Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilt Fabric Question >

Quilt Fabric Question

Quilt Fabric Question

Old 02-27-2010, 06:00 PM

do you want it to go over the pillows? with a tuck? what size drop? i think you should attack your bed with a tape measure before you go any further.

if you want the kitties to be centered on the bed and the pillow part to be solid, then all it needs is border color on the top - a lot of it, to cover the entire pillow with tuck underneath and behind (against the headboard). also, again f you want the kitties on top, all you need is borders on the sides. if you enlarge the entire quilt, the cats will be hanging over the edge. was that the look you wanted?

the queen bed is 80" long with approximately 22" covered with pillow. so deduct that amount. now you have 56" to work with if you want the entire picture to lay flat on the center of the bed. that's the size of the pattern as it is, right? the bed is 60" wide. the quilt pattern is 56. again, a perfect fit. are you sure you want to change it?

you may want to border the central design in 9-patches in the same or coordinating colors, as is found in the pattern. or try something that you find more appealing. maybe applique little cats around the border.
Old 02-27-2010, 06:13 PM

if you add 1(9sq)in l and w you well hve an 78.5 in sq. then add your borders. I would get 50% more fabric
Old 02-27-2010, 10:08 PM

Looking at the pattern of this quilt, it appears to be a block of 3x3 squares finished size). Using that as a starting point, I figured that using 9 inch blocks with 8 across and 9 down you could still have the same look but just one extra block high. With that , I was able to calculate that you will need 2 3/4 yds of various colors for the inside blocks, 2 5/8 yds of the blue and about 2 3/8 yds of black for boarder.
The outside boarder is also done in various colors the same as the inside blocks but you will want to do them a bit smaller. I figured around 6" maybe and they would take about 2 1/4 yds.
The finished size would be about 97" x 88"
Hope this helps
Old 02-27-2010, 11:38 PM

Originally Posted by sunkistmi
Just printed it off. Couldn't use the 'printer friendly' version, said it was not found, so just printed it off with all the extra advertisements (which I hate!). I plan on adding borders to it also since I don't want a square. Good luck. Someone has got to be a whole lot better at math than I am.
Wendy B
When I run into a printing problem like this I open a new email to send to myself and then copy the whole page or try to copy just the parts I want on to the email. Then I delete the parts I don't want. I can get rid of the ads and other things I don't need. After sending it to myself I can print it out.
Old 02-28-2010, 08:21 PM

you could try to add 2 more rows of 9 patch blocks on the sides and 2 rows on the bottom then put 2 more cats on the 4 extra stairs then inlarge borders to fit, thats what I would do