Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilt Backs, I'm Curious.  How Do You Decide on Fabric and Make Yours? >

Quilt Backs, I'm Curious. How Do You Decide on Fabric and Make Yours?

Quilt Backs, I'm Curious. How Do You Decide on Fabric and Make Yours?

Old 03-22-2019, 04:53 PM

I use sheets or wide muslin for my backings, since 99% of my quilts are donated.
Old 03-22-2019, 04:54 PM
Power Poster

Most of the time I purchase wide backing fabrics, haven’t pieced a backing in years. Generally when I have a top done, or am close I check to see what I have, and I start browsing fabric.com they have a very large selection of wide backing fabrics. If I need it as soon as I finish the top I start looking early, if there is no rush on the quilt I might wait longer to decide on a backing
Old 03-22-2019, 05:44 PM

I make almost exclusively queen sized quilts. I think the backing is very important as it generally shows the quilting better than the front. Since I have discovered Quilted Twins, I buy 4 yards at a time of 108 inch backing. They have quite a selection and its relatively cheap. Their service is pronto and I've only run into one problem. You can't buy a partial yard, it has to be 3 or 4, not 3 1/4. So I thought I was smarter than I am and decided to trim off some before I sent it to the L.A. I cut in the wrong place and had two pieces too short. Now that is going into a different project. I have a great deal....about 3/4 yard of 108 fabric left over. I'm making great use out of this as I tend to buy neutrals for backs, not solids, but a little blend into the woodwork print that makes no statement.
Old 03-22-2019, 07:20 PM

For baby quilts I have been purchasing a coordinating panel and usually trimming down to max 24”x24” and stitching it on top of a coordinating solid backing as I don’t like the way it looks pieced. For larger quilts.....is it just me or does anyone else cringe at the idea of spending big bucks on a backing? When I can get something that looks versatile (both wide back and standard) for a super price...I buy it! So far have had pretty good luck matching up with my projects.
Old 03-22-2019, 07:46 PM

I usually don't like to piece the backs of my quilts. I always shop my stash first to see if there is anything I can use. But if not I just trot the top the LQS and see what I can find. If I don't find anything there I like, it's online next.
Old 03-22-2019, 08:35 PM

I like my backs in the same color family as the front with a strip of pieced front fabrics in it. I check my stash, but often have to purchase fabric. I definitely go for the sale stuff. I am a pretty good judge of fabric and can find an acceptable weight at JoAnn's or Hobby Lobby. One red print did not wash up well - I misjudged the amount of sizing, but starching made it usable. The quilt has a lot of quilting, so the back will be fine. I have made two double sided quilts, but prefer not to.
Old 03-22-2019, 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by Cattitude View Post
For baby quilts I have been purchasing a coordinating panel and usually trimming down to max 24”x24” and stitching it on top of a coordinating solid backing as I don’t like the way it looks pieced. For larger quilts.....is it just me or does anyone else cringe at the idea of spending big bucks on a backing? When I can get something that looks versatile (both wide back and standard) for a super price...I buy it! So far have had pretty good luck matching up with my projects.
I cringe too! I’ve been stashing up on what I would use for backing, I.e. neutral flannels, or wide backs when on sale. When it comes to using my stash,if it is not a gift, I can find something appropriate, but not necessarily matchy matchy. If it’s for a gift, I’ll check my stash first, then usually end up buying something that is coordinated to the top. I’ve never purchased minky for a back. It seems really expensive for my budget.
Old 03-22-2019, 09:10 PM

I almost always use wide back as the only time I've had difficulties with puckers on a quilt back is when it's been pieced with grain going in many different directions. I buy a bolt of Moda off white wide back, but also will purchase other backings that may allow more "blend" with the thread color I'm using. for instance, I have a mostly purples and browns Kaffe Fassett fabrics quilt that I'm using a purple paisley WB on so that my purple thread isn't as visible, only the quilting texture.
Old 03-23-2019, 03:49 AM

I usually wait until my quilt top is almost finished and then start looking for backs. I dislike solid colors for backs and will usually choose something in the same color family as the top...but a print to give the quilt an extra surprise "punch". Have been known to piece with a leftover piece from the top in the backing for Project Linus quilts.
Old 03-23-2019, 04:12 AM

Like FelineFanatic, for me it depends on the quilt and it’s use. I normally don’t buy backing until the top is almost done and I have a better idea of the finished look.