Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 6 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: any other have incidents with the quilt police or is it just me?

Blog Entries
    i started that topic telling you about the incident at the airshow over the weekend; last night i was reading some of the replies to my hubby and he was laughing all over again, then he said, what did they all say (meaning all of you) about the last time, when Ashley was assaulted? omg, i have completely forgotten about that time.
    WE ARE SLOW LEARNERS I GUESS...we keep taking our quilts everywhere...
    3 years ago, on the 4th of July we were in the park, myself, kids, and granddaughters...it was after the parade; this woman walked up to my granddaughter (she was 10 at the time) and literally yanked her quilt right out of her hands and demanded to know 'WHERE IS YOUR MOTHER?!?' I turned around and came to the rescue...along with the person whom i had been standing talking with 5 feet away...he was the town chief of police :-D . said woman was very obnoxious, (maybe drunk at 11am?) she was so 'indignant' she wound up going to jail...cited for public disturbance and assaulting a child...she paid lots in fines and was ordered probation for a year!
    AND WE STILL TAKE OUR QUILTS EVERY WHERE WE GO
    ya think we are just 'asking for it'? or just slow....
    I look forward to the next time...slowly but surely disbanding the gastapo...
    what really amazes me is that these things happen in the open when there are literally thousands of people around, they are so sure of themselves...
    the one this year was probably in her 60's...so maybe menapause (but i never behaved in any close way to this when i went through it)
    the one who assaulted my granddaughter...she was maybe 30...

NOT ME, Thank goodness, lol! Your lady would have scarred the **** out of me!!!!!!!!!!! I always try to be nice to people, so I dont think I would have even been able to answer her.

I am very glad to hear that the women who assaulted your dgd went to jail and paid fines. that is horrible that she would even dream of doing that to a child.

There must be something about your quilts that attract these UNDESIRABLES. Could we see some pics of these awwesome quilts or any of your quilts that are causing such a disturbance? You must be the BEST quilt maker to get such attention!!! Maybe you should set up a table & offer to sign books, programs, quilts, whatever since you attract so much attention wherever you go,lol!!!

Blog Entries
    My one time encounter with the quilt police was in a very large quilt store here in town. The staff has always been very friendly and helpful and I was talking to one of them about a color selection. I had my pattern in hand, a pieced applique that I was adapting to fusible applique. The woman walked by and overheard our conversation and made a passing comment, something like, you might as well color! I was so embarrased. Since then I really don't listen to negative comments. I love fusible applique, I don't know whether they will last 100 years or 5 years but I have fun, get to exercise my artistic abilities (such as they are) and my children, grandchildren and friends seem to like my quilts.

Blog Entries
    i am far from a fabulous quilter, they are (mostly) nice but nothing that spectacular...we just have a nack for running into ........ crabby (for lack of more colorful term) people. i have about 1000 pictures from my old computer on a disk...did not want to bog down the new one so have not put them on here...if i can figure out a way to pick and choose which ones i transfer i will start showing more pictures...today i have to learn excel spread sheet though ... i will work on the picture thing another day.

Quote Originally Posted by Pollyv9
    My one time encounter with the quilt police was in a very large quilt store here in town. The staff has always been very friendly and helpful and I was talking to one of them about a color selection. I had my pattern in hand, a pieced applique that I was adapting to fusible applique. The woman walked by and overheard our conversation and made a passing comment, something like, you might as well color! I was so embarrased. Since then I really don't listen to negative comments. I love fusible applique, I don't know whether they will last 100 years or 5 years but I have fun, get to exercise my artistic abilities (such as they are) and my children, grandchildren and friends seem to like my quilts.
    Some people just don't appreciate BEAUTIFUL when they see it. Or maybe she was jealous of your talents.

:-D :-D

I get the this a lot being a young quilter, with a lot of tattoos. The ladies in most of my lqs's don't even help me. I had one woman who told me my color choices were no where near "professional" quality. I told her I did not want my quilt to look "professional", just charming. That quilt has received more compliments than any other!

Quote Originally Posted by sahm4605
    I am very glad to hear that the women who assaulted your dgd went to jail and paid fines. that is horrible that she would even dream of doing that to a child.
    I have to agree. What nerve some people have. All my quilts are intended to be used, and I love to see others enjoying theirs.

Okay, this thread has really gotten me to thinkin. First off, the "broad" that accosted the child, if it would have been me, I would have decked to "old girl" with something! Defense would have been protecting my child.

But I really hate it when I hear of other quilters having a "better than you are attitude" towards anyone! We all have different preferences when it comes to quilts. If we were all the same THERE WOULD ONLY BE ONE QUILT PATTERN! Like DUH!

As far as the title "Professional", WAKE UP AND SMELL THE COFFEE LADIES! That is a totally SELF PROCLAIMED title! I have been piecing and longarm quilting for years. I have had quilts in shows and won awards but I still say I'm and "advanced beginner" because I learn something new ALL THE TIME!

And regarding the tatoos, WOW! My longarm mentor has tatoos, dreadlocks, and plays in a heavy metal band! Now that would really shake up your LQS owners. I love Karen McTavish, her techniques and her methods. My sister went to a class with Karen M., who showed up in tattered blue jeans and BAREFOOT. Best teacher my sister ever had the joy in meeting.

I learned at a very early age to never discount or judge anyone by anything. Just because they are decked out in a 3 piece suit doesn't mean they are rich or good people.

Tortoisethreads, you keep doing exactly what you are doing because you are contributing to the quilters world in your unique way.

Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    Am I missing something here?? Why exactly did that woman go nuts???

maybe because she was using the quilt on something other than a bed. It bothers me a bit when my children use the ones I have given them for a picnic table on the ground but it's not mine anymore. Any they enjoy them and are so grateful to have them.

Only one time have I ever encountered the quilt police and that was in a fabric store that was closing. She was one of the employees. She made me so angry that I left. But the next day (when the owners were there) I went back and said to her in a loud voice, "You were so rude and nasty to me yesterday that I left. After getting home I decided that you must have just been having a horrible day to treat a customer that way so I came back today to give you another opportunity to wait on me. The only thing is that today you are required to play nice in order to get my money. Now, where are we going to start? What would you like to show me?" Needless to say she was very pleasant that day but although I took a lot of her time I didn't buy all that much. LOL The bad thing is that she transferred to their store in Bourbonnaise, Il., and last I heard was still working for them. Everyone says she's only pleasant when the owners are around. Oh well, at least I don't have to deal with her any more.

My kids and I take tea kwon do (martial arts). If anyone assualts them the person would not fare well. I am not sure what is with people that they just go man handle children and others.

I was at a quilt show in Fort Smith, AR a couple of years ago, and overheard a vendor telling some ladies that "you cannot hand quilt with Warm and Natural". I wanted to yell at her that I ONLY hand quilt and I ONLY use Warm and Natural. What kind of thing is that to say to someone?? What if those ladies had been beginners and believed that blarney? She surely must have been pushing her own agenda.

Quote Originally Posted by tortoisethreads
    I get the this a lot being a young quilter, with a lot of tattoos. The ladies in most of my lqs's don't even help me. I had one woman who told me my color choices were no where near "professional" quality. I told her I did not want my quilt to look "professional", just charming. That quilt has received more compliments than any other!
    You go girl. I bet I would like your color choices but it doesn't matter as long as you like your quilt. I am a big orange and yellow fan and that seems to distress many people too but it makes me happy and that is what counts. It took me sometime to be confident and basically ignore the comments.

These people are everywhere!
    when I first started quilting I entered several of my small baby quilts ad walhangings in a local show.
    my aunt was helping "watch" the quilts and was there when they judged them.
    The comment was made that I wasn't a real quilter because I didn't miter my bindings! they also would not judge any that hadn't been hand quilted- this was in 1994.

our local sewing shop has always been rude this way, customers and clerks! I ran an embroidery business for several years. One day I needed a certain color thread and ran out! needed to get the order done and would take 4 days to order more so I thought I would check to see if they carried any as they sold embroidery machines.

the clerk seeing me looking at the embroidery rayons asked if I needed help.I told her what I wanted rayon 30wt white.
    she proceded to tell me that I was mistaken as rayon threads were only used for embroidery machines and I should look at the craft store down the road for my crafting supplies!
    Some people have nerve!

I was born lacking the gene that would cause me to lose confidence in myself because of something someone said. Another way to put it - I don't care what others think.

I'll tell you what I automatically do it in the situation when someone tells me I can't do it that way or I can only do it this way or I can't do it at all - my brain automatically goes "says you". :roll:

Try it - it will work for you too. :wink:

I have encountered the quilt police.

While working in the Machine Quilting guild booth at a quilt show, I asked a woman if she was a machine quilter or if she was looking for one (we welcome all machine quilters - Longarm, Mid-arm, Short-arm, and DSM (domestic sewing machine). We were looking to add members, and to help those piecers that were looking for a professional to quilt their quilts.

The woman started YELLING at me - "I" would NEVER allow a machine to touch my quilts. "I" can hand quilt a queen size quilt in 4 hours. You can't tell me that machine quilting is faster - I know that these quilts on display took longer to do, and they were done with a machine - so there! It's not any faster than hand quilting.

Holy Cow!! I still shake my head.....speed has nothing to do with it.

And just to be clear - I TOTALLY respect those that hand quilt. I tried it. I love the look, I just can't pull it off. Hand quilting and machine quilting are just different art forms - and to compare one to the other doesn't make sense. They each stand alone.

Quote Originally Posted by tortoisethreads
    A few years back, friends took me to a new business where the owners would tell you what colors look good on you. They had some clothes, grouped according to color palette (winter, summer, etc.) hanging on the walls as examples. When I pointed out that I would have paired "this with that" from two different palettes, their first response was "oh, no, they don't go together." So, I took down the pieces and put them next to each other. Their response "OH. They do look good together!"

I'm by no means a color expert, I just happened to like the colors of those two pieces of clothing. So, they taught me something new, but I opened their eyes to something new. That's how those LQS ladies should look at someone's choices! Sounds like they're stuck in a rut and full of themselves. Good for you, for sticking to your guns!

I was at my first quilt retreat and working on a quilt done in Amish colors. Everytime this one woman walked by where I was sitting she would say, in a nasty way, "Intense!!" She did it so many times that now my friend that was with me just has to say "intense" when we are working on something and we burst out laughing.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CarrieAnne
    NOT ME, Thank goodness, lol! Your lady would have scarred the **** out of me!!!!!!!!!!! I always try to be nice to people, so I dont think I would have even been able to answer her.
    I always try to be nice to people too, but some people need to be told that their actions are unacceptable. These ladies are way out of bounds and needed to be made accountable for their actions. No one has the right to tell someone else what to do with their own things.

My first response was "What the Hell?" I think I might have went all Hillbilly on the that Krakhead accosting my GD. You did have the police there, so maybe you wanted him to handle it. I have never heard of such a thing. just sayin,,,,,,,,,,,,

Quote Originally Posted by quiltlady37
    I was at my first quilt retreat and working on a quilt done in Amish colors. Everytime this one woman walked by where I was sitting she would say, in a nasty way, "Intense!!" She did it so many times that now my friend that was with me just has to say "intense" when we are working on something and we burst out laughing.
    If these people only knew just how funny they really are!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Shelley
    The woman started YELLING at me - "I" would NEVER allow a machine to touch my quilts. "I" can hand quilt a queen size quilt in 4 hours.
    WOW, I can only imagine the size of those stitches. lol

Now I do have one peeve where mistreatment of a quilt bothers me: At the end of the movie "How to make an American Quilt" Winona Ryder drags that beautiful WHITE quilt through the red dirt. I think that is just thoughtless and disrespectful to all the quilters who contributed. Doesn't mean I would manhandle anyone for it.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 ... LastLast