Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
any other have incidents with the quilt police or is it just me? >

any other have incidents with the quilt police or is it just me?

any other have incidents with the quilt police or is it just me?

Old 07-12-2010, 07:27 PM

When I was expecting #4, I had a couple of people make comments like "I didn't know you are Catholic" "I didn't know you are Mormon". I replied: "No, we're just careless".
Old 07-12-2010, 08:42 PM

I used to hand stitch only and had taken a wall hanging that I was in the process of quilting in to the LQS that was owned by a friend to show her. She was commenting on my stitching and another shopper came over. She looked at the seams closely and said "that's not hand sewn.. that's done on a sewing machine". I explained that I had made it and yes.. it was totally by hand.. she had the audacity to argue with me.. until I gave her a demo.. then she asked if I was going to hand quilt it and I explained that I was in the process and that I did a stab stitch or a needlepoint type quilting stitch.. she sniffed and told me that I "just didn't know how to quilt". I said.. well.. there are 3 layers and the stitching holds them all together so I guess that qualifies for quilting..

On the other part of the subject My grandmother for years (the dear tactless soul... bless her heart) would tell me I didn't need a man. they were just trouble.. finally one day to my surprise she confronted me and asked when I was going to get married.. about the 3rd time she did it.. I was frustrated and came back with "when someone answers the ad in the paper"..That ended that subject..lol.... much later in life she told me that perhaps I was the smartest one of the bunch...lol. I was the only one who had never married at that point.
Old 07-12-2010, 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by Shelley
When I was expecting #4, I had a couple of people make comments like "I didn't know you are Catholic" "I didn't know you are Mormon". I replied: "No, we're just careless".
My favorite nationally known quilter is about 40, has a boyfriend who's some years younger, and a 4-year-old. When asked about what happened with the 4-year-old, her answer was "Ooops!"
Old 11-10-2010, 11:39 AM

So my brother sends me 40 pics he wants on a quilt, and wants it done in blue flannel. You can tell a man picked the pictures, none of them really sweet and cuddly, but things that are important to his wife. So, because the flannel ravels so badly I use a full 5/8 seem. Because there are so many pics, I just treat each one as a
block, centering each on a 9x9 white block. kinda looks like an old fashioned photo album. putting them side by side with sashing between. Matching the blue to the most common blue in the pics. I get it all assembled, and quilt police (aka my nieghbor who has never done a quilt) come in. She starts in: why not use this yellow or this green instead of blue? or how about a nice floral? Why so many pictures? that makes the quilt look too busy and fussy! NO ONE uses 5/8 seems in a quilt! YOU need to take A QUILTING CLASS. you know NOTHING. But my dsil loved it, cried as she identified each picture. Quilt Police, GO AWAY!
Old 11-10-2010, 11:45 AM
Banned

As my husband and I would say....lots of crazies out there!!!
Old 11-10-2010, 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by cosyquilter
I get it all assembled, and quilt police (aka my nieghbor who has never done a quilt) come in. She starts in: why not use this yellow or this green instead of blue? or how about a nice floral? Why so many pictures? that makes the quilt look too busy and fussy! NO ONE uses 5/8 seems in a quilt! YOU need to take A QUILTING CLASS. you know NOTHING.
My answer would have been "who died and made you queen."
Old 11-10-2010, 04:54 PM

what snobs. i don't see how your tats make any difference in your ability to shop for fabric. and all of us have different opinions about what we find beautiful. if you are having fun doing it and it isn't hurting someone else, go for it! and don't let the snobs stop you or they win.
Old 11-10-2010, 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by laurac
what snobs. i don't see how your tats make any difference in your ability to shop for fabric. and all of us have different opinions about what we find beautiful. if you are having fun doing it and it isn't hurting someone else, go for it! and don't let the snobs stop you or they win.
Well, here's a picture of a quilter with (quilt police shudder) dreadlocks and tats. By the way, it's Karen McTavish check out her website. She's one of my favorite people and one of the best quilters and teachers around.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-123532.jpe  
Old 11-11-2010, 10:59 AM

Crashnquilt---AMEN---