Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: I have a question for the quilt police!

Blog Entries

Question I have a question for the quilt police!

I have been trying to figure out what to do with the quilt top that is on my avatar. I think I'm going to machine quilt in the applique and hand-quilt the white part.

Is this acceptable? Or does it "need" to be all one or the other? I am hoping to give away or sell this quilt, so I can't go by the "Your quilt, your rules" motto. I need to worry about what someone else would like and would it hold it's value.

Sorry there are no Quilt Police here. I think your idea sounds lovely though!

Blog Entries
    I don't think it would matter as long as it looks good.

Blog Entries
    Since I answered does this mean I am the quilt police??? I hope not... sigh

seriously do what you think will look good because the person who buys it is going to want a quilt that is beautiful not one that is done in the way the quote Quilt Police want it done!

Power Poster
    If you are going to do hand quilting in the white part (the majority) I would hand quilt it all. When you are describing it for sale, Awesome Hand Quilted Applique Quilt sounds better than Applique quilt part hand quilted/ part machine quilted. You are more likely to get more money for a all hand quilted quilt too. However if you want it done fast, completely machine quilt it and go from there.

Well what I know is whatever you decide will be beautiful. Personaly I would machine quilt all of it, as I don't hand quilt.
    I do however love the look of hand quilting. In this market today you will be hard pressed to get what it is worth whatever you decide.
    http://www.skillpages.com/DonnaValleyquiltermo
    Sweet Dreams come from under Cozy Quilts made with love.
    Life is short, take time to enjoy it. Play with your kids and g-kids,
    and do what you can for others.

I agree Tartan, guess that makes her and I partners on the police force. But I think value wise...all one...or the other.
    Some people visit paradise, I live there.

There are no rules, nor best practices that would apply to every quilter or every quilt. I often read the descriptions of the techniques used in quilts in magazines and quilt show catalogs and there are award winning quilts (Paducah award winning, not local guild award winning) that have both machine and hand quilting on them, depending on the area quilted, or the techniqe needed.

Which ever way is the BEST way for YOU and the QUILT is the RIGHT way.
    May your stitches always be straight, your seams always lie flat, and your grain never be biased against you.

Sue

I would handquilt the whole thing but that is just me. It will be beautiful either way. I think if the applique is done by hand that would make it even more valueable.
    Trying to sew, quilt or read everyday.

Personally, I agree with the all hand quilted.

Blog Entries
    Here is a picture of it. As you can see, the applique does take up a lot of the top. It is machine app'd.
    What I'm thinking is quilting some texture on the branches and leaves and flowers and I can put a lot more detail on it with a machine than I can with just a needle.
    I am not in a hurry for it.

Quote Originally Posted by AshleyR View Post
    I have been trying to figure out what to do with the quilt top that is on my avatar. I think I'm going to machine quilt in the applique and hand-quilt the white part.

Is this acceptable? Or does it "need" to be all one or the other? I am hoping to give away or sell this quilt, so I can't go by the "Your quilt, your rules" motto. I need to worry about what someone else would like and would it hold it's value.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by AshleyR; 01-12-2012 at 12:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Up North View Post
    Sorry there are no Quilt Police here. I think your idea sounds lovely though!
    I agree with Up North
    When you sleep under a quilt, you sleep under a blanket of love.

I recently machine quilted the sashings and cornerstones on a quilt and tied the blocks. I was very happy with the results. Policing is a personal thing. If you're happy with it then that's all that matters.
    If no one ever experimented we'd all still be making 4 patches.

Quilts are often finished with a combination of quilting methods. They are described simply as 'hand and machine quilted', not 'part hand quilted/part machine quilted'. I think your idea and reasoning about adding detail to the appliqué with machine quilting is very suitable, especially since it was machine appliquéd. A simpler hand quilting pattern, as long as it suits the overall quilt design, would draw even more attention to the appliqué.

You could always try it on just one flower appliquéd to a square of the white as a test run to see if you like the effect of the two methods together. I certainly don't think mixing them would lessen the intrinsic value of the finished quilt any, not in this day and age.
    The Earth without art is just "Eh".

I would hand quilt the inside part and machine quilt the outside. I just think you will have more problems with 'puckering' or laying flat in the center area. Using a combo doesn't matter so long as the final result looks great.

Blog Entries
    Nope, don't see any quilt police here - must be out to lunch!

Lived in San Diego now retired in Eagar, AZ.
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
    If you are going to do hand quilting in the white part (the majority) I would hand quilt it all. When you are describing it for sale, Awesome Hand Quilted Applique Quilt sounds better than Applique quilt part hand quilted/ part machine quilted. You are more likely to get more money for a all hand quilted quilt too. However if you want it done fast, completely machine quilt it and go from there.
    the problem is, you WON'T get more money for the hand quilted product...you can ask for it... and hope, but the price difference will hold up any sale... put a few appliques on a 2' square and then try your plan... you can tell if it's pretty (and i cannot see why it wouldn't be) and then you will have some idea what it will look like...i'm not sure of your reasoning... I hand quilt the difficult and detailed part (like your center) and then fill in the backgrounds quickly and as fully filled as i like with the longarm.... different strokes for different quilters!

Do what you think will look good because whomever who buys it is going to love just the way it is.
    Dee

Today is the day the Lord has made..Let us be glad and rejoice in it!!

I started hand quilting a wall hanging and got so frustrated that I wasn't getting it done that I just had it machine quilted the rest of the way. My friend who received it loved it!!!
    Patricia

The quilt police won't tell you - it's your quilt, do it any way you want! As long as it makes you happy, it's right!

There are no rules. I know a woman who sells quilts professionally and she mixes hand and machine all the time.

I like the idea of machine quilting the applique because you can use decorative stitches that will look as if they are part of the applique design and the quilting is just an additional benefit. Don't forget that from the back side you will have a whole quilt design and you have to consider that as much or more than the front quilting look. I would personally want the whole quilt machine quilted if I were going to buy it because I would want the white part to be very close and intricately quilted. I would want the quilting to be so pretty that the back side would almost be considered to be the front side by some. You have the start of an award winning quilt here if the quilting is also award winning. I can see it being worth well over $1,000. Can't see your borders.
    Last edited by TanyaL; 01-13-2012 at 06:32 AM.

I have done both hand and machine quilting on the same piece. I think it is whatever you like.

Not a member of the force, but I think you should go with your idea.
    With quilters for friends, I will always be warm.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast