Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
What happened to hairnets or ponytails? >

What happened to hairnets or ponytails?

What happened to hairnets or ponytails?

Old 07-13-2010, 04:41 AM

Don't forget about the people who handle food bare handed, then take the customer's money, then go directly back and handle more food. Cash is incredibly dangerous and disgusting.

I once watched a "to-go" order being assembled and saw the girl eat a couple french fries from the order before she added the sandwich and covered the box. :shock: I asked to speak with the manager immediately...it was my order!!
Old 07-13-2010, 06:25 AM

When I was a bartender/server (in Mn) and the rule was that shoulder length and longer had to be put back, and above the shoulder kept away from your face. I get disgusted if I find my own hair in food, not to mention elsewhere. I am not paying money to find hair (or otherwise) in my food. I'm with you Andii!
Old 07-13-2010, 07:08 AM

My roommate is a cook at a Motorcycle repair shop/restaurant and gift shop. He's a big guy with long hair.. he ALWAYS wears his hair in a ponytail and wears a ball cap which covers everything in the front and sides. I have extremely long hair and it drives me NUTS to have my hair loose when I'm in the kitchen. I'm an operating room nurse and wear hats and gloves at work all the time and wash my hands or use the hand gel everytime I touch anything. Guess it just carries over to home. We have gel everywhere and I make sure Todd has containers of it to take to work with him.
Old 07-13-2010, 07:10 AM
Power Poster

Location: Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!

I'm totally grossed out now.!!!!!!!
Old 07-13-2010, 01:46 PM

Just had to share this with you guys. I went out today to check out the fat quarters at Michaels that someone had mentioned-I didn't know Michaels had any fabric. I shouldn't have gone out because it was just too hot but there I was roaming around at high noon when I got hit with a sugar low. I started feeling really bad and decided to pick up lunch so I could eat quickly when I got home. The only place in that plaza was Chili's so I went into the blessed air-conditioned haven and placed my order.

At home I poured a Pepsi to hopefully head off the shakes and tucked into my turkey sandwich and wonderfully crispy french fries. About halfway through my sandwich I picked it up and there nestled in the foam container was a black hair! Ruined the rest of the meal.

I have always had a dog or cat so I have eaten my fair share of hair, believe me, but there's just something about a stranger's hair in a place it shouldn't be!

Anyway, the good part of the story is I picked up two beautiful fat quarters in shades of yellow and blue for something I am working on for 79 cents each so I guess it was worth it...I don't know.
Old 07-13-2010, 01:51 PM

When I was a restaurant manager, employees were required by the company to pull back and pin their hair, also they had to wear hairnets (my preference) or a hat. One guy thought he would get around that rule by shaving his head, guess what, he still had to wear a net! lol It seemed that new employees would try to rebel a couple times, but after getting reprimanded, and their hours cut, most came around. Otherwise, they were let go.
Now, I work in a factory making windshield wipers. Our plant manager believes (incorrectly) that a hair can short out the systems, so here I am wearing a hairnet again! If those employees I reprimanded knew, they'd be laughing their heads off!!
Old 07-13-2010, 02:09 PM

Hair in food is one of the most absolutely disgusting things ever... if I find one - mine or others - I'm done eating...
Old 07-13-2010, 02:18 PM

When I worked in a pizza factory (I was a baller---I put the meat balls on your frozen pizzas) We had to wear lab coats and hair nets. The man the ground up the meat had a beard and he had to wear a hair net on it too. They weren't actually nets but more like surgical caps with long strings to tie to keep them in place. I won't go into what went on there but it was years and years before I could eat a frozen pizza again and still don't care much for it.
Old 07-13-2010, 03:26 PM

What about really hairy men handling food?
One of the waiters where I was a waitress looked like he had fur on his arms and back of his hands.....
Old 07-13-2010, 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by amandasgramma
As a matter of fact..........just tonight DH and I went to Costco to get some things we needed (wanted). They have those $1.50 hot dogs with free 20 oz. drink......so naturally he took me out to dinner there!!! I was standing in line and mentioned that they were wearing hats and nets on their heads!!!! I haven't seen that in a LONG time!
Funny you should mention the hairnets at Costco, as that is EXACTLY what/where I was thinking when I read this thread.