cannot sew a stitch and doesn’t own an iron. Lol
Old 01-18-2019, 08:32 AM

You can politely tell her that you could sell it for the cost of materials only, but not for less. Then figure fabrics - easy way is full size of top = how many yards = $6 per yard (I am thinking used a 40% coupon) double this because you have a top and backing. Add in cost of the batting. Personally, I would then add time and work, but, if you are trying to be polite, this would be an absolute base cost. Chances are she will not want to pay it anyway! Someone who would offer $20 for a handmade quilt has no idea of the work you did.
Old 01-18-2019, 09:02 AM

Take her with you to a LQS and price the materials needed to make a quilt. Be sure to include thread, needles, etc. Explain to her that this dollar amount does not include your labor and time. The fabric was a gift to you and the quilt is pretty. I'd want to keep the quilt you have made to always remember the friend who gave me the fabric.