Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Ever been completely bamboozled by a pattern? >

Ever been completely bamboozled by a pattern?

Ever been completely bamboozled by a pattern?

Old 05-30-2010, 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by bearisgray

Have you watched that video yet?
Yes, it wasn't a "video" however. It was a tutorial with slide pictures. Is that the one you meant to post?

I don't think that method will work for this pattern because the suns aren't perfect circles. They are more like ovals if you were to put four of them together. The blocks are rectangular, and so if you can imagine that the sun is stretched out for the rectangular shape, that's what I'm working with. And because they are paper-pieced, they are sort of floppy to work with (the rays, I mean).

I'm thinking the applique might work, but I'm also going to try writing to the designer.
Old 05-30-2010, 09:13 AM
Power Poster

Valori Wells is Jean Wells daughter. Jean Wells started the Sister's Quilt Show and owns The Stitching Post. Valori Wells designs fabric and quilt patterns. Here is her blog:

http://valoriwells.typepad.com/

Here is her email. [email protected]
Old 05-30-2010, 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by Pollyv9
My 1st Texas Star would not lie flat. I took the center apart, cut out a circle and appliqued a small solid star on top. It turned out really good. I would post a pic but I gave the quilt away and had forgotten to take a picture of it.
That is another really good idea. I could applique a perfect circle over the parts that are puckered, and perhaps embroider some "rays" using a bright rayon thread. That might be really pretty and it would cover the parts I'm not happy with.

Also, I wasn't as good at the paper-piecing on the first one. I had to piece some of the rays where they didn't cover as far as they were supposed to. I didn't notice until I had already done a couple more, and if you've ever done paper piecing, you know how hard it is to take out those tiny little stitches. So I just took some extra fabric and pieced them together. Not a great solution, but I didn't think anyone but me would be able to see it, especially after it's quilted. But this method would work to cover up those areas as well. Hmmmm. This is giving me hope that all my work (and my expensive fabric!) won't be for naught.
Old 05-30-2010, 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo

Here is her email. [email protected]
Thanks. Just emailed her. I'll see what she has to say.
Old 05-30-2010, 09:41 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by bstanbro
Originally Posted by bearisgray

Have you watched that video yet?
Yes, it wasn't a "video" however. It was a tutorial with slide pictures. Is that the one you meant to post?

I don't think that method will work for this pattern because the suns aren't perfect circles. They are more like ovals if you were to put four of them together. The blocks are rectangular, and so if you can imagine that the sun is stretched out for the rectangular shape, that's what I'm working with. And because they are paper-pieced, they are sort of floppy to work with (the rays, I mean).

I'm thinking the applique might work, but I'm also going to try writing to the designer.
It was a "slide type" show - not a video.

I think I would go with the applique. That's what the old-timers did with their dresden plate centers.
Old 05-30-2010, 02:05 PM

I think I know what to do!! It came to me while my husband and I were out planting our vegetables.

The main fabric--the same fabric as in the border--is a beautiful Autumn leaf pattern. I can just fussy cut some of those leaves and applique over the parts I'm not happy with--like falling leaves of Autumn. I think that will be really pretty. If I do it right, I might like it better that way. Time will tell. I still have three of the sun blocks to go, but I'll post pictures before summer is out, I'm sure. Stay tuned. And thank you all for your excellent suggestions.
Old 05-30-2010, 02:12 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by bstanbro
I think I know what to do!! It came to me while my husband and I were out planting our vegetables.

The main fabric--the same fabric as in the border--is a beautiful Autumn leaf pattern. I can just fussy cut some of those leaves and applique over the parts I'm not happy with--like falling leaves of Autumn. I think that will be really pretty. If I do it right, I might like it better that way. Time will tell. I still have three of the sun blocks to go, but I'll post pictures before summer is out, I'm sure. Stay tuned. And thank you all for your excellent suggestions.
Sounds like a great idea!
Old 05-31-2010, 09:01 AM

OH YES! I finally gave up on a quilt that I was TRYING to make for my nephew. It was a pieced frog quilt. I finally made one that was appliqued. Sooooo much easier!
Old 05-31-2010, 09:09 AM

I love that pattern. I hope you figure out how to solve your dilemma and not throw it in a corner. Sometimes if I don't like something as I get in further or it has some bad memories, I pass it along to someone else. I read all the suggestions and your latest idea on how to fix it. Can't wait to see the finished project. Batiks are so unforgiving too!
Old 05-31-2010, 09:33 AM

How do you preshrink freezer paper??