Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
any other have incidents with the quilt police or is it just me? >

any other have incidents with the quilt police or is it just me?

any other have incidents with the quilt police or is it just me?

Old 07-10-2010, 09:39 AM

I think that you should finish the quilt using the fabric that you chose! I would do it just to spite the old cow!

Originally Posted by Luv Quilts and Cats
If a quilt can survive a cross country journy in a hot, dusty, dry, prairie schooner, then I think a quilt can stand being used on the ground. I make my quilts so they can be washed if they get dirty. I can't believe the incidents talked about here and how rude and self-righteous people can be. I have run into the quilt police only once so far. I signed up to take a class at a local QS, we were making a wall hanging with a snowman applique and the borders were pieced pine trees. When I went to the counter the owner looked at my green fabrics and said "that will never do. Two of your fabrics go, but the third sticks out like a sore thumb. Once the wall hanging is done, people's eye's are always going to be drawn to this green that sticks out. Let me find you another shade that will work." It was my second quilt class that I ever took, the owner was tecahing it, my friend had taken classes from her before and raved about her. I was not impressed. I did not like her and the quilt to this day is not finished. It's a UFO. I have toyed with the idea to just put plain borders on it and let it go at that. The woman does not own the shop anymore, she sold it to another lady who is 1,000 times sweeter and nicer.
Old 07-10-2010, 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by Aussie Quilter
Originally Posted by Dodee
A couple of years ago I went to a very large quilt show and had to take my walker. I was standing by a booth, minding my business and looking at some patterns, when a woman kicked the front of my walker and then got mad. Told me that "people like me shouldn't be there if I couldn't get out of the way". Haven't been back since.

Pity she didn't think "There but for the grace of God, go I", before she opened her mouth.
If I had been there and had heard what she said, I would have blown her ears back with such a forceful reply that she would have been without hearing for days! You have the right to go where you want and do what you want! That woman was out of line.

You are to be admired for the extra effort that you have to make to come to the show, walk around to see the quilts, chat about quilting, and shop!

I want to apologize to you for the disrespect that that woman showed you. I am sorry.

Please don't stay away from shows because of what one stupid woman said. I see all sorts of persons with scooters, wheelchairs, canes, and walkers at our guild's shows each year. In our guild, those who need assistance are treated with respect and consideration, the same as everyone who comes to our show.
Old 07-10-2010, 10:09 AM

Now, here's my story. Last year I was in a Bernina store when the clerk came up and asked me what I needed. I told her I wanted some machine oil. Although I still had oil, I was especially interested in the newest oil that they came out with when they introduced their new Bernina 830. Almost everyone in the quilting group that I belong to had switched to this new oil and everyone raved about it!

She snarled back at me, "Well, I won't sell that oil to you. You have a 730 and it won't work on your machine. Matter of fact, it could even invalidate your warrantee!" I was so taken back that I almost crawled out the door without buying anything.

Almost 9 months later I started to run out of oil, and I went back to Bernina to buy some. The same woman was the clerk on duty. I told her I needed oil, and she gave me the "new" type of oil.

I said, "I can't use this oil, remember I have a 730, and the last time that I was in you told me that it would invalidate my warrantee." Her face dropped about a foot as she remembered. Then she said is a very small voice, "Bernina only sells the new oil now and recommends it for all machines."

Wow, was that sweet! It still brings a smile to my face!
Old 07-10-2010, 01:53 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by ckcowl
Originally Posted by sueisallaboutquilts
Am I missing something here?? Why exactly did that woman go nuts???
my granddaugter did nothing ... she had not even layed the quilt on the ground (yet) it was tucked under her arm, her and her friend were discussing where to put it...and were quite animated when the crazy woman attacked! (and just an fyi...the quilt is a game quilt with hop-scotch and other 'outdoor' games on it, made for outside play) the woman grabbed it away from her and yelled..."where is your mother? someone need to explain a few things to her!"
police officer friend and i went right over and i asked her just what she needed to explain and why did you just take her quilt away from her? (officer was out of uniform/ not on duty) she turned to me and asked if i was her mother? i said no i'm and thats as far as i got...she told me she needed to talk to this childs MOTHER and i should mind my own business...at this point officer stepped in...she became very beligerent with him (not knowing of course...) all the while my poor granddaughter is like hiding behind us afraid...adults are not supposed to act this way... the only thing quilt related said during any of this was...this KID was about to put this on the ground and her mother should be shot...she went on to say more about respect/value...that's about as far as she got before she decided to take a swing at my friend (as she threw the quilt on the ground) granddaughter snatched it up and ran to put it back in the van...crying; the woman went from bad to worse and was hauled away in cuffs...my granddaughter's will not take their game quilts to the park anymore, they are afraid of being attacked.
WOW, you handled yourself so well, I am always nice to people, until they mess with my children or grandchildren, then its like a whole other person is born. there was one time I was at work when the kids were teenagers, I worked any were from 9 to 11 hours a day as a dental assistant, so there was no garuntee what time I would get home. my middle son is a very laid back easy going child, nothing ever upset him. one day he called me at work very upset because his friend had run away, and the step mom would not leave him alone, she kept calling him a liar and harrasing him because he did not no what time I would get home. I could not leave work, as I had patient care to give. that mother must have been waiting for me, because I no sooner got in the door, and she was there. I don't call my children names and never will. I am already upset because my child has had to deal with this behavure from an adult all day, and as his mother I could not be there to protect him. the first thing out of this womens mouth was your sons a lier. that was all it took. I steal don't no what I said to her, but by the time I was done with her, she was crying and apolagizing to my entier family. and when I came out of my anger, then I felt so bad, because I had this women crying and saying she was sorry to my whole family. will I ended up saying I was sorry to her because I felt like a big bully. God bless. Penny
Old 07-10-2010, 11:15 PM

One thing that most of these incidents have in common is that the adults in them feel that they have the right to bully other people. I love some of your replies, especially the humourous ones. Just ignoring bullying behaviour gives them tacit permission to continue doing it.
As Barbara Coloroso says, "You have to be prepared with a few good lines."
Regarding rude questions, a good response is, "Why would you ask?" (in your best incredulous voice, of course)
Regarding questions about being childless, a cousin of mine used to say, "I just hate babies, they're so ignorant!"
A response to the same question coming from people who claim to be religious, "You'll have to take that question to God, he made me barren."
When she was young, my daughter was upset about sarcastic remarks (such as, "Nice outfit, Jean.") she was getting from some snotty and wealthier classmates about her clothing. We pracised her saying in a falsely sincere and enthusiastically voiced reply, "Oh, thanks for sharing that with me." The next time that it happened, she came home without tears, and told me she had the line ready and had used it. "Good for you," I told her. "Yes," she answered, "And then I said to the girl, 'and you can borrow it any time you want.' "
Old 07-11-2010, 01:50 PM

As for the quilt police -- maybe you should be looking at this another way ... your quilts must look so good that total strangers feel they need to be protected from any possible harm. I can't even get the kids to pick mine off the floor.
Old 07-11-2010, 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by deanna.r
One thing that most of these incidents have in common is that the adults in them feel that they have the right to bully other people. I love some of your replies, especially the humourous ones. Just ignoring bullying behaviour gives them tacit permission to continue doing it.
As Barbara Coloroso says, "You have to be prepared with a few good lines."
Regarding rude questions, a good response is, "Why would you ask?" (in your best incredulous voice, of course)
Regarding questions about being childless, a cousin of mine used to say, "I just hate babies, they're so ignorant!"
A response to the same question coming from people who claim to be religious, "You'll have to take that question to God, he made me barren."
When she was young, my daughter was upset about sarcastic remarks (such as, "Nice outfit, Jean.") she was getting from some snotty and wealthier classmates about her clothing. We pracised her saying in a falsely sincere and enthusiastically voiced reply, "Oh, thanks for sharing that with me." The next time that it happened, she came home without tears, and told me she had the line ready and had used it. "Good for you," I told her. "Yes," she answered, "And then I said to the girl, 'and you can borrow it any time you want.' "
Love, love, love that come back! Your daughter done herself proud! haha
Old 07-11-2010, 03:29 PM

Never met the quilt police but I have met the knitting police and the neighborhood dog police.

Knitters will yell and push just like the quilt police. Neighborhood dog police will round up a posse and then yell and push.

I was at a friend's house when her neighbor's dog got loose. I caught the dog and got him halfway back home when another neighbor started following and screaming at me. This brought other neighbors out to do the same. They claimed I was the owner of the dog and had to be punished. I was surrounded for 45 minutes until the real owner showed up and took the dog home. All people are crazy. I'm buying land in the boonies. Sayonara.
Old 07-11-2010, 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by DianD
There are people everywhere who tend to carry a "frank license." Where they get them, I don't know! Seem people will attack over the silliest things. In the past, I have been verbally abused for not having children..."Whats wrong with you? Aren't you ever going to grow up?" My personal favorite is "Who has the problem, you or your husband?" I used to cringe, but now I say," Well, I did have 6 children, but they were noisy and wanted to eat all the time, so I just dropped 'em off out in the country!" By the time they have recovered, I've turned on my heals and walked away
sometimes HAVING children gets the same nasty comments. I almost had a knockdown dragout fight with a lady who wanted to know what language my adopted Korean born son would speak when he grew up. (a week later, I had the same discussion with a 12 yr old girl...who figured out he would speak English since we spoke that to him at home). The worse was the lady (in the same grocery store!), who, when she turned around and saw me, asked me if I was 'married to some Chinese guy'. Any other time, she would have gotten more info on adoption than she ever needed..but that day, I just said.....NO.
Old 07-11-2010, 04:40 PM

It sounds to me like that person you met in the park may have been mentally ill. It is not normal to be that aggressive without provocation.

I have not enjoyed reading how people have been gleefully saying what they would do to her. Maybe her life is constant suffering because she suffers from paranoid delusions or something. Maybe she has no health insurance and cannot get treatment.

Apart from that, if you do find someone who is very agressive like that, taking them on is not a very wise thing to do. If she is in a place where she finds attacking a child to be OK, how do you think she is going to react to you attacking her? It was lucky the policeman was nearby. I wonder if he requested a psych consult for her while he had her in custody.