Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
any other have incidents with the quilt police or is it just me? >

any other have incidents with the quilt police or is it just me?

any other have incidents with the quilt police or is it just me?

Old 07-09-2010, 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by DianD
There are people everywhere who tend to carry a "frank license." Where they get them, I don't know! Seem people will attack over the silliest things. In the past, I have been verbally abused for not having children..."Whats wrong with you? Aren't you ever going to grow up?" My personal favorite is "Who has the problem, you or your husband?" I used to cringe, but now I say," Well, I did have 6 children, but they were noisy and wanted to eat all the time, so I just dropped 'em off out in the country!" By the time they have recovered, I've turned on my heals and walked away!
Went grocery shopping on a low budget week years ago, and was running a total on paper. Grouchy old lady comes up behind me, looks over my shoulder and says loudly "Why not just buy a calculator?" I turned around and said, "Why not just mind your own business?" Her husband burst out laughing and said to his wife, "She sure told you!"
People don't scare me anymore!
While in a department store, my very strong-willed toddler was gearing up for the mother of all tantrums. Realizing it, we were discussing the benefits of ice cream as we beat cleats for the door. As we passed another shopper, she said, under her breath "that's bribery." Stopped me in my tracks. She wouldn't look me in the eye, especially when I said loud enuf for the entire store to hear "Whether or not it's bribery, what it is, is absolutely none of your business." Didn't stay long enuf to see her reaction.
Old 07-09-2010, 09:59 AM
Power Poster

Sometimes bribery - also known as "rewarding better behavior" - works.
Old 07-09-2010, 11:34 AM

I own a restaurant in Vanuatu and about 5 years ago a tourist (on a cruise ship visit for the day) came with her family (DH & 2 teenagers) and her DH ordered a burger. Living on a small island, we sometimes have trouble getting some basic ingredients, this time we couldn't get tomatoes, so I had run out of what I had. We explained this nicely, and offered him a choice of cucumber or beet root, which he said he was fine with. The table next to them ordered a plate from a different part of the kitchen which still had a FEW slices of tomato left, and 2 slices were on their plate which came at almost the same time. Well, when SHE came up to pay, she "blew her cork" at me, telling me (as she pounded her fist on the counter) that I was nothing but a liar and "those tomatoes should have been on her husband's burger!" I explained that they were the last few slices of tomato, and that they came from another part of the kitchen, but she just ranted and raved (while her mortified family sneaked out the door, holding her money just out of reach, and after realizing there was nothing I could say or do, and she was causing such a ruckus, I offered to discount his mean by 50 cents, and she paid! That seemed to quiet her down. When she started to walk out (with everyone around staring and shaking their heads) I yelled out "Boy, you must be fun to live with-pity your poor family!). I shook the whole rest of the day, it bothered me so much!
Old 07-09-2010, 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by Vanuatu Jill
I own a restaurant in Vanuatu and about 5 years ago a tourist (on a cruise ship visit for the day) came with her family (DH & 2 teenagers) and her DH ordered a burger. Living on a small island, we sometimes have trouble getting some basic ingredients, this time we couldn't get tomatoes, so I had run out of what I had. We explained this nicely, and offered him a choice of cucumber or beet root, which he said he was fine with. The table next to them ordered a plate from a different part of the kitchen which still had a FEW slices of tomato left, and 2 slices were on their plate which came at almost the same time. Well, when SHE came up to pay, she "blew her cork" at me, telling me (as she pounded her fist on the counter) that I was nothing but a liar and "those tomatoes should have been on her husband's burger!" I explained that they were the last few slices of tomato, and that they came from another part of the kitchen, but she just ranted and raved (while her mortified family sneaked out the door, holding her money just out of reach, and after realizing there was nothing I could say or do, and she was causing such a ruckus, I offered to discount his mean by 50 cents, and she paid! That seemed to quiet her down. When she started to walk out (with everyone around staring and shaking their heads) I yelled out "Boy, you must be fun to live with-pity your poor family!). I shook the whole rest of the day, it bothered me so much!
bad manners should not bother you---the innocent victim--but I would have done just what you did
Old 07-09-2010, 12:20 PM

My sister-in-law's sister has made dozens of drop dead beautiful quilts, all hand quilted, and where are they? In a cupboard, all neatly folded, not on a bed or on display on furniture or hung on a wall. WHAT A WASTE!

I want to see the quilt, enjoy it and admire it, and if I give it as a gift I hope that person uses it as well. Your granddaughter probably takes the quilt with her everywhere because people notice it and compliment on it and it makes her feel special.

It took nearly 30 years of constant use for the quilt my husband's cousins made us for our wedding to wear out, but it did wear out, and I cried when I realized there was just no more room for repair, but I managed to salvage a nice section of it and the label they put on so I will always have something to remember it by.

And what is it with people and the number of kids you have? I have one son, we were lucky to have him, but it was like people either felt sorry for me or they thought I was being selfish for only having one.............so I use to introduce him as the reason we only HAD one child.
Old 07-09-2010, 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by lalaland
My sister-in-law's sister has made dozens of drop dead beautiful quilts, all hand quilted, and where are they? In a cupboard, all neatly folded, not on a bed or on display on furniture or hung on a wall. WHAT A WASTE!

I want to see the quilt, enjoy it and admire it, and if I give it as a gift I hope that person uses it as well. Your granddaughter probably takes the quilt with her everywhere because people notice it and compliment on it and it makes her feel special.

It took nearly 30 years of constant use for the quilt my husband's cousins made us for our wedding to wear out, but it did wear out, and I cried when I realized there was just no more room for repair, but I managed to salvage a nice section of it and the label they put on so I will always have something to remember it by.

And what is it with people and the number of kids you have? I have one son, we were lucky to have him, but it was like people either felt sorry for me or they thought I was being selfish for only having one.............so I use to introduce him as the reason we only HAD one child.
I was blessed with one child only. I always said I produced quality, not quantity.
Old 07-09-2010, 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by lalaland
I love it.....I did follow up my son with a beautiful daughter, but seriously he could very easily have been introduced as "the reason we only had one child" :)
Old 07-09-2010, 06:46 PM

The quilt police come in all sizes, shapes, colors, and levels of expertise. I was president of our local guild which was just getting a good start. I had given permission for several of the youngest members (who had volunteered)to purchase fabric, cut pieces and bag them for the members to make a raffle quilt. One of the older members came up to me and asked if I was really going to let them do all that without some experienced help. I said I had offered to help in any way I could. She asked what I would do if they ruined the fabric. I told her as far as I knew they were still making that same fabric and if they goofed we would simply purchase another yard or two. She was so mad at me for allowing them to proceed even after she had given me a piece of her mind. They did a fine job, and quilt was pieced, quilted and brought a good amount of money. So quilt on! Who cares what they think. Give youth a chance! The cricical lady dropped out of the guild and the younger ones are still going strong 25 years later! I really feel like I got the last laugh!
Old 07-09-2010, 10:26 PM

What a horrible person. Sure glad she did get some punishment. I think you handled it beautifully. I read your post about the airshow incident as well, and thought you handled that one great too. Makes me want to make a quilt just to take to those outside concerts and movies in the park just to dare someone say something.(just kidding) Since I go with my sis we use her double sided fleece---offers a little padding!!! LOL!
Old 07-10-2010, 02:11 AM

Originally Posted by kd124
What a horrible person. Sure glad she did get some punishment. I think you handled it beautifully. I read your post about the airshow incident as well, and thought you handled that one great too. Makes me want to make a quilt just to take to those outside concerts and movies in the park just to dare someone say something.(just kidding) Since I go with my sis we use her double sided fleece---offers a little padding!!! LOL!
Her daily life is her punishment!!!