Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
any other have incidents with the quilt police or is it just me? >

any other have incidents with the quilt police or is it just me?

any other have incidents with the quilt police or is it just me?

Old 07-08-2010, 05:59 PM

I took a class years ago and had the best advice ever. First only you know what the project was to look like when finished.
Second be firm,You made it this way because you like it that way. Third,who's business it any ways?
I have to thank a small shoppe in Maine. I was behind in every step,worried that I would never get it correct,To all of this worry I was told that Quilting should be fun,if not why do it?
Have fun! Just know that the quilt police can not enjoy all that we do!
Christina (Chrissy)
Old 07-08-2010, 06:08 PM

It is very sad,we are boxed and labled before we have a chance. People surprise us with their talents
when we least expect it. Plus we all come with differant packaging,she should have a warning lable on her,stay away I am closed minded.
This person showed her talent of being rude!
Have fun ! keep quilting.
Christina (chrissy)
Old 07-08-2010, 06:18 PM

Maybe you need to applique' on your next quilt, " I am a picnic/ground/play quilt. Please leave my owner/maker alone or you will go to jail!'

or "If you assault this quilt, risk going to jail."

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :roll:
Old 07-08-2010, 06:25 PM

My Mom made quilts for all her kids , Gkids and great gkids. we get together every year for a family picinic. this one year there were about 2 dozen of her quilts all over different ares of our picinic. she looke out and said Oh this is so wonderful to see every one love htere quilts so much . I couldn't be more proder of my familay and thank them all for showing there love to me by loving their quilts. She died a few years later but None of us will ever leave our quilts in a closet . or unused. we are very very proud of them,
Old 07-08-2010, 07:26 PM

For the ladies who think hand quilting is the only "real" way to quilt, I say if our great great grandmothers had had sewing machines, they would have used them too. Besides, I feel quilts are more secure and therefore last longer if they are done on the machine. I think it is a healthy attitude to want our quilts used and used up, it's a perfect excuse (as if I needed one) to make MORE.
I agree that we should all do what makes us happy. We had a saying in the 60s "Different strokes for different folks". Works for me!
Old 07-08-2010, 07:32 PM

I am so sorry that happened to your dear little one. But forgive me if I'm wrong, Quilts are meant to be used. I have wall hangings and I have quilts. I use my quilts because that's why I make them. Don't know about any one else but I use my quilts.
That is their intended purpose....
Is it not?
Old 07-08-2010, 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by DianD
There are people everywhere who tend to carry a "frank license." Where they get them, I don't know! Seem people will attack over the silliest things. In the past, I have been verbally abused for not having children..."Whats wrong with you? Aren't you ever going to grow up?" My personal favorite is "Who has the problem, you or your husband?" I used to cringe, but now I say," Well, I did have 6 children, but they were noisy and wanted to eat all the time, so I just dropped 'em off out in the country!" By the time they have recovered, I've turned on my heals and walked away!
Went grocery shopping on a low budget week years ago, and was running a total on paper. Grouchy old lady comes up behind me, looks over my shoulder and says loudly "Why not just buy a calculator?" I turned around and said, "Why not just mind your own business?" Her husband burst out laughing and said to his wife, "She sure told you!"
People don't scare me anymore!
You made me think of the time I was standing in line at the bank with my young son , about 4 or 5 years old, and he was acting up ( a real handful) so I scolded him and said something like "wait till I get you home " or something like that and I probably swatted him on the behind. Can't remember the exact words I used , after all it was about 45 years ago. A little old lady behind us was making tsk , tsk sounds because she thought I was a terrible mother acting this way. I turned and said to her, Do you want him? Never opened her mouth again !
Old 07-08-2010, 08:16 PM

wow after reading the other post i am wondering are all the women in your town very aggressive or do you just attract people like that !!!!!
i would make a quilt that says keep your opinions to yourself and dont touch or talk to the person holding this quilt !!!
Old 07-08-2010, 09:20 PM

I HAD AN INCIDENT WITH A FABRIC SHOP A FEW YEARS AGO....NOT QUILTING POLICE THOUGH. i HAD BEEN BUYING FROM THAT SHOP FOR A LONG TIME, THE LADY THAT WORKED THERE WAS SO MUCH FUN.....THE ONE DAY I WENT IN, THE ACTUAL OWNER WAS THERE. I WAS LOOKING FOR A PARTICULAR UPHOLSTERY FABRIC....A CRUSHED VELVET FOR AN ALMOST ANTIQUE COUCH. THERE WAS NONE IN THE SHOP WHERE UPON I WAS TOLD THAT "NO ONE USES THAT STUFF ANYMORE---IT IS SO FAR OUT OF FASHION" AND SHE BEGAN PULLING SOME REALLY MOD LOOKING FABRIC OFF THE SHELF. I SAID "THANK YOU, BUT I KNOW WHAT I WANT" TURNED AND WALKED OUT THE DOOR. AND I HAVE NEVER RETURNED. I DID CALL THE NICE CLERK AND EXPLAIN TO HER WHY I DO NOT SHOP THERE ANY MORE.
Old 07-08-2010, 11:28 PM

Wow. Never thought to see the day, when you can't take your quilt to the park or parade. With out being accosted by someone "who thinks they know what should and should not be done with your own personnel quilt."
What is the purpose of a good quilt? Hang on the wall? Or maybe in a museum?
My Grandmother, bless her heart, was very (she was full of love for us) and forgiving with the forts we made. With her quilts. If she got mad I never heard about it. We took picnics in the sand, sagebrush, on the rocks of the west desert. And all on quilts. Hand pieced, sewed, tied or quilted. They are a part of my memories just like the parades are.
Thank goodness. God bless you for defending your granddaughter and quilters alike.