Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Organizing Fabric Question >

Organizing Fabric Question

Organizing Fabric Question

Old 12-19-2010, 06:33 AM

I have gotten so overwhelmed at times that I organize by project first and the then left overs are by color
Old 12-19-2010, 06:41 AM

Love the way you separated your scraps. Mine all get tossed in a basket which means I have to dump it out to find the small piece of a color I need.

Will need to explore your idea further! Thanks for sharing!
Old 12-19-2010, 06:45 AM

We're supposed to organize? Guess I didn't get that memo.
Old 12-19-2010, 07:32 AM

Originally Posted by lanagan
Love the way you separated your scraps. Mine all get tossed in a basket which means I have to dump it out to find the small piece of a color I need.

Will need to explore your idea further! Thanks for sharing!
THAT'S WHAT I DO! Gotta look in goodwill for clear plastic containers! She has some great ideas and organization tips. Guess what I'm doing today?
Old 12-19-2010, 07:35 AM

Originally Posted by RkayD
I do mine mostly by color. Makes it easier to see what I've got...I also used the foam boards so that my fabric sits up like bolts. I went to Lowe's and bought a pkg of the foam floor underlayment for $37..I got hundreds out of it as opposed to the 4-5 you get from the art foam boards at $4 each. Made a huge difference in actually seeing what I have. My FQ's are stored by color in a wooden shoe storage cabinet. Perfect. My scraps are also sorted by color...this picture of my scrap buckets were taken last year...its exploed since then...=) that means I've been sewing!! =)
Do you cut down your scraps ? If so how big? Mine are so sloppy
Old 12-19-2010, 07:43 AM

ORGANIZE? Can you define that for me please??
Old 12-19-2010, 08:27 AM

If I have a project going on, I put all that fabric in a Rubbermaid tote until the project is done. Then i fold it & put it according to color in my cabinets.....

I also fold my fabric around a 6 X24" ruler so they all are the same width no matter what the yardage. Anything under a half yard is put in a Rubbermaid cart with drawers or a dresser, folded with a 4" wide ruler.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]145138[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-145133.jpe  
Old 12-19-2010, 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by Izaquilter
If I have a project going on, I put all that fabric in a Rubbermaid tote until the project is done. Then i fold it & put it according to color in my cabinets.....
Thank you so much for answering my questions. Just 1 more? So after a project, you get your "project" tote, fold the leftover, if it is LESS than 1/2 yd. you separate it from the smaller pieces? Put the small pieces in the plastic containers by color, then 1/2 yd or less in a cabinet by color?
I was always trying to keep every bit of fabric together!
Old 12-19-2010, 09:06 AM

Ok I think it may have been my fabric you saw. At least part of it LOL! I seperate general fabric by color. I also seperate by type ie Orientals, 30's, Civil War, Moda Marbels. and sometimes I try to keep lines together if I am going to design a pattern with that fabric. So that is how I determine where it goes. I also fold the fabric over a 6 by 24 inch rulerr just like it comes off the bolt. I slid it off and fold in half. I love seeing all the fabric neatly organized and as I said before I can pull fabric easier for projects.
Old 12-19-2010, 09:13 AM

I do mine by color. I wind them around my big ruler, then pull the ruler out and fold them in half. I put a little note on them with the amount of fabric. I've also written the amount on the selvage edge, but it's harder to find there. Sorting by color allows me to see at a glance how much I have of each and whether I need to buy more or less when I'm out shopping.