Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How Do You Organize Your Fabric? >

How Do You Organize Your Fabric?

How Do You Organize Your Fabric?

Old 10-25-2010, 04:47 AM

My husband bought and installed wire bins in my sewing room closet. My stash is out of direct sunlight, and the fabrics can breath. My fabrics are color sorted. Childrens fabrics and holiday fabrics, solids,my tone on tone fabrics, and backing fabrics are separated as well. Easy to see and pick out fabrics when I start a quilting project. The bins slide out or can be removed.
After shopping for fabric, I sew up the ends of my fabric, wash, press and place in the color coordinated bin.
Old 10-25-2010, 07:25 AM

Color.
Old 10-25-2010, 07:34 AM

Location: A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....

Originally Posted by QBeth
A picture is worth a thousand words!

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-55359-1.htm
QBeth - What shelving units are those??????? That is an awesome idea.. I love it.. and you can close them to keep sun and dust at bay... Im super impressed!!

i have them separated in groups on their own separate shelving units, along all the walls..

1930 then by color
fat quarters then by color
Batiks then by color
baby, non holiday novelty- again sorted by colors
holidays separated and are in labeled plastic totes tucked in my walk in closet (xmas, valentines, st pattys, Halloween, Easter, 4th, birthday,etc, )
Rest all on bookcases by color/patterns/floral and such..
anything smaller than a fat qtr but bigger than a crumb gets folded in a wall cd case holder
Old 10-25-2010, 07:45 AM

Originally Posted by jrhboxers
Posted a second time to add about 'dedicated' fabrics - fabrics bought for a specific project/pattern in mind. These are stacked together - with the pattern usually or at least a name - bundled together and stacked on a separate shelf in a different cabinet. That way I am not tempted to pull from one project for another and end up with one fabric missing. If the pattern is from a magazine I make a copy of the picture page and - on theback - make a copy of the yardages needed. That gives me all of the information that I need and also tells me which magazine it is in. These are the sheets that I take with me to the store to pull fabrics for. When there is a good sale I will usually take 8 to 10 'project' sheets. I hate when I go shopping and find fabrics that I think is just perfect for a project and don't have the yardage information. I also listed on this sheet the sku numbers, names and stock numbers for each of my fabrics in case I do need to go back and find more.
IMHO you are wayyyy to organized. LOL
Old 10-25-2010, 07:50 AM

My stash is basically sorted by color though sometimes it's hard to keep it straight. I do have other stash that is also labeled as specific category such as Christmas or Upholstery. Alas, my stash is kept in plastic bins with labels huge labels that tell me what's hidden inside but still have to do the unstack, open, look, unstack, open, look, etc. Too much stash, so little time!!! LOL
Old 10-25-2010, 07:51 AM

Location: A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....

Originally Posted by jrhboxers
Posted a second time to add about 'dedicated' fabrics - fabrics bought for a specific project/pattern in mind. These are stacked together - with the pattern usually or at least a name - bundled together and stacked on a separate shelf in a different cabinet. That way I am not tempted to pull from one project for another and end up with one fabric missing. If the pattern is from a magazine I make a copy of the picture page and - on theback - make a copy of the yardages needed. That gives me all of the information that I need and also tells me which magazine it is in. These are the sheets that I take with me to the store to pull fabrics for. When there is a good sale I will usually take 8 to 10 'project' sheets. I hate when I go shopping and find fabrics that I think is just perfect for a project and don't have the yardage information. I also listed on this sheet the sku numbers, names and stock numbers for each of my fabrics in case I do need to go back and find more.
This is a great idea.. I have mine in a pile of to do's but I like your organized version a whole lot better- thanks for sharing..
Old 10-26-2010, 03:18 AM

Color and holidays and specific projects I want to make
Old 10-26-2010, 03:38 AM

Originally Posted by pieces
My husband bought and installed wire bins in my sewing room closet. My stash is out of direct sunlight, and the fabrics can breath. My fabrics are color sorted. Childrens fabrics and holiday fabrics, solids,my tone on tone fabrics, and backing fabrics are separated as well. Easy to see and pick out fabrics when I start a quilting project. The bins slide out or can be removed.
After shopping for fabric, I sew up the ends of my fabric, wash, press and place in the color coordinated bin.
just curious, why do you sew up the ends of the fabric before washing? do you sew a seam along the raw edges only?
Old 10-26-2010, 04:04 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Sadiemae
I sort by color, as well as the holidays have their own sections.
DITTO!
Old 10-26-2010, 04:05 AM

my husband put 2 4 shelf book cabinets together for me & I sort by background color - makes it real easy to stand back & decide what I need. Also works well when I am replenishing any of my stash.