Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
disappointed in quilting >

disappointed in quilting

disappointed in quilting

Old 12-14-2009, 04:38 PM

Thanks for the pics. I think the overall effect of the quilt is good. Obviously you put so much work into the design that you wish it were exactly as you imagined it, but I'm thinking your kids will love it. They will never notice it if it is not mentioned.
My grandmother had a wonderful expression which I think of often, which is "it will never be noticed on a galloping horse".
Our lives move so quickly there is no time to focus on these tiny details. Your family will feel the love you put into it.
Old 12-14-2009, 05:01 PM

I think I know this one . . . where you see the three lines of stitches on top of each other (I think it is called 'traveling')- that is where she had to go back over the previous line in order to move to the next section to quilt, does that make sense? I actually learned this here: http://www.daystyledesigns.com/freem...stentlines.htm
I have been trying to learn FMQ and this seems to be the only way to move to a new section without cutting, knotting and burying, and restarting at the next section.

btw, I think it is a lovely quilt, your applique is beautiful.
Old 12-14-2009, 05:12 PM

Beautiful quilt, awesome design!!!!!!!!

IMHO I think it is nicely quilted, kinda reminds me of clouds. I agree with Maribeth that what you are seeing is the traveling part of the LAQing and being a hand quilter it looks odd to you. I truly feel that your loved ones will treasure this expression of your love. I hope you can feel at peace with it.
Old 12-14-2009, 05:13 PM

I am pretty sure my kids will be fine with it, in fact I don't think they would have appreciated the huge time investment had I hand quilted it. Some of you suggested going back to the quilter to see if it could be changed some. Is that even possible?
Old 12-14-2009, 05:18 PM

glad you posted pix of your quilt! i think it is very lovely and think that your son and his new wife will think so too!! anyone who goes through so much thought and time on a gift is sure to be appreciated. i just know that they will love it--don't tell them that you don't like how it got quilted and then they won't be jaded. Good Job on the quilt by the way!!
Old 12-14-2009, 05:26 PM

I think your quilt is very pretty. I took a quilt one time to a quilter and she ruined it for me. I had made it for my grandaughter and it was the grandmothers fan block and had a lot of purple in it because she likes purple and I wanted it quilted with hearts and when I went and picked the quilt up, I was just sick. It looked so awful and I never did give it to my grandaughter and I have another started for her. She will get it for Christmas next year as will the rest of my family get one for Christmas. I will have all this year to work on them.
I love the pattern for your quilt.
P.J.
Old 12-14-2009, 05:31 PM
Power Poster

I think it looks beautiful, I think your kids will love it!!! :D:D:D
If you stand back a few feet away is it noticeable? Most machine quilting will have doubling back quilting lines on it.
Are those areas long enough that you could snip the thread, knot and bury it, if it really bothers you that much?
Old 12-14-2009, 06:09 PM

That is one truly lovely quilt. I love your design and the colors you picked, as well. Did you applique the flowers in the inner square?
I'm with the others on this, your son and dil will love it.
lots2do (but I ain't doing it now)
Old 12-14-2009, 06:36 PM

I think it looks really nice.
Old 12-14-2009, 06:36 PM

Your quilt is beautiful! I hand quilt and I would venture to say you are disappointed because machine quilting never looks like hand quilting. It's just a preference, but this is still a quality quilt and you must be proud of your hard work. The quilted pattern looks like the "Baptist Fan" design.