Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
You ever think your just not good at this ? >

You ever think your just not good at this ?

You ever think your just not good at this ?

Old 12-31-2010, 07:21 AM

I agree with the others that we are our own worst critics. The problem is that we see each stitch as it happens and worry about each step. But when the project is finished, most people only see, and appreciate, the overall effect. Don't give up!
Old 12-31-2010, 08:07 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by sueisallaboutquilts
...My greatest skill seems to be BUYING FABRIC lol
Hey, me too!
Old 12-31-2010, 08:15 AM

I feel that way when I go to the big quilt shows (Paducah and Houston) I am trying to compare myself to people who have been doing this a LONG time. I'm hoping to be half that good in 5-10 years. If not, I sure have enjoyed the process. I see improvement with each quilt I make. I don't make quilts for show, probably never will. I'm pretty happy with the end result.
Old 12-31-2010, 08:18 AM

Dont be so hard on yourself. If you enjoy doing this, then thats all that counts. Just take your time and enjoy...
Old 12-31-2010, 08:45 AM

We're all in trouble if Dunster isn't satified with her gorgeous work!!!

I goofed repeatedly on my first D9P last night. I kept thinking, "This is supposed to be an 'easy' one. What would I do with a difficult one?" I finally did a block the way I wanted and pinned it to the drapes in front of my machine so the next eleven go better. My machine sews too well to rip out easily.
Old 12-31-2010, 09:25 AM
Power Poster

We're all in trouble if Dunster isn't satified with her gorgeous work!!!

I was thinking the exact thing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D:D:D
Old 12-31-2010, 09:30 AM

This post has me thinking about my great aunt Edith. She passed at 93, having been a Quilter all her life. She done everything by hand til she stopped quilting the year she died because of arthritis. She must have given me and my daughter 10 or so quilts, I purchased several additional ones as she needed money later in life. From her Estate, I was given 4 quilts that no one wanted, remember the Bonded Knits lol. I do not know how many quilts she made in her life time, some simple, many elaborate but it must have been hundreds. The thing is , every quilt she gave me thru those years was always the beautifulest, the prettiest, I thought she made the most beautiful quilts in the world.Aunt Edith died the year I started to learn to piece. When I brought home the quilts they had given me, I set down and really looked at each one. Guess what?! she had some points that did not line up. Yup, and some of her blocks were kinda crooked. The point of all this being, I still think my Aunt Edith was the best quilter in the world. She could take a rummage bag of old clothes and make the most beautiful creations. and that is what I will always remember and cherish. I have a Wedding Ring that she gave me in 1977 on my quest bed. Lots of the little pieces are gone, but I think of her everyday and my wonderful treasures.She loved me and I sure loved her back.
Old 12-31-2010, 10:05 AM

Guess I was afraid that I would have a quilter see my work and do the q police! I have one person who had done this to me so I am somewhat on edge! On the other hand, as long as my hubby loves it that is all that matters really! I will try to post a pic later this week!
Old 12-31-2010, 10:08 AM

Whenever I see a "perfect" quilt, I know it's not it's NOT one of mine! Nope, ya just can't buy my brand of imperfection! :lol: The important thing to me is the thought, time, effort, & love that I put into a quilt. With each one, I get alittle bit better at something. And in my book, any completed quilt is an heirloom to be treasured!
Old 12-31-2010, 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by deedum
I hope to finish the binding tonite on a quilt for my dh, it it a pattern that I made up due to the material design itself. I am just not thrilled with quality of my work. It won't ever win any award, but my dh says it doesn't have to be perfect for him! Bless his heart. I had hoped to finish it for his birthday in November, then my goal was Christmas, now my goal is New Year's. Ever glad to be done with a project? Sometimes I think I am just no good at this stuff. Then I look at it and think it is not that bad. Then I think I am just not cut out for this stuff. Then, like a nut I turn around and start again......
Never say you are not good at this-----I started an applique train quilt for my grandson when he was about 2 years old. I kept getting so discouraged with some of the details and would put it away and forget it. I finally decided enough was enough and finished it for his 11th birthday. He was so happy as he had been waiting on it a long time. It is not exactly like the original pattern but it is mine and I am proud of how it turned out. Then I turned around and made one for his sister and finished it in just a few months. Both grandchildren display them proudly on their bedroom walls. Hope this makes you feel better.