Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Grrrr...pinked jelly rolls >

Grrrr...pinked jelly rolls

Grrrr...pinked jelly rolls

Old 10-31-2010, 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by sherriequilts
Originally Posted by BevD
I bought a Jelly Roll pattern book last year at our quilting show. Great book have already made two quilts and one top out of it, no problem...
My bad move lately was buying three jelly rolls on the internet and not realising - wasn't in pics - that the edges were pinked!!
My poor machine is so clogged I swear I will never again buy the pinked, I will ALWAYS email and ask if they are straight cut.
Bad enough the bits everywhere when you open the jelly roll, the bits on the ironing board when pressing seams but my poor machine had to suffer too..

Sorry about that, just had to stop CLEANING and have a gripe.
Not only that, but have you noticed that these rolls and the bali pops are not always true cut to 2 1/2 inches. sometimes as much as 3/16 to 1/4 inch off. That can be a disaster in a quilt of any size. Have pattern that requires 2 1/2 in strips and 1 1/4 inch strips. Pretty difficult to make these work. On another pattern had to trim each strip down to 2 1/4 in and rework the whole pattern as a result. Think they should be cut wider if they can not cut them true to 2 1/2 in. Won't be buying them again.
I agree...I bought a jelly roll and it was horrible to work with. I "thought" they were all die cut and staright...lol...they weren't. I got my quilt to work but it was horrible to work with and I will not be buying one again(even though they are so cute and all coordinated for you). I will just cut my own strips and make my own, that way if I mess up I can only be upset with myself.
Old 10-31-2010, 09:41 AM

I love them. I just take them outside to open them---and give them some good shakes. That gets rid of most of the little bits.

I run the outie pinked edge next to my 1/4 inch foot.

BUT---I bought a roll at Joannes that was straight cut but really off. I had to do alot of fudging and will not buy from them again.
Old 10-31-2010, 10:52 AM

I've had pinked and unpinked and I prefer straight edges. That was when the Moda jelly rolls first came out. I'm not a fan of the pinked because of all the crumbs and lint. btw all Moda precuts are pinked now.
Old 10-31-2010, 11:37 AM

With everyone talking about jelly rolls, I checked mine out. Need to use them.They look very straight, but haven't measured them yet. They're so pretty, I can see why they sell a lot of pre cuts.

Originally Posted by gale
I've had pinked and unpinked and I prefer straight edges. That was when the Moda jelly rolls first came out. I'm not a fan of the pinked because of all the crumbs and lint. btw all Moda precuts are pinked now.
Old 11-01-2010, 01:47 AM

I also thought that the pinked edges would be an advantage. Thanks Bev for the warning. Enjoy the Craft Show. I went to the one in Brisbane and it was good. Happy quilting.
Old 11-01-2010, 04:05 AM

I just used one in a quilt and had no problem, But I brush out the machine every time the bobbin runs out, so no lint buildup. I didn't notice any tiny fabric pieces. Oh, just realized it was a Moda batik fabric, so maybe that is why no tiny shedding pieces.
Old 11-01-2010, 04:22 AM

I just recently did a jelly roll sampler and didn't mind the pinked edges. You must make sure to guide the tips of those edges to get your proper quarter inch. Most all precuts have those edges...layer cakes, charm packs, jelly rolls; well at least the Moda ones all do. Moda is the only brand I have purchased so far. Have heard that Joann's and Wal Mart's precuts were not consistent in size; but no complaints on the ones from reputable fabric manufacturers to my knowledge.
Old 11-01-2010, 05:43 AM

I've found most charm squares are pinked, too, which I find annoying.
Old 11-01-2010, 05:52 AM

Have you tried putting them in the dryer with a wet towel and tennis ball that should nock some of it off I use that method quite often like when I want to fluff pillows or dust my drapes (too expencive to have them drycleaned every time)
Old 11-01-2010, 08:12 AM

Could you run them thru the dryer on air and release the threads there?