Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Introduce Yourself
Hi from California >

Hi from California

Hi from California

Old 02-02-2010, 02:09 PM

I wish I was in the Sierras too, I was born and raised in a little town called Iowa Hill, Lived around Placerville and Auburn for many years, I can hear the pines already, hm, I'm homesick
Old 02-02-2010, 07:15 PM

We have a small cabin on Nat. Forest Land about 40 miles above Sonora on 108. It is heaven to be there, sunshine, rain, or snow and our aussies go crazy up there in the wide open spaces. Have friends and family in Auburn, Colfax, Pollock Pines, Citrus Heights and Grass Valley. Are hoping to move up there next year and get out of San Jose.
Old 02-02-2010, 07:56 PM

We spent the better part of 06 in Sonora on a job. I managed to travel back and forth on HWY 49 about every other weekend. I am settled in now. We are just out of Oakhurst, in North Fork. Love it here, but there sure is a lot of work to do getting settled.
Old 02-02-2010, 08:13 PM

49 is an interesting ride from Sacramento to Sonora. Twisty and turny but lovely country and so much more enjoyable than 99. We've been going to the Sierra's for 46 years now. I still haven't made it to the LQS in Sonora.
Old 02-02-2010, 08:29 PM

My youngest son was born in Placerville 57 years ago, I lived in FreshPond, a sawmill place , I lived in Grass Valley as a youngster, I have a neice in Forest Hill, A sister in Citrus heights, a sister and a cousin in Orangevale , A quilting friend in Sonora, I think she runs a quilting shop there, I love those hills but can't afford the property there, I live in a very nice home with a pool, A nice house here can cost as little as $150,000 .00, besides I hate the fog and the cold , guess that is why I live in the desert, enjoy gardening , and quilting :-P
Old 02-02-2010, 11:27 PM

There are two really nice QS's in Sonora, one is a little hard to find, but worth the effort. It is old, and crowded with fabric, but really fun. There is also one in Columbia that is in an old park. It is an old storefront like a General Store. Not a lot of newer stuff, but loads and loads of Replicas. The staff is all in period costume and much fun
Old 02-02-2010, 11:46 PM

I haven't been to Columbia in years. I remember quilts there but don't remember if they were in a quilt shop. There is a new quilt shop (less than 5 yrs) in Oakdale. It is quite small. Have only been there once. My guys are more interested in riding quads and snomobiles than going to quilt shops. Since I no longer drive I am at there mercy when it comes to shoppin. My grandson Christopher, who just left for Marine bootcamp 2 weeks ago, lived in Placerville a couple of years ago.
Old 02-03-2010, 08:51 AM

I have a friend in Oakdale, and she has been in the new QS there and says it is really a great one. Have to make a run to Manteca next week, so I am hoping to hit that one while we are down there. DH has suddenly realized that QS's are going to be part of our everyday lives and is pretty patient about waiting for me while I shop. http://www.quiltersquarter.com in Hanford is in a new building, too. I was there last week and sure had a nice time. Beautiful building and they have their fabric set up so it is a real adventure to wander around.. Wish you were close enough to go with us.
Old 02-03-2010, 03:02 PM

If you are visiting LadyBug quilts in Manteca you may want to call first. According to the web site they are closing. No date was given. Cabin Quilts in Oakdale is on the right as you enter town. There is also a storage place there so it is a bit confusing.
Old 02-03-2010, 03:41 PM

Hello, and welcome from Missouri!