Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Have you been arrested................ by the quilt police? >

Have you been arrested................ by the quilt police?

Have you been arrested................ by the quilt police?

Old 07-19-2010, 10:29 PM

1. No names / labels / identifying information
2. Hanging with nails (even small ones!)
3. Not sewing far enough either side of the lines when paper piecing (although apparently the stitch length was fine...)
4. The usual cut off and unmatched points
5. Too much bulkiness in my binding join / binding not mitered properly at corners

Those are the only ones I can remember right now... I'm sure that I'm guilty of more!
Old 07-19-2010, 10:32 PM

Oh I have so many evils, the quilt police would lock me up and throw away the key! Just a few that I will share: 1) I never change my stitch length when paper piecing, just whatever the machines default setting is when turned on. 2) I never measure borders, just take a big ol long piece and sew to the end then square off and sew the next one. 3) I never pre-wash fabric (except for flannel) 4) when I'm done quilting I don't measure or use a ruler to square off before putting on the binding, I just cut close to the edge of the quilt top as straight as I can with my scissors. Now I do place a label( so nobody else will be locked up for my bad behavior and amazingly enough my quilts all turn out fabulous and have yet to be arrested. Good luck catching me quilt police cause first you have to prove me guilty!
Old 07-19-2010, 11:15 PM
Power Poster

I thought that in quilting...rules were Made to be broken LMBO There are very few that I follow, just call me a rebel 8-)
I am surprised that I haven't been cuffed and stuffed already :wink:
Old 07-19-2010, 11:33 PM

i'm sure i'll be arrested for admitting this but i do not handwhip my binding. i just fold and stitch and do my best to match my thread to the backing.
Old 07-20-2010, 03:44 AM

Being left-handed, for some reason cutting away from me with the rotary cutter doesn't work well...so, I cut toward me very carefully. I know it's wrong, but can't seem to shake this bad habit. Bring on the quilt police!
Old 07-20-2010, 04:00 AM

I have actually had the gall to use stitch witchery (iron on fusible stuff) to stick my binding on instead of sewing it!! worked great....its a wall hanging maybe someday I'll get around to actually handstitching it......who am I kidding not gonna happen...lol!!
Old 07-20-2010, 04:39 AM

I dont label. I have never made anything nice enough for people to care about after Im dead. Plus if I gave it to them and they cant remember that it cant be that important.

I always have one poorly mitered corner and machine my binding both sides and my bindings tend to not be even. I have been known to use stitch witchery to do many things that would make the quilt police turn on the sirens and pull out the cuffs.

Also the way I use a rotary cutter makes all but the blind hide in horror.
Old 07-20-2010, 04:46 AM

HHHHMMMMM, I didnt know there were rules to quilting, I thought it was a form of art, which there are no rules, you do what makes you happy.
Old 07-20-2010, 04:49 AM

Well, where should I start?....
not caring if the corners are cut off,
doesn't really matter if the seams line up
'Square' is a frame of mind
I like a 'wavy' border
my dog LOVES a new quilt
what do you mean ... your 'eyes need to rest' somewhere?....
What color wheel..
fabric has never been 'cheap' enough for me.
Old 07-20-2010, 04:53 AM

One of the first things my quilting friends and I ever said about quilting - there are no rules...!! Since then of course, we've altered that and said the 1/4 seam is important (when following a pattern) but if it's one you've made up or you are mathematically skilled add more to it and have fun!! :) I would be 'arrested' for not measuring my borders BEFORE sewing them on - I just make sure I have a strip longer than necessary and then sew it on... I do have quirks and HAVE to cut off the teeny triangles and threads (DRIVES me crazy for MY quilts - I would never point them out on someone elses - promise!!) Or my mitered corners on bindings still need lots of practice...