Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
any other have incidents with the quilt police or is it just me? >

any other have incidents with the quilt police or is it just me?

any other have incidents with the quilt police or is it just me?

Old 07-08-2010, 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by QBeth
Not to put a bad rap on my home territory but those "quilt police" are lucky they don't live in the Northeast! No sugar and honey up here when it comes to rudeness. :-)
Ok, let's not bash Northeasterners. Some of us are very nice up here!
Old 07-08-2010, 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by MadQuilter
Originally Posted by DianD
In the past, I have been verbally abused for not having children..."Whats wrong with you?
I got comments on that too. Tackled those with a straight-faced: "Oh it's better that I don't have any. They require food on a regular schedule and I'm not allowed to lock them up in the garage when I want to leave."

Left some people with their jaw dropped.
This just made me laugh I cried. Next time someone asks me why I am not married, I am going to use your answer, only making appropriate for a husband. That is just too precious!
Old 07-08-2010, 03:49 PM

OMG- is there no end to your quilt stories? You might be frustrated, but I'm enjoying the heck out of them! Thanks for sharing.
DI
Old 07-08-2010, 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by catmcclure
Kill with kindness, (being from the South, raised in a Southern Baptist Church with the ladies group running the town, I learned from the best). When you encounter rude had no raising people, always answer with How Kind of You in the sweetest stickiest voice you have.

LOL. I used to have the sister-in-law from #$##. She thought since I was younger she could tell me what to do. I learned very early to answer any instruction/criticism with "You know, I hadn't thought about it that way." or "I'm sure you're probably right." or even "How original, I've got to think about that for a while." It shuts them down with no place to go because you've agreed with them and also indicated you're going to consider their advice.
what a wonderful way to handle such situations!!! May I copy your strategy?
Old 07-08-2010, 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by Luv Quilts and Cats
If a quilt can survive a cross country journy in a hot, dusty, dry, prairie schooner, then I think a quilt can stand being used on the ground. I make my quilts so they can be washed if they get dirty. I can't believe the incidents talked about here and how rude and self-righteous people can be. I have run into the quilt police only once so far. I signed up to take a class at a local QS, we were making a wall hanging with a snowman applique and the borders were pieced pine trees. When I went to the counter the owner looked at my green fabrics and said "that will never do. Two of your fabrics go, but the third sticks out like a sore thumb. Once the wall hanging is done, people's eye's are always going to be drawn to this green that sticks out. Let me find you another shade that will work." It was my second quilt class that I ever took, the owner was tecahing it, my friend had taken classes from her before and raved about her. I was not impressed. I did not like her and the quilt to this day is not finished. It's a UFO. I have toyed with the idea to just put plain borders on it and let it go at that. The woman does not own the shop anymore, she sold it to another lady who is 1,000 times sweeter and nicer.
I vote for doing it Your way. There is no "right or wrong", there is your choice.!!!!
Old 07-08-2010, 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by Dodee
A couple of years ago I went to a very large quilt show and had to take my walker. I was standing by a booth, minding my business and looking at some patterns, when a woman kicked the front of my walker and then got mad. Told me that "people like me shouldn't be there if I couldn't get out of the way". Haven't been back since.

Pity she didn't think "There but for the grace of God, go I", before she opened her mouth.
Old 07-08-2010, 04:57 PM

I think that to avoid this problem you should just stop using quilts on the Fourth of July. Strange how that timing is consistent. Maybe that's when they let the Quilt Police out in public! In the meanwhile, enjoy "your" quilts as "you" choose. No one else has a say in the matter. And the 60ish woman was not dealing with menopause - she was just really ornery and full of herself. Good for you!
Old 07-08-2010, 05:14 PM
Power Poster

Well, all I have to say is I was taught "if you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all"!

Some of ya'll encounters obviously weren't raised this way, and let their rudeness out on ya'll. So sorry ya'll had to encounter that.

Another thing, if it ever happens again, politely say "well thank you" and smile, kindness kills. :lol: :lol:
Old 07-08-2010, 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by DianD
There are people everywhere who tend to carry a "frank license." Where they get them, I don't know! Seem people will attack over the silliest things. In the past, I have been verbally abused for not having children..."Whats wrong with you? Aren't you ever going to grow up?" My personal favorite is "Who has the problem, you or your husband?" I used to cringe, but now I say," Well, I did have 6 children, but they were noisy and wanted to eat all the time, so I just dropped 'em off out in the country!" By the time they have recovered, I've turned on my heals and walked away!
Went grocery shopping on a low budget week years ago, and was running a total on paper. Grouchy old lady comes up behind me, looks over my shoulder and says loudly "Why not just buy a calculator?" I turned around and said, "Why not just mind your own business?" Her husband burst out laughing and said to his wife, "She sure told you!"
People don't scare me anymore!
My parents had 5 daughters, several were tomboys. One neighbor yelled at Mom and told her she had too darn many kids. My mom yelled back over the fence with "OK, you tell me which ones I should drown." Neighbor left us alone after that.
Old 07-08-2010, 05:58 PM

[/quote]

My parents had 5 daughters, several were tomboys. One neighbour yelled at Mom and told her she had too darn many kids. My mom yelled back over the fence with "OK, you tell me which ones I should drown." Neighbour left us alone after that.[/quote]

:-D :-D :-D