Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Does Everyone But Me >

Does Everyone But Me

Does Everyone But Me

Old 12-12-2010, 07:41 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Kmshir
I never wash my fabric, I love the way my finished quilts shrink and crinkles up after washing the first time
Yes, i agree!! :D
Old 12-12-2010, 07:47 PM

Don't prewash because I don't want to spray starch it later. Starching reminds me of ironing my X-husbands shirts years ago.....ickkkkk
Old 12-12-2010, 08:16 PM
Power Poster

I wash everything as soon as it comes in the door. I don't want any surprises later on, and I want to start out with clean fabric. Since everything in my stash has been washed, it's ready to be used. Sometimes that good quilt store fabric does bleed, or shrink unevenly, or otherwise behave badly. I want to know what the fabric feels like after it's washed, because that's what it will be like when the quilt's finished. (Some fabrics only have that shiny feel because they're loaded with sizing, and I want to be aware of that before I use it.) I want to be sure there are no allergens on the fabric, and that I've washed away any chemicals that may remain from manufacturing.

Quilts will still crinkle up the first time they're washed, even if the fabric was pre-washed. And good fabric retains the silky feeling after washing, so that really isn't a good excuse not to wash.
Old 12-12-2010, 08:30 PM

i wash! gotta ...... the sizing makes red, itchy spots on my wrists, arms, then my neck or face, etc. always put a cuppa white vinegar in that wash to set the colors - i had a navy blue bleed a coupla months ago when i forgot to do that! had to go back to the lqs to replace some of the other fabrics that ended up with a blue haze. :(
it's the batting that shrinks a tiny bit; i otta wash that, too.
Old 12-12-2010, 08:30 PM

I don't prewash either. Like the look after it shrinks.
Old 12-12-2010, 08:32 PM

I quit prewashing years ago.
Old 12-12-2010, 08:45 PM

Yes, I pre-wash for medical reasons...the chemicals in the fabric are just too much for my system...I get ill if I don't. I realize most people aren't this sensitive...but I do think it's important to pre-wash a quilt if it's going to be used for a baby. Their systems are so young I wouldn't want to expose them to unnecessary chemicals that might irritate them in any way.
Old 12-12-2010, 08:48 PM

I prewash only for swaps here, otherwise, nope. I don't like the way the fabric feels after it's been washed, nor do I like the mess of cutting the edges that frayed in the washer.
Old 12-12-2010, 08:52 PM

I have never washed any fabric before using until now. Someone said she got maggots. That did it. I have some white linen fabric my sister gave me that belonged to her mil and I have it in the washer right now. I don't know the source as it came from her mil who passed away this fall.
Old 12-12-2010, 08:52 PM

I always pre-wash. Even if I didn't before, I would now. There is an epedemic of bed bugs and I wouldn't want to bring any of them into my quilt room if I can help it. I also lightly rinse and dry my batting for the same reason.
I also don't like the idea of handling all those chemicals that are used in today's fabric. But that's just me.