Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
I guess I'm older than I thought >

I guess I'm older than I thought

I guess I'm older than I thought

Old 01-25-2011, 07:15 PM

Wow! This is more common than I thought. I'm 60 now, but it was about 25 years ago that I bent from the front seat of the car over to the back of the car to pick up a styrofoam cup, and my husband ended up having to roll me into our old van and take me to the chiropractor who worked wonders, and I spent 8 weeks with daily therapy to get back to standing up normally. To this day, I sometimes have an ache in the same place.
Old 01-26-2011, 03:47 AM

I slipped and hit the floor lightly, or so I thought, landing on my butt. The next day I could hardly move I was in such pain. I called my Dr. and she sent medication for muscle spasms. I took the meds and sat on a heating pad and a few days later all was well again. Hope you feel better soon.
Lori
Old 01-26-2011, 03:57 AM

This, in our family, is what we call a hexenschus. In German it means "Shot by a Witch". Right? I got the worst hexenschus
one day when I was sitting on the living room floor cleaning out my sewing box. I reached about 6" and I was so totally zapped by this pain! It was the dreaded Spasm!!!!! It took me 45 minutes to get from a sitting position - legs crossed, to literally crawling to a chair, reaching for the archway bookcase and grabbing on to it to pull myself up. After a I moved around for a bit, it let up, but didn't go away. I have had many hexenschus's and the doctor told me I was in so much pain because I stand straight. As long as I stand straight, I won't favor the pain and won't end up hunched over. I also lay on the floor, reach my arms to one end of the room and my feet to the other end of the room - don't even try to imagine!!! This stretches the spine and releases the spasm. I also do not stop what I am doing. I keep right on - scrubbing floors, vacuuming, going grocery shopping, bringing in the groceries. The whole ordeal can last three to five days, but the end result is a stronger back, a straighter back and the knowledge that I can do it myself. I do think, however, the worst part is getting a spasm trying to get out of bed, you know, rolling out of bed(?), or getting up off the throne! Sitting is probably the worst thing because of the "L" shape when you sit. I either stand or lay on the floor!

Good luck with the dreaded HEXENSCHUS - pronounced hexen-shoose! Edie

PS - these spasms started when I was in my 20's and am now in my 70's. Never killed me!
Old 01-26-2011, 04:07 AM

Originally Posted by Edie
This, in our family, is what we call a hexenschus. In German it means "Shot by a Witch". Right? I got the worst hexenschus one day when I was sitting on the living room floor cleaning out my sewing box. I reached about 6" and I was so totally zapped by this pain! It was the dreaded Spasm!!!!! It took me 45 minutes to get from a sitting position - legs crossed, to literally crawling to a chair, reaching for the archway bookcase and grabbing on to it to pull myself up. After a I moved around for a bit, it let up, but didn't go away. I have had many hexenschus's and the doctor told me I was in so much pain because I stand straight. As long as I stand straight, I won't favor the pain and won't end up hunched over. I also lay on the floor, reach my arms to one end of the room and my feet to the other end of the room - don't even try to imagine!!! This stretches the spine and releases the spasm. I also do not stop what I am doing. I keep right on - scrubbing floors, vacuuming, going grocery shopping, bringing in the groceries. The whole ordeal can last three to five days, but the end result is a stronger back, a straighter back and the knowledge that I can do it myself. I do think, however, the worst part is getting a spasm trying to get out of bed, you know, rolling out of bed(?), or getting up off the throne! Sitting is probably the worst thing because of the "L" shape when you sit. I either stand or lay on the floor!

PS - these spasms started when I was in my 20's and am now in my 70's. Never killed me!
Wow you're a wonder woman!
Even if I could get down on the floor I'd have to crawl over to the couch to help me get back up..lol.
This is day 3 and I'm feeling a "scrinch" better. But the soreness and stiffness is still there.
I have to babysit 3 of my grandkids tomorrow (one is a toddler) so I hope I don't have to lift him too often!
Old 01-26-2011, 04:20 AM

Originally Posted by AlwaysQuilting
Originally Posted by Edie
This, in our family, is what we call a hexenschus. In German it means "Shot by a Witch". Right? I got the worst hexenschus one day when I was sitting on the living room floor cleaning out my sewing box. I reached about 6" and I was so totally zapped by this pain! It was the dreaded Spasm!!!!! It took me 45 minutes to get from a sitting position - legs crossed, to literally crawling to a chair, reaching for the archway bookcase and grabbing on to it to pull myself up. After a I moved around for a bit, it let up, but didn't go away. I have had many hexenschus's and the doctor told me I was in so much pain because I stand straight. As long as I stand straight, I won't favor the pain and won't end up hunched over. I also lay on the floor, reach my arms to one end of the room and my feet to the other end of the room - don't even try to imagine!!! This stretches the spine and releases the spasm. I also do not stop what I am doing. I keep right on - scrubbing floors, vacuuming, going grocery shopping, bringing in the groceries. The whole ordeal can last three to five days, but the end result is a stronger back, a straighter back and the knowledge that I can do it myself. I do think, however, the worst part is getting a spasm trying to get out of bed, you know, rolling out of bed(?), or getting up off the throne! Sitting is probably the worst thing because of the "L" shape when you sit. I either stand or lay on the floor!

Wow you're a wonder woman!
Even if I could get down on the floor I'd have to crawl over to the couch to help me get back up..lol.
This is day 3 and I'm feeling a "scrinch" better. But the soreness and stiffness is still there.
I have to babysit 3 of my grandkids tomorrow (one is a toddler) so I hope I don't have to lift him too often!
No, Ma'am, I am not a wonder woman. No. 1 I don't like doctors, and once you see him once, you pretty well know what to do and what not to do. With the little ones, do not bend over, squat down, play at their level, keep your back straight. No. 2, I have had so many hexenschuses that they have become a part of the family, not welcome, mind you, but part of the family. Just think of how good you will feel when it has calmed down. Edie
Old 01-26-2011, 05:19 AM

Getting older is not for the faint of heart.
Old 01-26-2011, 05:23 AM

webmd.com for advice on bad back exercises.http://www.webmd.com/back-pain/lower...show-exercises
Old 01-26-2011, 05:42 AM

geez, yes! and at 40 - some thousands of ys ago, lol! I was just brushing my hair! One stroke too many, I too believe in chiropractors. They really can push and pull things into place. sharet
Old 01-26-2011, 05:58 AM

Yoga is your friend! I've had back and shoulder troubles on and off for several years (from mild pain and muscle spasms to being "out of joint" and not able to move/sit/stand), and the yoga classes are helping tremendously. Not invasive, no drugs, and you work to the level of your comfort...gets better each week.
Old 01-26-2011, 06:17 AM

Originally Posted by Julie in NM
webmd.com for advice on bad back exercises.http://www.webmd.com/back-pain/lower...show-exercises
The very most important thing is that you HAVE to see a doctor - not a chiropractor - the first time your back goes. Find out what it is. Is it a muscle spasm, pulled muscle, herniated disc or discs. I say this because my husband had a bad back and was told to go to a chiropractor and he hurt his back even worse. He found out by an orthopaedic physician that he had 2 - L-4-5 discs herniated and it could have been disastrous. I am not saying chiropractors are not good. I am just saying check and see what the problem is first. Like I said before I have had this for 50 years - same old - same old and I know how to treat it. My husband was lifting a discarded automobile tire off of a street sign - truth - and that was how he got herniated discs. Was off of work for several weeks, physical therapy for several months. He is 75 - bad weather, over work, may set it off, but at least he knows. Just be sure you know why your back is hurting. Generally you know a spasm, it curls the hair in your nose. Edie