Oh no!

Old 08-22-2010, 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by Melinda in Tulsa
I think it is the principle of the matter. Airlines have cut out every single thing that used to be standard, and have not lowered their prices. I think it is rediculous that they charge for checked baggage. JMO... Then again, I refuse to fly for most of these reasons.

Sometimes people are flying for emergency reasons and it's all they can do to scrap up airfare, much less any extra charges.
I am with you! We are giving up customer service and paying more for less. It makes me think do I really want to fly anywhere?
Old 08-22-2010, 02:26 PM

He should have wrapped the quilt around his shoulders so he didn't have to rent a blanket on the plane. I too was sad seeing that quilt in the trash barrel.
Old 08-22-2010, 07:18 PM

Maybe it's just me, but doesn't it make sense that if you are flying, the airlines should expect that you will be bringing luggage with you!!?? Why in the world are you charged extra for luggage??!! YOU'RE TRAVELING!!!! Luggage is part of traveling! I've never met anyone yet who is going on a flight that doesn't take clean undies and a toothbrush with them!! Do they expect passengers to wear every item of clothing they are bringing so they won't be charged for their suitcase? Then everyone would have to pay extra for taking up too much seat room for being too "fat" because of the multiple layers of clothing!! Charge for excessive numbers of bags, but good grief let us bring some luggage as part of the ticket price!! :roll:
Old 08-23-2010, 05:00 AM

Originally Posted by Jude
Did anyone else see yesterday's news piece regarding people balking at additional charges for checking baggage on airlines?
So, here's this MAN outisde an airline terminal (AA I think, but don't know what city) throwing away items from his suitcase in order to hone it all down to "carry-on" status. When I saw the quilt go into the trash bin I almost jumped thru the TV screen. It looked new, I saw pink among multi-colored squares which were tied in their middles. OK, so maybe not "quilted", but pieced, and someone had done a lot of work! Probably more than one person in need of anger management by now; wonder if the dude is still alive! Maybe we need to go dumpster diving in front of airline terminals these days, gals and guys.
I saw that on TV and I was astounded. I would have looked for something else to throw in the trash instead of that beautiful quilt.
Old 08-23-2010, 05:09 AM

Fly Southwest. No extra baggage fees! And they are just good folks to fly with.
Old 08-23-2010, 06:02 AM

Originally Posted by Jude
Did anyone else see yesterday's news piece regarding people balking at additional charges for checking baggage on airlines?
So, here's this MAN outisde an airline terminal (AA I think, but don't know what city) throwing away items from his suitcase in order to hone it all down to "carry-on" status. When I saw the quilt go into the trash bin I almost jumped thru the TV screen. It looked new, I saw pink among multi-colored squares which were tied in their middles. OK, so maybe not "quilted", but pieced, and someone had done a lot of work! Probably more than one person in need of anger management by now; wonder if the dude is still alive! Maybe we need to go dumpster diving in front of airline terminals these days, gals and guys.
I saw the same thing and I was horrified, too. I was hoping he was being dramatic and would pull the stuff back out of the trash when the camersa went off. And if I were the person who had made that quilt for him......OH MY GOSH!
Old 08-23-2010, 06:07 AM

Originally Posted by pab58
Maybe it's just me, but doesn't it make sense that if you are flying, the airlines should expect that you will be bringing luggage with you!!?? Why in the world are you charged extra for luggage??!! YOU'RE TRAVELING!!!! Luggage is part of traveling! I've never met anyone yet who is going on a flight that doesn't take clean undies and a toothbrush with them!! Do they expect passengers to wear every item of clothing they are bringing so they won't be charged for their suitcase? Then everyone would have to pay extra for taking up too much seat room for being too "fat" because of the multiple layers of clothing!! Charge for excessive numbers of bags, but good grief let us bring some luggage as part of the ticket price!! :roll:
I don't know if airlines still think this way, but after 9-11, someone traveling without luggage sent up a real red flag!
Old 08-23-2010, 07:09 AM

Yes I saw the quilt. I am thinking someone snatched it up. Maybe the next person saw it or the person who pciks up the trash. I believe it was rescued.
Old 08-23-2010, 07:12 AM

I saw that news piece also. I was shouting at him through the tv. Could not believe my eyes. He could have just carried it.
Old 08-23-2010, 07:42 AM

Oh wow. If the quilt meant so little to him, that's fine. To each his own, I always say. But to just throw it away? It would have been better to offer it to a passer by or leave it with a note that said "Free." Although someone might have mistaken it for a bomb. LOL

That reminds me of something I heard a while back about how untrusting we are of strangers. These college students tried to trade people a $5 bill for a $1 bill. Most people said no. They couldn't believe there wasn't some catch. What would you have done???